• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forever Young: A Memoir by Hayley Mills

noah80

CHWTwg.jpg

Forever Young: A Memoir 
available Sept. 7, 2021

Iconic actress Hayley Mills shares personal memories from her storied childhood, growing up in a famous acting family and becoming a Disney child star, trying to grow up in a world that wanted her to stay forever young.

The daughter of acclaimed British actor Sir John Mills was still a preteen when she began her acting career and was quickly thrust into the spotlight. Under the wing of Walt Disney himself, Hayley Mills was transformed into one of the biggest child starlets of the 1960s through her iconic roles in Pollyanna, The Parent Trap, and many more. She became one of only twelve actors in history to be bestowed with the Academy Juvenile Award, presented at the Oscars by its first recipient, Shirley Temple, and went on to win a number of awards including a Golden Globe, multiple BAFTAs, and a Disney Legacy Award.

Now, in her charming and forthright memoir, she provides a unique window into when Hollywood was still 'Tinseltown' and the great Walt Disney was at his zenith, ruling over what was (at least in his own head) still a family business. This behind-the-scenes look at the drama of having a sky-rocketing career as a young teen in an esteemed acting family will offer both her childhood impressions of the wild and glamorous world she was swept into, and the wisdom and broader knowledge that time has given her. Hayley will delve intimately into her relationship with Walt Disney, as well as the emotional challenges of being bound to a wholesome, youthful public image as she grew into her later teen years, and how that impacted her and her choices--including marrying a producer over 30 years her senior when she was 20! With her regrets, her joys, her difficulties, and her triumphs, this is a compelling read for any fan of classic Disney films and an inside look at a piece of real Hollywood history.

(from amazon.com)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I must confess this scandalous bit of information, which I've heard referenced before, intrigues me.

This info from amazon is incorrect.  She got married in 1971 at the age of 25.  (Note her name is bigger than the title of the book)

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

The age difference would cause the vast majority of people to react with an "ewwww, gross!" response I think. Not me necessarily and apparently not you, but I think virtually all of the rest of humanity.

Rich old men and pretty young women have been getting together for a good while now. 

You want scandal, read up in Nicholas Ray and Natalie Wood at the Chateau Marmont. 

10 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Rich old men and pretty young women have been getting together for a good while now. 

You want scandal, read up in Nicholas Ray and Natalie Wood at the Chateau Marmont. 

I know this is getting a bit off-topic, but the Nick Ray/Natalie Wood scandal wasn't the only one in Ray's orbit.

Ray was married to Gloria Grahame from 1948 to 1952, when they divorced.  That wasn't the end of Grahame's association with Nick Ray's family, however.   From the Wikipedia page on Grahame:

Grahame's fourth and final marriage was to actor Anthony "Tony" Ray (b. 1937), the son of her second husband Nicholas Ray and his first wife Jean Evans; Anthony Ray was her former stepson.  According to Nicholas Ray, their relationship reportedly began when Tony Ray was 13 years old and Grahame was still married to his father (Nicholas Ray allegedly caught the two in bed together, which he claimed effectively ended the marriage to Grahame in 1950.)  However, Grahame's former partner and biographer, Peter Turner, has disputed this, saying that the story of Tony being underage when Grahame began her sexual relationship with him is "fiction".   Grahame and Anthony Ray reconnected in 1958 and married in Tijuana, Mexico, in May, 1960. The couple went on to have two children: Anthony, Jr. (born 1963) and James (born 1965).

News of the marriage was kept private until 1962, when it was written about in the tabloids and the ensuing scandal damaged Grahame's reputation and affected her career.  After learning of her marriage to Anthony Ray, Grahame's third husband, Cy Howard, attempted to gain sole custody of the couple's daughter, Marianna. Howard claimed Grahame was an unfit mother, and the two fought over custody of Marianna for years. The stress of the scandal, her waning career, and her custody battle with Howard took its toll on Grahame and she had a nervous breakdown. She later underwent electroshock therapy in 1964.  Despite the surrounding scandal, Grahame's marriage to Anthony Ray was her only one, of four, to last well beyond four years (her marriage to his father lasted 4 years 2 months), as they did not divorce until a few days short of their 14th anniversary, in May 1974. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Forever young, that was Florence Henderson's mindset which led to her death. (older women thinking they're still in their 20's. )

(my observation after watching "Autopsy: The Last Hours of... on Reelz)

How did it lead to her death??

11 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I was reacting to "scandalous."

For what it's worth, that's like the fourth word I chose. I kept typing in words and then backspacing them out. I think "controversial" was one of my other choices and "tittilating" maybe. I figured any choice would produce some kind of reaction. Maybe I should have just left out an adjective altogether.

• Like 1

a site with more accurate info about Hayley Mills: (probably more info than she would like to share)

https://www.nndb.com/people/727/000024655/

"Five years after making The Family Way, she married that film's director, Roy Boulting. He was 33 years older than she, nearing the end of a long, successful career making droll British comedies. Their son, Crispian Mills, is the lead singer of the psychedelic rock band Kula Shaker. After divorcing Boulting, she had a long affair and fathered a son with actor Leigh Lawson, who married Twiggy after leaving Mills. She also had a mid-1990s affair with her Marcus Maclaine, a musician whose brother, Maxwell Caulfield, is her sister Juliet's husband. More recently she has been linked with Indian-American actor Firdous Bamji, who starred in the 2005 terror thriller The War Within."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings