Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Susan Hayward was an outstanding actress who won an Academy Award as Best Actress for her riveting portrayal as murderess, Barbara Graham. In the 1958 drama, I Want To Live. (1958) She should have won multiple Oscars as well for other performances. Including I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955)  & Smash Up, Story of a Woman (1947). She is one of my favorite classic actresses from the Golden Age and would love to view some her memorable films during the daylong Summer marathon, Summer Under the Stars.. She outshines in just about every role she starred in. Died too soon but left a lasting impression upon the Silver Screen with her memorable acting skills. Starring opposite some of the top leading men of that era. Including, The Flying Seabees with John Wayne, My Foolish Heart with Dana Andrews, Snows of Kilimanjaro with Gregory Peck, With A Song in My Heart, Woman Obsessed with Stephen Boyd, David & Bathsheba with Gregory Peck, Demetrios & The Gladiators, with Victor Mature, the President's Lady with Charleton Heston, Untamed with Richard Egan, Ada with Dean Martin.

A14.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have always found Hayward to be somewhat hardened,  and to a degree abrasive:   I.e. I don't get the vibe that she is soft and huggable like I do many other actresses,  but that is due to the characters she plays.       She is a fine actress and when the role called for it would display the necessary amount of vulnerability.      I really like how the characters she plays treat selfish men that believe she is a dame they can walk all over or take for granted.     E.g.  In House of Strangers,    she makes it difficult for Richard Conte,   but for most of the movie Conte deserves what she is giving him!

House of Strangers (1949) - Turner Classic Movies

• Like 3
18 hours ago, reneex said:

Susan Hayward was an outstanding actress who won an Academy Award as Best Actress for her riveting portrayal as murderess, Barbara Graham. In the 1958 drama, I Want To Live. (1958) She should have won multiple Oscars as well for other performances. Including I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955)  & Smash Up, Story of a Woman (1947). She is one of my favorite classic actresses from the Golden Age and would love to view some her memorable films during the daylong Summer marathon, Summer Under the Stars.. She outshines in just about every role she starred in. Died too soon but left a lasting impression upon the Silver Screen with her memorable acting skills. Starring opposite some of the top leading men of that era. Including, The Flying Seabees with John Wayne, My Foolish Heart with Dana Andrews, Snows of Kilimanjaro with Gregory Peck, With A Song in My Heart, Woman Obsessed with Stephen Boyd, David & Bathsheba with Gregory Peck, Demetrios & The Gladiators, with Victor Mature, the President's Lady with Charleton Heston, Untamed with Richard Egan, Ada with Dean Martin.

A14.jpg

I know you mentioned these pictures, but Hayward also received Oscar nominations for playing Eloise Winters in 1949's My Foolish Heart and portraying Jane Froman in 1952's With a Song in My Heart.

• Like 2

If she was chosen would probably be a disappointing day as many of her films were done at Paramount and Fox and I doubt TCM would want to spend the extra money to air them. We'd probably get a lot of films they show a lot of:  I'll Cry Tomorrow: I Want to LIve! etc. Not that there's anything wrong with them.

• Like 2

I say again The Conqueror is underrated.

the movie has heart and Duke ripping a dress right off of one of Hollywood's most beautiful stars.

someone said susan hayward was not huggable and a bit abrasive.

she was strong, cold but often times exuded a powerful femininity

• Like 2
On 6/3/2021 at 1:35 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I have always found Hayward to be somewhat hardened,  and to a degree abrasive:   I.e. I don't get the vibe that she is soft and huggable like I do many other actresses,  but that is due to the characters she plays.       She is a fine actress and when the role called for it would display the necessary amount of vulnerability.      I really like how the characters she plays treat selfish men that believe she is a dame they can walk all over or take for granted.     E.g.  In House of Strangers,    she makes it difficult for Richard Conte,   but for most of the movie Conte deserves what she is giving him!

House of Strangers (1949) - Turner Classic Movies

I think the impression of her being hardened comes from the fact that she was always "acting". She could modulate, to give her credit, but there was always the feeling that it had all been worked out in her mind down to the last detail. I always get the same impression from Joan Crawford and Lana Turner. They obviously did their homework, but we don't watch movies just to grade someone's homework. Having seemingly dismissed them, I'll now say they're three of my favorite classic film actresses to watch. I watch them because their intense self-awareness demands that they always be in the moment, so you can see them work their way through their emotions in real time and watch them drag a damn scene across the finish line. You get to share the thrill of victory when they pull it off.  But there are generally no particular grace notes to the performances, which is what creates an impression of hardness. Actually, I'd rather say "remoteness". Their fierce determination to be fully "on" at all costs actually drains the moment of its "reality". I'm being clinical, but I actually do have a lot of affection for Susan. I think Nip's right about a powerful femininity, like in Tulsa, where she was flirty but tough and got tougher as she outflanked the men in the oil business.  Her can-do spirit often made her performance more memorable than the film itself, like White Witch Doctor.  She was what studios loved, a star who could carry a movie.

• Like 4

Susan Hayward was a fine actress but also, for me, a difficult person to ever warm towards. That's because of the hardness of the characters she played, particularly during her heyday, the '50s. And that hardness, I have always felt, was a reflection of the ambitious actress herself.

I read an anecdote once of the time that she was filming The Garden of Evil on location in Mexico in 1953 or 54. At one point some of the cast members were sharing a drink at a small local bar in some rural spot where they were filming. Hayward then entered the place by herself, went to the bar where she consumed a drink then left the place. The point is that, even though this was a well known actress, not to mention an attractive woman, not a single male in the bar approached her. Everyone was leery of her (including fellow cast members) because of her tough independence (which you can say, in turn, helped her survive as long as she did in the film business).

One of her Garden of Evil co-stars, Cameron Mitchell, was enamoured with her and made the mistake of coming onto Hayward during production and got his face scratched up for the effort. It does sound, admittedly, like perhaps Mitchell got a little too physical in his attempted come on. Ironically his character in the film did the same thing with her character with the same end result. I wonder if one incident inspired the other.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I once googled the phrase "fiery wench", and lo and behold, a picture of Susan Hayward popped up on my computer screen!

(...naah, not really of course, but I've never seen any actress play that type of role any better)

22 hours ago, TomJH said:

Hayward then entered the place by herself, went to the bar where she consumed a drink then left the place. The point is that, even though this was a well known actress, not to mention an attractive woman, not a single male in the bar approached her. 

Apropros that I was named for her, that scenario could have been written about myself. 

34 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Apropros that I was named for her, that scenario could have been written about myself. 

Scratched up any guys' faces lately, TikiSoo?

6 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Scratched up any guys' faces lately, TikiSoo?

Ouch. I had meant I was like Hayward in that men are "afraid" of me.

While I'd never put up with unwanted advances/abuse, I also have very low tolerance with BS- and we all know BS is the typical young man's tool for attracting a woman's interest. 

41 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

While I'd never put up with unwanted advances/abuse, I also have very low tolerance with BS- and we all know BS is the typical young man's tool for attracting a woman's interest. 

I hope you realize I was just joking with my scratching comment, TikiSoo. I didn't really mean it.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

So the men in the bar must have been BS.