Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Compromise Housing Bill Sent to President for OK

I bet you thought this was some awful political thread, didn't you?  Wrong!

The other day I was watching "Back to the Future" because the trilogy is going to disappear from Netflix soon.  I like to watch for all the background details in that movie, like how Hill Valley is such a dump at the beginning or how the same family's been selling vehicular transport in the town for 140 years or so.  Anyway, there wa sa newspaper and one of the headlines was "Compromise Housing Bill Sent to President for OK".

A couple of days later I watched "After Dark, My Sweet".  Terrific film noir that is on the Roger Ebert Great Movies List.  Well, in one scene the protagonist hides behind a newspaper, and I recognized that same headline!

It turns out, that is a prop newspaper that has been used in innumerable films and TV shows for decades.

https://reelrundown.com/film-industry/Same-newspaper-prop-in-different-movies

• Like 2

I guess that would be like that scene of a bomb being thrown into a business and then it exploding that was in Public Enemy and a bunch of other Warner Brothers films of the 1930s? 

9 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I guess that would be like that scene of a bomb being thrown into a business and then it exploding that was in Public Enemy and a bunch of other Warner Brothers films of the 1930s? 

There are all sorts of examples of recycled props.  I read somewhere that the fountain that Thomas and Martha Jefferson and Franklin and Adams dance around in that one scene from "1776" is also the fountain from the opening credit sequence of "Friends".

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Vidor said:

I bet you thought this was some awful political thread, didn't you?  Wrong!

The other day I was watching "Back to the Future" because the trilogy is going to disappear from Netflix soon.  I like to watch for all the background details in that movie, like how Hill Valley is such a dump at the beginning or how the same family's been selling vehicular transport in the town for 140 years or so.  Anyway, there wa sa newspaper and one of the headlines was "Compromise Housing Bill Sent to President for OK".

A couple of days later I watched "After Dark, My Sweet".  Terrific film noir that is on the Roger Ebert Great Movies List.  Well, in one scene the protagonist hides behind a newspaper, and I recognized that same headline!

It turns out, that is a prop newspaper that has been used in innumerable films and TV shows for decades.

https://reelrundown.com/film-industry/Same-newspaper-prop-in-different-movies

newspaper.png?itok=xaUF66mR

10 Props that Have Been Used in More than One Movie

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/58217/10-props-have-been-used-more-one-movie

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

How many times have I've seen this "whatever it is"?

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

"What've you found?"
"All we've found, sir, is that these red lights appear to be moving back and forth.  Aside from that, this device seems to have no function whatsoever."

- Airplane II: the Sequel (1982)

• Haha 2

Back in the 1930s, every studio seemed to have a curvy staircase that got used in a rich family's house.  I'm assuming each studio just used the same staircase over and over.

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

How many times have I've seen this "whatever it is"?

hqdefault.jpg

510e2c896b86da7d-600x338.jpg

screenshot_20191104-1ocks1.jpg

the-most-important-device-in-the.jpg

It's in "The Last Starfighter" (1984)  command center (sorry no photo)

Hmm most of that looks pretty sturdy, yet the red tube looks fragile, so a mechanical contradiction of sorts.  Lemme guess - a "sight glass" so they can monitor their propulsion systems in real time?  And how about those black and silver discs I see on the backs of those supporting members, harmonic balancers??

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

Back in the 1930s, every studio seemed to have a curvy staircase that got used in a rich family's house.  I'm assuming each studio just used the same staircase over and over.

Warner Bros. had their Auntie Mame staircase, which was used in a bunch of films...

Pin on Movies that I adore

Someone even made a Youtube video highlighting some of the uses of this set...

44 minutes ago, Vidor said:

Wouldn't that be like recasting other stars in different films?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robby_the_Robot

Excerpt..He made a number of subsequent appearances in science fiction movies and television programs, usually without specific reference to the original film character

Robby also appeared in a "Lost in Space" episode.

MV5BNzc1ODUwOGQtNzIxNi00ZmRjLTg5NjctNzBh

Lost+In+Space+-+War+Of+The+Robots+%25283

• Like 1

Robby was in an episode of "Columbo" about a murder at a research institute.  When the resident boy genius beats him at chess Robby flips the table.

15 minutes ago, Vidor said:

Robby was in an episode of "Columbo" about a murder at a research institute.  When the resident boy genius beats him at chess Robby flips the table.

Imagine the gasket Robby had blown if Columbo beaten him. 

187da0a4206f126521fd8af11d96799c.jpg

And I'll say it, The Invisible Boy (1957) is a fun film.  They once showed it to our rowdy all-night sci-fi film festival, to an audience that had largely never heard of it.  

hqdefault.jpg

The computer lights in Desk Set are reused in the Dick Van Dyke segment of What a Way to Go!