Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite films that take place in the summer

Much of All the President's Men takes place in the summer, since the Watergate break-in was in June.  Chinatown also takes place in the summer (that's when oranges usually grow right?)

8 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

The Seven Year Itch was a summertime viewing tradition for me for many years. 

Summer in urban-obsessed 50's NYC, with less greenery/fountains, and when there was a REASON you sent your wife and kids upstate every August.

(Okay, two reasons. 😉 )

• Haha 1
On 6/8/2021 at 1:58 AM, LuckyDan said:

The Seven Year Itch was a summertime viewing tradition for me for many years. 

image31.jpg

The most memorable part I recall from this film is MM constantly trying to cool off her vagina.  I find if very odd.

• Haha 1

My favorites where summer vacation is a key part of the film:

Stand By Me (1987)

Summer of 42 (1971)

All of the AIP Beach Party films

Summer-of-42.jpg

• Like 1

My wife and I keep lists of the many entertaining movies that take place during the summer or over the July 4th holiday.   (We use these and other seasonal lists, e.g., Christmas, to suggest movies to watch when we don't have something more general in mind.)

Our July 4th and summer  lists (omitting movies that have already been mentioned):

• Ah, Wilderness! (July 4th)
  • Houseboat (July 4th)
  • Judge Hardy and Son (July 4th)
  • Summer Holiday (July 4th)
  • The Music Man (July 4th)
  • Two Weeks with Love (July 4th)
  • A Canterbury Tale
  • A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
  • Andy Hardy's Double Life
  • George Washington Slept Here
  • Gold Diggers of 1935
  • Having Wonderful Time
  • It Happened To Jane
  • Key Largo
  • Manhattan
  • Laura
  • Listen Darling
  • Paper Moon
  • State Fair
  • Talk of the Town
  • The Courtship of Andy Hardy
  • The Devil and Miss Jones
  • The More The Merrier
  • The Odd Couple
  • The Reivers
  • The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming
  • Like 2

Don't think I've seen the one mentioned yet that takes place over a Saturday night at the end of the summer of 1962 in Modesto, California...

American%2BGraffiti%2BPoster-04.jpg&ehk=

(...I can't believe that the first time I watched this one when it was released in '73, I felt it pertained a little more to people a half-generation before me, but now there's been almost three generations that have come after that time...tempus fugit, eh?!)

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Vidor said:

"Do the Right Thing" is set during a summer heat wave, and the heat is important to the story.

The sweltering summer heat is certainly a strong motif in "Do the Right Thing" and it adds to the tension in the story.  The characters can't beat the heat and are trying almost anything to cool down but the heat is still there - in the same way, their problems and social tensions are still there.  Great film.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Don't think I've seen the one mentioned yet that takes place over a Saturday night at the end of the summer of 1962 in Modesto, California...

American%2BGraffiti%2BPoster-04.jpg&ehk=

(...I can't believe that the first time I watched this one when it was released in '73, I felt it pertained a little more to people a half-generation before me, but now there's been almost three generations that have come after that time...tempus fugit, eh?!)

Still say this is Lucas' best film.

I think this is a different category though- instead of a summer film it's a last day of school film.  Other films that fit this theme would be Dazed and Confused (1993), Can't Hardly Wait (1998),  Superbad (2007), Book Smart (2019)

1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

Still say this is Lucas' best film.

I think this is a different category though- instead of a summer film it's a last day of school film.  Other films that fit this theme would be Dazed and Confused (1993), Can't Hardly Wait (1998),  Superbad (2007), Book Smart (2019)

I like American Graffiti.  It actually takes place at the beginning of the high school year, not the end of school.  The night before Richard Dreyfus and Ronny Howard are supposed to leave t o begin college.

2 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I like American Graffiti.  It actually takes place at the beginning of the high school year, not the end of school.  The night before Richard Dreyfus and Ronny Howard are supposed to leave t o begin college.

Touche- i forgot that it is on the eve of the school year.

• 2 weeks later...