Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This Program Contains Outdated Cultural Depictions

Janet0312

Ach!   What in the world makes them think we the people would think any cultural depictions in any old, long discontinued TV westerns with story lines  that take place roughly a century before those shows were created and produced aren't outdated?  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Ach!   What in the world makes them think we the people would think any cultural depictions in any old, long discontinued TV westerns with story lines  that take place roughly a century before those shows were created and produced aren't outdated?  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

It's all so idiotic. Bonanza and Gunsmoke were "outdated" when they were produced, they were depictions of events some 100 years earlier. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

Have you seen this yet? TVLand displays it before Bonanza and Gunsmoke episodes. 

Yes, I commented on this on another thread a few months ago.  As I recall, it appears on the StarzEncoreWestern channel (or whatever they call it now).  I recall it posted for "old" westerns with stories about Native Americans.

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

Yes, I commented on this on another thread a few months ago.  As I recall, it appears on the StarzEncoreWestern channel (or whatever they call it now).  I recall it posted for "old" westerns with stories about Native Americans.

Actually you could use the OCD notice for any program/movie/commercial/ad made 5 years ago.  Not to mention books and magazines.  Where will it all end?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

Actually you could use the OCD notice for any program/movie/commercial/ad made 5 years ago.  Not to mention books and magazines.  Where will it all end?

Ya know, THIS right HERE is the problem with using acronyms when talkin' about stuff anymore!

When I saw "OCD" here, I immediately started wondering what the idea of an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder has anything to do with any of this.

(...uh-huh, ya see, I'm STILL in a place that whenever I see the acronym "BLM" anywhere, my mind FIRST thinks of the Bureau of Land Management!!!)

;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

It's all so idiotic. Bonanza and Gunsmoke were "outdated" when they were produced, they were depictions of events some 100 years earlier. 

The exact wording in the OP is TVLand displays it before Bonanza and Gunsmoke episodes.

3 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Good point,  but one can also look at these programs as being too progressive for the actual times they were covering  (some 100 years ago).

E.g.  most of the 50s westerns feature multiple episodes where  there is a group of common-for-the-times non-progressive folks (e.g.  racists, only-good-Indian-is-a-dead-one etc....) and in everyone of these episodes those group of people get put in their place,   with most becoming enlighten in the last scene.       I.e. the characters in these episodes that use a lot of "outdated-cultural-depictions"   (but representiave of  the times),      clearly are made to look like the fools.        So to me the bottom line of the ideals (love your fellow man,  we are all born equal,   we have common values related to family etc...),  prevail.      

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

One thing people aren't mentioning is that some episodes of Bonanza were not broadcast on Pat Robertson's CBN (Christian Broadcasting Network) in the 80s and 90s, because the content was not in alignment with Christian teachings.

'The Strange One' was pulled. Here's the synopsis:

While hunting cougar, Joe and Hoss find a young woman unconscious and bring her to the Ponderosa. The girl was abandoned in the wilderness by the wagon train she was traveling with because she is clairvoyant and sees bad events before they happen, and they thus think she is a witch.

No disclaimers, pulled. Tales about clairvoyants and witches were a no-no. CBN also pulled an episode from The Waltons. It would not broadcast 'The Changeling' because it was a story about a poltergeist. Another Christian no-no.

Here's the synopsis:

Strange happenings coincide with the coming of Elizabeth's 13th birthday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Good point,  but one can also look at these programs as being too progressive for the actual times they were covering  (some 100 years ago).

E.g.  most of the 50s westerns feature multiple episodes where  there is a group of common-for-the-times non-progressive folks (e.g.  racists, only-good-Indian-is-a-dead-one etc....) and in everyone of these episodes those group of people get put in their place,   with most becoming enlighten in the last scene.       I.e. the characters in these episodes that use a lot of "outdated-cultural-depictions"   (but representiave of  the times),      clearly are made to look like the fools.        So to me the bottom line of the ideals (love your fellow man,  we are all born equal,   we have common values related to family etc...),  prevail.      

So the surgeon general style warning is unintentionally accurate. Nice catch!

Come over to the INSP. They don't have those warnings before the old westerns. Matt Dillon was a pretty

enlightened guy as far as Indians and blacks were concerned. A bit of a sexist when it came to women, but

overall pretty progressive. I never figured out why he hired Chester to work for him. Most of the time Chester

was pretty useless, and that had nothing to do with his limp. He was just lazy.

3 hours ago, Vidor said:

Oh goodie, another thread about a completely different channel that isn't even relevant to this forum at all.

Actually, as I pointed out, it is not about just one channel, but portends a trend that could lead to "warnings" on multiple channels/networks, even TCM.  Most of the movies that TCM shows could well be saddled with an OCD warning just because of the times in which they were made.

I think the point is do we really need warnings of this type before movies?   Should the Outdated Cultural Depictions be explained before each showing?

47 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I think the point is do we really need warnings of this type before movies?   

The point is that there is no such concept as "we" in this context.     The OCDs are meant for a certain group of people.      I don't need them and  it appears you don't but obviously certain content providers believe certain people do.       These content providers are just tying to provide what they believe is a service with the OCDs and hope that those that don't view it as a service (like us),   will not be turned off enough to seek content elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I think the point is do we really need warnings of this type before movies?   Should the Outdated Cultural Depictions be explained before each showing?

Do WE need it? No.

It's for the folks who need warning labels to NOT use the hair dryer while sleeping, or to NOT use the vanishing ink fabric pen to sign checks or legal documents.

Film has had blanket disclaimers for decades  . . . . "The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this production are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred." Lots of TV shows run something similar. 

3 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Do WE need it? No.

It's for the folks who need warning labels to NOT use the hair dryer while sleeping, or to NOT use the vanishing ink fabric pen to sign checks or legal documents.

Film has had blanket disclaimers for decades  . . . . "The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this production are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred." Lots of TV shows run something similar. 

I need to be told to wash,  rinse and repeat!        For me it all comes down to how intrusive the messaging is.        E.g.  if there is a 5 second OCD message at the start of a film or T.V. show I'm not going to get annoyed,  since it gives me a few more seconds to make a sandwich.      

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2021 at 3:26 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

The point is that there is no such concept as "we" in this context.     The OCDs are meant for a certain group of people.      I don't need them and  it appears you don't but obviously certain content providers believe certain people do.       These content providers are just tying to provide what they believe is a service with the OCDs and hope that those that don't view it as a service (like us),   will not be turned off enough to seek content elsewhere.

I think they're past the point of caring. They've bowed to political pressure. And it's tied to the ad revenues. The advertisers don't want to be boycotted, so they are on board with this warning.

Everyone's afraid of controversy and being run out of business. So the best way to handle it is to use disclaimers.  

• Like 4

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings