Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This Program Contains Outdated Cultural Depictions

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ah, but then again and on the OTHER hand here Cid, you DO know that one of the primary reasons for this "border crisis", is what the United States has DONE with those aforementioned states since they were "stolen" for Mexico and the subsequent economic booms which took place within each of them over the years, and in stark contrast to the economy of Mexico, don't ya?!

NOT that the notion of "money is the end-all and be-all of everything in the world" you understand, BUT  I seriously doubt the standard of living in those states would be nearly to the level that it presently is IF Mexico had retained them.

In other words, why do you think so many good hard working people from south of the border attempt flee their own country and enter our country?

And nope, I'm not bein' some jingoistic flag-waver here. Just lookin' at the facts here, that's all.

(...and btw and regarding Mr.Sixes' posting of the "Forget the Alamo" link...this was nothing new to me and have known of this take on Texas history for years now, and from the very first have thought it a very plausible and fair-minded view of what really was most likely the underlying cause for those Texas boys down there seeking their independence from Mexico...uh-huh, the idea that those boys down there wanted their "freedom" and so they could enslaved others to do their work for them, and as it was done in the then soon to come southern Confederacy)

As a Texan, a few facts you  might already know -

Sam Houston implored his fellow Texans not to secede. He was an outcast until the south lost the Civil War. Suddenly Houston became very smart. 

When Texas became independent in 1836 it was their intention to join the union.

At the time of secession, 30% of Texans were slaves and 50% of Texas revenue came from the growing of cotton, a very labor intensive pursuit. 

The hostilities  between Mexico and Texas were kicked off when Santa Anna "came for their guns". The Beto O'Rourke of his day except less clueless.  Santa Anna and Beto - probably the only two people who could come across as less authentic than Ted Cruz.

The settlers who came to Texas sang a song with a refrain that had the phrase "Green Grow the Lilacs". Many say that is where the term "gringo" came from, but I've heard other theories.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

...The settlers who came to Texas sang a song with a refrain that had the phrase "Green Grow the Lilacs". Many say that is where the term "gringo" came from, but I've heard other theories.

And which NOW reminds me of another song that my WWII veteran father who was originially from Indianapolis used to occasionally sing whenever the topic of Texas would come up during my youth.

It was a little ditty he said he used to march to while being stationed in Fort Bliss, TX during the Spring of 1942 for his basic training in anti-aircraft gunnery. It's to the tune of "Mademoiselle from Armentieres" and it went like this:

Texas is a hell of a state, parlay-voo

Texas is a hell of a state, parlay-voo

Texas is a hell of a state, the armpit of the 48

Hinky-Dinky, parlay-voo

(...of course "the armpit" wasn't really the body part he said they'd march to, but I felt I better clean it up a bit for posting this here) ;)

LOL

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

At the time of secession, 30% of Texans were slaves and 50% of Texas revenue came from the growing of cotton, a very labor intensive pursuit. 

I'm assuming that's from the US not from Mexico, possibly irrelevant though since the numbers were similar. Point being that 50% was what interested Santa Ana. The Alamo was on the tail end of Santa Ana's tossing out the constitution and leaning on any deep pockets in Mexico, including the Catholic Church. There were PO'd folks all over Mexico and they were fighting mad. 

If Santa Ana was such an ardent abolitionist, why didn't he try to end slave trade among the Comanches, Apaches, etc, etc. 

That "article" is revisionist claptrap to stir up some book sales.

1 minute ago, Moe Howard said:

I'm assuming that's from the US not from Mexico, possibly irrelevant though since the numbers were similar. Point being that 50% was what interested Santa Ana. The Alamo was on the tail end of Santa Ana's tossing out the constitution and leaning on any deep pockets in Mexico, including the Catholic Church. There were PO'd folks all over Mexico and they were fighting mad. 

If Santa Ana was such an ardent abolitionist, why didn't he try to end slave trade among the Comanches, Apaches, etc, etc. 

That "article" is revisionist claptrap to stir up some book sales.

When I say the time of secession, I mean secession from the USA - 1861. Santa Anna was long gone by that time.  Santa Anna was an awful guy. I remember stories about him holding fake wedding ceremonies with girls he wanted to sleep with by having a friend of his dress up as a priest. I had never heard of him having any interest in abolishing slavery. 

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

BUT  I seriously doubt the standard of living in those states would be nearly to the level that it presently is IF Mexico had retained them.

Cue the Obama "you didn't build that" sound bite.

C'mon Dargo! That stuff would have just sprouted out of the unicorn poo. 

Imagine if you can no United States. It's Mexico to the Canadian border. DO you think they wouldn't be trying to get into Canada?

5 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Imagine if you can no United States. It's Mexico to the Canadian border. DO you think they wouldn't be trying to get into Canada?

Nope, I don't.

And 'cause it's too damn COLD up that way, DUDE!!!

Ever wonder why there's STILL no good Mexican food to be found north of the 49th Parallel???

(...THAT'S why!!!)

LOL

• Haha 1
Just now, LsDoorMat said:

When I say the time of secession, I mean secession from the USA - 1861. Santa Anna was long gone by that time.  Santa Anna was an awful guy. I remember stories about him holding fake wedding ceremonies with girls he wanted to sleep with by having a friend of his dress up as a priest. I had never heard of him having any interest in abolishing slavery. 

WHAT!?!? You mean he wasn't the bust out humanitarian the book claims?

But I suppose if you go through all the trouble of burying your leg with full military honors only to have it dug up by the local hoi polloi and fed to their dogs, you might get cranky. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Actually I think they would try to get into Canada. And then we could listen to Bogie whine about illegal immigration for a change rather than lecture Americans about it from the safety of Canada. I'd rather look forward to that. 

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Actually I think they would try to get into Canada. And then we could listen to Bogie whine about illegal immigration for a change rather than lecture Americans about it from the safety of Canada. I'd rather look forward to that. 

Of course they would. It has nothing to do with WHERE the border is, it's what's on the other side of it. And as long as it's better on the other side, -and it always will be- there'll be a "crisis" on the southern side of it.

Btw here Moe, and regarding your first two sentences in this earlier reply of yours to me...

49 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

First, perhaps my earlier comments regarding this issue might have "mirrored" those of No.44, but tell me here. What would be factually or historically inaccuate about them?

You make it sound as if you think people attempting to get into the U.S. are doing it for no other reason than to just do it, and that the idea of bettering their existence plays no part in their decision. What, you think his successor's description of these people was more accurate, perhaps?

(...and secondly, I hope you know that unicorns haven't existed since they were having too much fun playing their little unicorn games and thus missed being aboard Noah's large floating vessel...well, according to the Irish Rovers anyway, and which is probably "revisionist" as well) ;)

Since there has never been another blacklist like that of the one in Hollywood in the 1940s and 1950s

there can be no evidence that people were only against that blacklist because it targeted commies

and other lefties and would be okay if blacklists targeted others. Cancel culture is not necessarily

related to political correctness since conservatives have their own cancel culture and do not agree

with political correctness. 

25 minutes ago, Dargo said:

You make it sound as if you think people attempting to get into the U.S. are doing it for no other reason than to just do it, and that the idea of bettering their existence plays no part in their decision. What, you think his successor's description of these people was more accurate, perhaps?

Where you got that is really weird.

Let's see if I'm able to guide you through this....

You said in response to "reparations to Mexico"..

....and the subsequent economic booms which took place within each of them over the years, and in stark contrast to the economy of Mexico,

BUT  I seriously doubt the standard of living in those states would be nearly to the level that it presently is IF Mexico had retained them.

You are quite right about that. I'm simply expanding on your point.  That it doesn't matter where the border is, "Mexico" would still be Mexico and the other side would be better. Why it's better does indeed depend on what it is one desires, but face facts, it's money whether earned, stolen, or given.  After all, they aren't going south are they?

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Dargo said:

It was a little ditty he said he used to march to while being stationed in Fort Bliss, TX during the Spring of 1942 for his basic training in anti-aircraft gunnery.

Gotta love military thinking and the idea that you can find bliss in Texas.  :lol:

16 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

More specifically it was producers doing the blacklisting. Not Joe McCarthy.

In HOLLYWOOD that was, of course.  But it wasn't only Hollywood screenwriters actors and such that were blackballed (or listed).  

Sepiatone

Those cultural "warnings" in those TCM intros are too terse and unhelpful, and don't really educate the viewers about anything.  I much prefer the "Race and Hollywood" series that Robert Osborne used to do starting 2003, when he would intro and outro a film with 3-minute interviews with a guest about cultural and racial issues in said film.  That was so much more insightful and helpful. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

American Immigration policy belongs squarely with America.  My only criticism is when dolts decide to put kids in cages as a deterrent.  

You do a poor job of trying to characterize me.  Immigration is one area I have stayed away from.  Other areas such as your slide away from democracy has a profound effect on other countries.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Other areas such as your slide away from democracy has a profound effect on other countries.

"Slide away from Democracy" Perfectly stated.

Anyone notice when Americans get disgusted with American politics they always say, "I'm moving to Canada".  Canada doesn't want you.