Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gene Autry movie

ElCid

Anybody know the name of this Gene Autry movie?  He and sidekick are in New York City at a rodeo I think.   Autry works at a ranch that is owned by an Englishman.  He sends his son to New York and Autry has to take him to the owner's ranch.  Autry also gets involved with two sisters and they end up traveling together part of the way with a few adventures.

Thanks, 

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

Anybody know the name of this Gene Autry movie?  He and sidekick are in New York City at a rodeo I think.   Autry works at a ranch that is owned by an Englishman.  He sends his son to New York and Autry has to take him to the owner's ranch.  Autry also gets involved with two sisters and they end up traveling together part of the way with a few adventures.

Thanks, 

Your description sounds like it's Back In The Saddle. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Your description sounds like it's Back In The Saddle. Hope that helps.

Thanks, but I don't believe this is the one.  The son is a young teenager and has a title if I remember correctly.  Also the two sisters are an older one and a younger one and neither is the dance hall type.

Also they were driving back West in two separate vehicles, but eventually joined up.  There was one scene where they stopped by a river or a lake.

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Is it possible that you could be thinking of 2 Gene Autry films. In Boots and Sadles Gene deals with a young teenage son of an Englishmen who has  inherited his father's ranch and in Back In the Saddle, Gene is at a rodeo in NY ?

Thanks.  Will check them out.  I believe both are on Tubi via its Shout Factory connection.  Could very well be confusing them as there were so many.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Is it possible that you could be thinking of 2 Gene Autry films. In Boots and Sadles Gene deals with a young teenage son of an Englishmen who has  inherited his father's ranch and in Back In the Saddle, Gene is at a rodeo in NY ?

Watched both of those and not the one I am thinking about.  The one I am thinking of is one where Gene actually picks up a teenage boy in New York and they travel to the West via automobiles.  I think a pair of bad guys are also following them.  As well as the two sisters.

Thanks for your help though.

The movie is "Gaucho Serenade" from 1940.    I might have gotten it sooner if the description of the two sisters had said that the older one would be Gene's love interest and the younger one was about fourteen years old.  From 1939 to 1941 June Storey played Gene's leading lady in ten movies.  Young singing star Mary Lee was in quite a few movies with Gene in the early forties, often playing a young girl named Patsy, as she does in this movie.   She was sort of Republic Studio's version of Judy Garland.  Here is the scene by the lake.

You can find a complete synopsis of the movie on Wikipedia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

The movie is "Gaucho Serenade" from 1940.    I might have gotten it sooner if the description of the two sisters had said that the older one would be Gene's love interest and the younger one was about fourteen years old.  From 1939 to 1941 June Storey played Gene's leading lady in ten movies.  Young singing star Mary Lee was in quite a few movies with Gene in the early forties, often playing a young girl named Patsy, as she does in this movie.   She was sort of Republic Studio's version of Judy Garland.  Here is the scene by the lake.

You can find a complete synopsis of the movie on Wikipedia.

Thank you!  I believe this is the one I was thinking about.  Will have to view it on Tubi this PM.

On a side note, I'm not a fan of Mary Lee but I looked her up on Wikipedia and kind of interesting story.  Apparently she was in several Gene Autry movies until he joined the Army in WW II.  Then she was in some other shows.  But she got married after high school and left acting about 1945.  

Thank you to those who helped me!  The movie was indeed Gaucho Serenade.  I looked up June Storey on Wikipedia and like so many others she had an interesting life after movies.  Her last role was an uncredited one as Dan Duryea's girlfriend in Too Late for Tears (1949).

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings