Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your favorite "final film"?


skimpole
 Share

Recommended Posts

F.W. Murnau's "Tabu" is pretty good.  Of course it was only his final film because he was killed in a car wreck.

 

Alfred Hitchcock's "Family Plot" is fun.  His next-to-last film "Frenzy" is great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Billy Wilder:  Buddy, Buddy (1981)

Sidney Lumet:  Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

Howard Hawks:  Rio Lobo (1970)

Cecil B. DeMille:  The Ten Commandments (1956)

Michael Curtiz:  The Commancheros (1961)

Elia Kazan:  The Last Tycoon (1976)

George Stevens:  The Only Game in Town (1970)

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently Quentin Tarantino was quoted very recently as saying that "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" would be his last film...he's probably BSing but if he isn't, that's a really good movie.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Vidor said:

Apparently Quentin Tarantino was quoted very recently as saying that "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" would be his last film...he's probably BSing but if he isn't, that's a really good movie.

Not sure the quote you saw but Tarantino's claim is to stop after his 10th movie.  But he considers Kill Bill to be one movie so Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is actually his 9th by his accounting so there should be one more.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/quentin-tarantino-says-his-10th-final-film-will-be-epilogue-y-1230249/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd go with Hitchcock's FAMILY PLOT (1976). 

If we were to answer with our favorite penultimate film, I'd say Hitchcock's FRENZY (1972).

And I'm a big fan of TOPAZ (1969).

I like his later stuff a lot. I think some of Hitchcock's earlier films are overrated and his later films are vastly underrated.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tony Lockwood said:

Charlie Chaplin: Limelight (1952)

In an ideal universe, that would have been a fittingly elegaic way to end his career.  Unfortunately, his final film as a director turned out to be the ill-fated A Countess From Hong Kong (1966).  😞

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tony Lockwood said:

Not sure the quote you saw but Tarantino's claim is to stop after his 10th movie.  But he considers Kill Bill to be one movie so Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is actually his 9th by his accounting so there should be one more.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/quentin-tarantino-says-his-10th-final-film-will-be-epilogue-y-1230249/

 

https://www.avclub.com/quentin-tarantino-is-strongly-thinking-about-ending-his-1847033734

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank  Capra  Pocketful  of  Miracles  1961      David  Lean   Passage  To  India  1984    Anthony  Mann   A  Dandy  In  Aspic  1968    Robert  Wise  Rooftops  1989                                                Henry   Hathaway  Hangup  1974    Henry  King   Tender Is  The  Night  1962         

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, cinemaman said:

Frank  Capra  Pocketful  of  Miracles  1961      David  Lean   Passage  To  India  1984    Anthony  Mann   A  Dandy  In  Aspic  1968    Robert  Wise  Rooftops  1989                                                Henry   Hathaway  Hangup  1974    Henry  King   Tender Is  The  Night  1962         

David Lean went out on a high note with A Passage to India.  I had forgotten that was his last picture.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Darn!  I thought of actor's final films and immediately thought of BEING THERE (1979) the only film of PETER SELLERS' that I love. 

Yeah, not a bad film, but while Stellers pretty much plays the Chauncey Gardner dolt of a character in a one note fashion, he's absolutely brilliant in all three different roles in that one satire about nuclear holocaust, wouldn't ya say Allhallows?

(...in other words, how can you NOT love Dr. Strangelove TOO, dude???)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2021 at 1:50 PM, TopBilled said:

I'd go with Hitchcock's FAMILY PLOT (1976). 

You had to beat me to it.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:24 AM, Vidor said:

"Eyes Wide Shut" isn't a bad movie, but it's lesser Kubrick.

Eyes Wide Shut is a bad movie AND lesser Kubrick.

And I would have been fine with Rhapsody in August being Kurosawa's last one (it's not much, but occasionally haunting moments he threw in), but Madadayo is maddeningly self-indulgent, where it feels like Kurosawa is throwing his own retirement party and filming every bit of it--"A Life in Six Retirement Dinners".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I don't think of it as a PETER SELLERS film.  I think of it as a STANLEY KUBRICK film.  Same with LOLITA, which includes favorite JAMES MASONKUBRICK film. 

Interesting, even with Being There being directed by Hal Ashby and not Sellers?

What's the difference? Well, OTHER than Kubrick being considered one of the "great auteur" directors and Ashby not.

Still though and my earlier point being that in Dr.Strangelove, Sellers ability to so believeably"stretch" into those these distinctly different roles in that film seems a far greater feat than what I've always felt was a "one-note" performance as the dolt in Being There.

(...and in fact, the only thing I've ever admired about his performance in the Ashby film was his ability to not crack himself up in his scenes by playing such a dolt, and which as I recall during its closing credits, shows the outtakes from the film in which he actually does)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Dargo said:

shows the outtakes from the film in which he actually does

That's correct, and PETER SELLERS reportedly hated that inclusion himself. 

 

26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Still though and my earlier point being that in Dr.Strangelove, Sellers ability to so believeably"stretch" into those these distinctly different roles in that film seems a far greater feat than what I've always felt was a "one-note" performance as the dolt in Being There.

I see your point, particularly the title character.  However, there are other remarkable performances.  SELLERS is also remarkable as Claire Quilty, but KUBRICK films after SPARTACUS are quite detached and then maybe uniquely his own vision despite performances.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...