Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SOTM

UMO1982

4 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

So many silent stars have never been SOTM: John Gilbert, William Haines, Richard Barthelmess, Marion Davies, Lillian Gish, etc..... on the talkie end, not even Barbra Streisand or Glenda Jackson?

I don't think Jane Fonda has been either. No "recent" stars (still living). I don't think they are interested in Silent Stars being SOTM..

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I don't think Jane Fonda has been either. No "recent" stars (still living). I don't think they are interested in Silent Stars being SOTM..

Good point. But with their careers mostly behind them, I would think they'd jump on Fonda, Streisand, Jackson, etc..... Fonda goes back to 1960 in films!

I know the silent stars are hard because so many of their films are not available or do not have music tracks. BUT in November 2014 they did a general SILENT STARS ON THE MONTH and chose films from a wide variety of silent icons. They could easily do that again.

13 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

One could also argue that some other 60s/70s stars could apply because their careers are mostly complete: Julie Andrews, Julie Christie, Goldie Hawn, Maggie Smith, Dustin Hoffman, Warren Beatty, Al Pacino, etc....

Maybe its too expensive for the film rights? In the case of J.A. they wouldn't get Mary Poppins or SOM.......

49 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

Good point. But with their careers mostly behind them, I would think they'd jump on Fonda, Streisand, Jackson, etc..... Fonda goes back to 1960 in films!

I know the silent stars are hard because so many of their films are not available or do not have music tracks. BUT in November 2014 they did a general SILENT STARS ON THE MONTH and chose films from a wide variety of silent icons. They could easily do that again.

You rarely see silents on TCM except for the Sun. night slot. I think they don't think most viewers would watch in prime time unless its Chaplin/Keaton.......

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Maybe its too expensive for the film rights? In the case of J.A. they wouldn't get Mary Poppins or SOM.......

I thought about that and Andrews even before I posted, but they would still have enough to do 3 or 4 films a night. It might just be the film's costs. When Hackman was SOTM I think the last one chronologically was the all but unseen 1991 late-cold war action comedy Company Business.... hardly the equal of 90s Hackman titles like  Postcards from the Edge, Unforgiven, The Firm, get Shorty, or The Birdcage (or for that matter, Twilight, with its cast of seasoned veterans). I think the costs would be particularly high for the Pacino titles, and again you would be without The Godfather trilogy.

Re silent stars, Harold Lloyd was once SOTM about 10 years back, but they had it on Sunday nights so they could also tie it into Silent Sunday when Midnight struck.

• Like 1

Yes, that's right. Those 3 comedians they would salute.....

I would think of the above mentioned stars, Fonda would probably have the most films TCM would have access to, particularly since her career started in the early 60s. They have shown quite a few of her films, though more from the early part of her career.

Well with many of the silent stars, they had fairly substantial success in talkies.... certainly Gilbert, Haines, Barthelmess, Davies, Gish..... There's nothing saying they couldn't do a mix of silents and talkies.

12 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Well with many of the silent stars, they had fairly substantial success in talkies.... certainly Gilbert, Haines, Barthelmess, Davies, Gish..... There's nothing saying they couldn't do a mix of silents and talkies.

I don't understand why they continue to ignore Gish and Davies. Both of whom had long careers in sound films. Plus they have easy access to their films! It's not like they aren't well known.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings