Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forever Young: A Memoir by Hayley Mills

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Then that would also make Nancy the last major survivor of "Sunset Boulevard".

Indeed. And she's been that way ever since Gloria Swanson passed in 1983. Ironically they were also in the same disaster film, Airport '75, 24 years after Sunset Boulevard, but they never managed to share a scene.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Then that would also make Nancy the last major survivor of "Sunset Boulevard".

‘Sunset Blvd.’ Turns 70: Nancy Olson on Wilder, Holden and Why She Walked Away From Stardom

The 91-year-old, who was Oscar-nominated for her portrayal of a script reader who falls in love with a kept man, looks back on the film that she says "haunts my entire life."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/sunset-blvd-star-nancy-olson-wilder-holden-why-she-walked-away-stardom-1290825/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

At least now we know her book won't go beyond 1967.  I would have liked to get her opinion why her film career did not go so well in the late 1960's and the 1970's.  (Roy Boulting probably partly to blame)

"Her memoir will tell her story up to age 21, "because that’s when my life became my own — it’s the bit that went before that I want to take back", she said. The story will be "told with characteristic warmth and filled with many fond memories" but will also explore mismanagement, bankruptcy, strained family relationships and dislocation."

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/hayley-mills-unique-memoir-golden-age-hollywood-goes-wn-1227087

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

For what it's worth, that's like the fourth word I chose. I kept typing in words and then backspacing them out. I think "controversial" was one of my other choices and "tittilating" maybe. I figured any choice would produce some kind of reaction. Maybe I should have just left out an adjective altogether.

I think wince-inducing might be what you were going for. But I'm being very literal. I think it is the modern sensibility that finds old men with young women disturbing. Wasn't always thus. 

3 hours ago, noah80 said:

At least now we know her book won't go beyond 1967.  I would have liked to get her opinion why her film career did not go so well in the late 1960's and the 1970's.  (Roy Boulting probably partly to blame)

"Her memoir will tell her story up to age 21, "because that’s when my life became my own — it’s the bit that went before that I want to take back", she said. The story will be "told with characteristic warmth and filled with many fond memories" but will also explore mismanagement, bankruptcy, strained family relationships and dislocation."

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/hayley-mills-unique-memoir-golden-age-hollywood-goes-wn-1227087

And here I always thought her career petered out by the mid-'70s was because of her squeaky-clean image and during a time a counter-culture zeitgeist had replaced much of it in both film and in real life. In other words, her inability to shake such an image.

(...remember, this was during a time in which Disney movies and anything associated as "clean cut" became very "un-hip")

• Like 1

Flash back to 1975... (Mills met Leigh Lawson later that year)

Hayley Mills, 28, and Roy Boulting, 61: Pollyanna Never Had It So Happy

https://people.com/archive/hayley-mills-28-and-roy-boulting-61-pollyanna-never-had-it-so-happy-vol-3-no-14/

The 33 years that separate Roy and Hayley weigh far less heavily than when they first met. In fact Hayley admits: “We joke about him being very old and me pushing him along the seafront in a wheelchair under an old tartan rug.” More seriously she says, “The great thing about a marriage is that you can be as moody or as funny or as boring as you want to be—I was terrified of being boring until I met Roy—and still believe you’ll be loved. Everybody needs an appreciative audience. I do. And Roy is.” As for Boulting, he mulls over this, his fourth and seemingly final marriage, and declares: “We’re now more firmly together than ever—it’s really come good.”

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, noah80 said:

Flash back to 1975...

Hayley Mills, 28, and Roy Boulting, 61: Pollyanna Never Had It So Happy

https://people.com/archive/hayley-mills-28-and-roy-boulting-61-pollyanna-never-had-it-so-happy-vol-3-no-14/

Fun read but I can believe Mr. Boulting appreciated being compared to Humbert. No man would. (Aside from being a predator, fictional Humbert was also no old man. He was something like 35.)

And I didn't know Hayley had been considered for Lolita. (And if you read up on Sue Lyon's experience in that production  you will find yet another scandal.) 

18 hours ago, noah80 said:

‘Sunset Blvd.’ Turns 70: Nancy Olson on Wilder, Holden and Why She Walked Away From Stardom

The 91-year-old, who was Oscar-nominated for her portrayal of a script reader who falls in love with a kept man, looks back on the film that she says "haunts my entire life."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/sunset-blvd-star-nancy-olson-wilder-holden-why-she-walked-away-stardom-1290825/

Thanks for this article! Really enjoyed reading it.

I thought she was cute as a button in the parent trap.

Classic Film Through A Feminist Lens: THE PARENT TRAP

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36800000/The-Parent-Trap-Original-image-the-parent-trap-original-36810193-500-696.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, noah80 said:

Thanks for posting the article.  Enjoyed reading it :)

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Thanks for this article! Really enjoyed reading it.

looking forward to reading Olson's memoir "A Front Row Seat" (especially the part about JFK)

CfHMB4.jpg

44 minutes ago, noah80 said:

looking forward to reading Olson's memoir "A Front Row Seat" (especially the part about JFK)

CfHMB4.jpg

Is that a recent picture???

22 hours ago, noah80 said:

Thanks much for the very interesting article.  I've always liked Nancy Olson and wish she'd been in more pictures -- although I'm certainly glad she was able to make the choice not to continue as a full-time movie star if that's what she wanted.  My wife and I are big fans of her and Holden's performances in Union Station, an excellent film noir about a kidnapping and its aftermath, which we watch almost every year.  This article makes me want to watch Sunset Blvd.  again -- haven't seen it for several years. 

I really liked Nancy Olson and William Holden in “Force of Arms.”  Holden plays a soldier who falls in love with Olson, a nurse. They meet and fall in love while Holden is on leave. He has to return to the battlefield and he and Olson struggle to stay together. 

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Is that a recent picture???

Just did some checking, and a picture of her in the same outfit popped up on Google attached to a New York Post article from August 2020, so yes, that's pretty much what she would look like today.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

And I didn't know Hayley had been considered for Lolita. (And if you read up on Sue Lyon's experience in that production  you will find yet another scandal.) 

When Hayley Mills was at one of the early TCM Festivals, she said that the producer offered her parents a Matisse if they would let her play Lolita. The Pollyanna-to-Lolita switch would have made for huge publicity. Her parents refused. As she said, she can't know if her life and career would have been better or worse had she played Lolita, but they certainly would have been different. By the way, Hayley Mills, who introduced Whistle Down the Wind at the festival, seemed delightful, with an excellent head on her shoulders and a sense of perspective.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I thought she was cute as a button in the parent trap.

The Trouble With Angels is when the hook was set on me. 

MV5BZjQzNjYyM2ItM2VmOC00NTVkLWIzYjgtNGM3

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kingrat said:

When Hayley Mills was at one of the early TCM Festivals, she said that the producer offered her parents a Matisse if they would let her play Lolita. The Pollyanna-to-Lolita switch would have made for huge publicity. Her parents refused. As she said, she can't know if her life and career would have been better or worse had she played Lolita, but they certainly would have been different. By the way, Hayley Mills, who introduced Whistle Down the Wind at the festival, seemed delightful, with an excellent head on her shoulders and a sense of perspective.

It would have been a mistake for all concerned. I'm wondering if the Mills's weren't suspicious of producer James Harris, assuming he was the one who made the offer. 

I recall reading here a few years ago that Nancy's memoir was complete and ready for publication. 

I hope that this isn't one of those phantom tomes which won't see the light (Olivia.... )

1 hour ago, Roy Cronin said:

I recall reading here a few years ago that Nancy's memoir was complete and ready for publication. 

I hope that this isn't one of those phantom tomes which won't see the light (Olivia.... )

I was about to give up on this book but since it was mentioned again last year so it must be true.  I read somewhere that Nancy Olson was at a party to celebrate JFK's inauguration.  JFK showed up at the party and took an interest in her.  (I can't remember where I got this info)

On 6/14/2021 at 7:55 PM, Dargo said:

And here I always thought her career petered out by the mid-'70s was because of her squeaky-clean image and during a time a counter-culture zeitgeist had replaced much of it in both film and in real life. In other words, her inability to shake such an image.

(...remember, this was during a time in which Disney movies and anything associated as "clean cut" became very "un-hip")

It IS possible to shake the good girl Disney image- best example is Lindsey Lohan and then probably Miley and Demi.