Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

June 25, Jane Russell night

In honor of her 100th birthday, TCM will present three Jane Russell movies on June 25th.   First is The Outlaw at 8 PM ET, followed by The Paleface.

The third and one of my favorite movies is His Kind of Woman with Robert Mitchum and Vincent Price.  A somewhat humorous film noir set mostly in Mexico.

• Thanks 4
On 6/15/2021 at 8:22 AM, ElCid said:

In honor of her 100th birthday, TCM will present three Jane Russell movies on June 25th.   First is The Outlaw at 8 PM ET, followed by The Paleface.

The third and one of my favorite movies is His Kind of Woman with Robert Mitchum and Vincent Price.  A somewhat humorous film noir set mostly in Mexico.

I love His Kind of Woman! It's entertaining and Vincent Price is hilarious in a part that only he could play.  

• Like 4

I wonder why they decided on June 25th when June 21st is her birthday.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I love His Kind of Woman! It's entertaining and Vincent Price is hilarious in a part that only he could play.  

Vincent Price, Was; and Is ,(Absolutely) INCREDIBLE.

🎭🎨

6 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Very Well Perhaps Hair-Splitting and Minute, but yeah.. ...i kinda wonder the same thing.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, sagebrush said:

The 25th roughly coincides with the release date of a major new biography of Russell, so that may be the reason. I'm sure whoever does the intros will mention the new book. 

• Thanks 1

Nothing that I havent seen before umpteen times. I might tune in to Paleface depending on the time and what else is on. Outlaw is terrible. There probably will be a book tie in.

22 hours ago, Hibi said:

Nothing that I havent seen before umpteen times. I might tune in to Paleface depending on the time and what else is on. Outlaw is terrible. There probably will be a book tie in.

I agree, THE OUTLAW is a terrible movie. But it's terrible like a train wreck--you can't ignore it, especially with talent like Walter Huston and Thomas Mitchell on board. Howard Hughes' battles with the Production Code Administration (including the advertising arm of the PCA) over the film are a fascinating subject for study. But there's really only one reason to watch OUTLAW, and that's Jane Russell. Without her, it would be just another train wreck of a movie. She makes it much easier on the eyes. 

s-l300.jpg

Have this hanging on the wall of my office. It was my favorite movie as a kid, my first introduction to Jane Russell. Second was her full figured gals ad for Playtex brassieres.

Love her in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, didn't really get the fun of this scene until older-

df5aa841e2a65053a16467ecf9613b83.jpg

It took big cahunas for her to star alongside petite, eye catching Marilyn, I give Jane lots of credit. Russell certainly was smolderingly beautiful, love her unusual mouth.

f8eb89866da7fec5be9a88c72710a181--vintag

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Turns out there was only a quick mention of the new biography in the outro to The Paleface. Too bad, because it's really well written and researched. (She previously wrote a well-received bio of Ann Dvorak.) Both the book and the TCM salute were meant to coincide with Jane's Centennial, but nobody brought them together in a meaningful way. Alicia Malone repeated the usual things about marrying her high school sweetheart, when the reality was that Jane and Bob Waterfield had a very complicated (and occasionally abusive) relationship. The program consisted of her first, third and fourth films, so it would have been nice to see something from further along in her career, if only for a little balance. She remained under contract to Howard Hughes for over 35 years, so it would have been informative to hear how that worked in terms of what she was able to do. It's a shame that such comprehensive new material (the first and only major biography of Russell) wasn't included in the discussion around these three films.

• Thanks 2

I'm still waiting for Warners to do a 35mm release of THE FRENCH LINE. I have a 16 Tech print. It's a lot of fun. And, of course, there is THAT DANCE! A friend of mine has a 35mm tech print of the original dance. For the final release, they used mostly long shots of Jane. 

Someone put up a youtube using both left and right (it was in 3D) prints of the original dance:

• Like 3