Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Top Ten Roddy McDowall Favorites

Here are mine in chronological order, what are yours?

1. How Green Was My Valley (1941) great film of Welsh coal miners. Roddy gives one of the greatest child performances as the sensitive lad. My favorite scene is his harrowing first day of school.

2. Lassie Come Home (1943) the best of the Lassie movies, he has many touching moments as he has to face life without his beloved collie.

3. Midnight Lace (1960) a very good thriller about a stalker terrorizing Doris Day. Roddy is now grown up and takes on a creepy suspect role.

4. That Darn Cat (1965) a great Disney comedy, Roddy plays a rich jerk who is dating Dorothy Provine and he wants to blast the title cat with a shotgun.

5. Planet Of The Apes (1968) Roddy gets one of his greatest roles as the intellectual chimp who is fascinated by talking human Charlton Heston.

6. Escape From The Planet Of The Apes (1971) the best of the Apes sequels, his ape character goes back in time with wife Kim Hunter and discovers life in the 1970s.

7. The Poseidon Adventure (1972) the greatest of all disaster films, he has a small role as a Scottish busboy, but has a great death scene.

8. The Legend Of Hell House (1973)  very scary horror story, he gives a fine performance as the physical medium dealing with a very angry ghost.

9. Class Of 1984 (1982) a tough exploitation film about punk rock kids causing mayhem in a high school. Roddy has the best scene in the movie as a teacher, fed up with his nasty students, pulls a gun and tells them now they are going to learn, or else...

10, Dead Of Winter (1987) An underrated thriller with Mary Steenburgen as an actress held hostage in a creepy mansion. Roddy has one his most menacing villain roles as one of the kidnappers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

1. How Green Was My Valley (1941) great film of Welsh coal miners. Roddy gives one of the greatest child performances as the sensitive lad. My favorite scene is his harrowing first day of school.

2. Lassie Come Home (1943) the best of the Lassie movies, he has many touching moments as he has to face life without his beloved collie.

3. Midnight Lace (1960) a very good thriller about a stalker terrorizing Doris Day. Roddy is now grown up and takes on a creepy suspect role.

4. That Darn Cat (1965) a great Disney comedy, Roddy plays a rich jerk who is dating Dorothy Provine and he wants to blast the title cat with a shotgun.

5. Planet Of The Apes (1968) Roddy gets one of his greatest roles as the intellectual chimp who is fascinated by talking human Charlton Heston.

6. Escape From The Planet Of The Apes (1971) the best of the Apes sequels, his ape character goes back in time with wife Kim Hunter and discovers life in the 1970s.

7. The Poseidon Adventure (1972) the greatest of all disaster films, he has a small role as a Scottish busboy, but has a great death scene.

8. The Legend Of Hell House (1973)  very scary horror story, he gives a fine performance as the physical medium dealing with a very angry ghost.

9. Class Of 1984 (1982) a tough exploitation film about punk rock kids causing mayhem in a high school. Roddy has the best scene in the movie as a teacher, fed up with his nasty students, pulls a gun and tells them now they are going to learn, or else...

10, Dead Of Winter (1987) An underrated thriller with Mary Steenburgen as an actress held hostage in a creepy mansion. Roddy has one his most menacing villain roles as one of the kidnappers.

Happy to Report that the Always Reliable, if Not Occassionally Eccentric Clive Selsby Revill is Still With Us Today, at the Imppresive Age of Ninety-One. 🎨

PS.

Ive Always Been (LopSidedly) Partial to theGreatest Story Ever Told,. Along with (the) Keys of the Kingdom myself..

Just now, Det Jim McLeod said:

That's one I never saw, would like to.

It's enjoyable...good production values (and Technicolor) from 20th Century Fox. There was a sequel, THUNDERHEAD: SON OF FLICKA (1945) with Roddy and most of the same cast from the original.

• Thanks 1

I've always had fond memories of Disney's ADVENTURES OF BULLWHIP GRIFFIN (1967), which I first saw when it was new.   As the title suggests, it's a humorous adventure story about an orphaned young woman and her younger brother who leave their Boston home and head to California during the 1848 Gold Rush, accompanied by their butler, played by Roddy McDowall.

Roddy's co-stars here were Suzanne Pleshette, Karl Malden, and Richard Haydn, and they were supported by some very good character actors -- John Qualen, Parley Baer, Hermione Baddeley, Cecil Kellaway, Dub Taylor, and Mike Mazurki.  (The book on which the movie was based, By The Great Horn Spoon!,  was re-issued at the time with the movie's title, and I enjoyed it, too.)  I saw the movie again a few years ago, and it was still pretty  entertaining.  I think my loving this movie as a youngster is why I enjoyed Roddy Mcdowell's performances so much later on, when I saw him in much more well-known movies.

The_Adventures_of_Bullwhip_Griffin.jpg.468bea92a2867370b13abd672c034841.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Great to see Class of 1984 get some attention!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Darn, between that and Bullwhip Griffin, I had to go back to IMDb...I know there was something:

(surftypescroll)

...Aha, I knew it:  Peter Vincent, VAMPIRE KILLER (and washed-up horror actor/TV host)!

frightnight.jpg

(Fright Night (1985), for those who didn't grow up in the Greatest Generation.)

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Roddy was great , but I hated that movie!

Okay, that's a gauntlet thrown down:
...WHAT's there to hate about 80's Tom Holland?  😠  The Child's Play director and Psycho II screenwriter, not the Spiderman guy.

(And leave Whoopi Goldberg in "Fatal Beauty" out of it.)

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Okay, that's a gauntlet thrown down:
...WHAT's there to hate about 80's Tom Holland?  😠  The Child's Play director and Psycho II screenwriter, not the Spiderman guy.

(And leave Whoopi Goldberg in "Fatal Beauty" out of it.)

I thought Child's Play and Psycho II were pretty good. But Fright Night seemed to be an 1980s teen sex comedy with a vampire thrown in. I didn't like how they started making new rules around the vampire legend. And what kind of character was that henchman to the vampire supposed to be. He seems human at first then turns into some supernatural thing with no explanation. I haven't seen it seen it was first released but maybe if I check it out again...

And I must add, Fatal Beauty is one of the worst movies ever made!