Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

D Hook

• D Hook changed the title to New member
3 minutes ago, D Hook said:

New member here but long time watcher of TCM.  I have a question and hope someone can help with.

As I'm sure you all know, Amazon bought the MGM movie company for $8 billion the other day and now own all of the MGM movie vault, as I understand it.  They intend to add these titles to the Amazon Prime streaming service.  Not sure what that means for TCM though.

Will we not be able to see MGM movies anymore on TCM?  Or will we have to sit through advertisements like we do on Amazon Prime now?

Thanks for any information.

It's still a pending sale, as it requires regulatory approval.  Even if the sale does go through, the ownership of the "classic" MGM films will not change.

There's a lot of misinformation regarding the "MGM vault" in the press.  Warner Bros owns the rights to MGM properties made before May 1986.

WB got them because Ted Turner bought the rights when he briefly owned MGM in 1986.  He sold the production portion of MGM/UA, but retained the film rights.  These were eventually transferred to WB when Warner bought out Turner's media empire in the 1990s.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

It's still a pending sale, as it requires regulatory approval.  Even if the sale does go through, the ownership of the "classic" MGM films will not change.

There's a lot of misinformation regarding the "MGM vault" in the press.  Warner Bros owns the rights to MGM properties made before May 1986.

WB got them because Ted Turner bought the rights when he briefly owned MGM in 1986.  He sold the production portion of MGM/UA, but retained the film rights.  These were eventually transferred to WB when Warner bought out Turner's media empire in the 1990s.

Thanks for that.  I tried to delete this topic since there's already a thread about it but I guess was unsuccessful.  Never the less, thanks for posting up that info!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings