Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Andromeda Strain"

HollywoodGolightly

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> One of the things I liked about the movie is that by choosing relatively unknown actors, it heightened the sense that this could be a somewhat realistic scenario (at least more realistic than if it had starred well known actors).

Good point. The producers could have cast Raquel Welch in the part played by Kate Reid, and made the film ridiculous (not that I would have minded seeing Raquel).

You know, I actually fell in love with Kate Reid, watching this movie. She reminds me of a slightly cranky aunt that you love to pieces but sometimes drives you nuts with her eccentricities. Or that you have to keep away from red flashing lights. ;)

I really recommend this movie very highly to anyone who enjoys sophisticated sci-fi, I can't believe I'd been meaning to watch it since college and I only got around to it last weekend.

I'd love to read the original Crichton novel at some point. I believe it was the first he wrote under his real name - everything he'd done before had been with a pseudonym because he was still in med school and he didn't want people to look down on him (at least that is the explanation he gave in a brief featurette that's included in the Andromeda DVD from Universal Home Video)

OMG! The latest TV miniseries was TERRIBLE! It was just too long. The main thing that ruined it was Benjamin Bratt as Dr. Jeremy Stone. He's normally a very solid actor, but he played Stone as a lifeless, emotionless automaton. Like so many remakes, you just can't recapture the thrill of the original.

• 3 weeks later...

i could care less what IMDB says about the movie. It's quite simply one of the most powerful SF movies of all time, right up there with "Metropolis," "Forbidden Planet," "2001", "Alien" and "Blade Runner." A whole lot could be said about just how signally influential SF movies were affected by it.

and oh yeah, the miniseries stank horribly.

BUT there was one image that stood out .. the scene of the female fighter pilot as her plane disintegrated. Most haunting. 561's transmission in the movie was no where near as gripping as that one.

• 2 weeks later...