Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

June 21 - Summer movies


ElCid
 Share

Recommended Posts

June 21 will feature 'Sun-Drenched Summer Classics.  I don't like musicals, but I do like Moon Over Miami with Carole Landis and Betty Grable.

Key Largo is also being shown, but not sure how a B&W Film Noir fits into "Sun-Drenched."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ElCid said:

June 21 will feature 'Sun-Drenched Summer Classics.  I don't like musicals, but I do like Moon Over Miami with Carole Landis and Betty Grable.

Key Largo is also being shown, but not sure how a B&W Film Noir fits into "Sun-Drenched."

Why, By And Large; No Musicals for You ?...

 Just Curious

 

 

 

 

 If i was to choose.. say, - five titles or fewer..

    Yankee Doodle Dandy. Finians Rainbow,. Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. And the Bandwagon are (in particular) my bees knees..

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Aritosthenes said:

Why, By And Large; No Musicals for You ?...

 Just Curious

 

 

 

 

 If i was to choose.. say, - five titles or fewer..

    Yankee Doodle Dandy. Finians Rainbow,. Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. And the Bandwagon are (in particular) my bees knees..

 

 

It's funny reading this as a couple of years ago I would have been a no musical guy. Since then, movies like Yankee Doodle Dandy and Fiddler on the Roof get to me every time and I get a little emotional with those movies, more than most others.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ElCid said:

June 21 will feature 'Sun-Drenched Summer Classics.  I don't like musicals, but I do like Moon Over Miami with Carole Landis and Betty Grable.

Key Largo is also being shown, but not sure how a B&W Film Noir fits into "Sun-Drenched."

Is The Long Hot Summer being featured?     It should be just for Welles and the almost-dark-face make-up!

"you've been getting too much sun,,,, you're darker than those stogies!".

 

The Long, Hot Summer | Trailers From Hell

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Stallion said:

It's funny reading this as a couple of years ago I would have been a no musical guy. Since then, movies like Yankee Doodle Dandy and Fiddler on the Roof get to me every time and I get a little emotional with those movies, more than most others.

Personally.. ...i LOVE Doodle.

 

   But ive never much developed a "taste" for Fiddler On the Roof though ..

- not really sure why, either...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two Other.. ..."Tentpole" Musicals i,ve never really gotten into (are) the Sound of Music and My Fair Lady..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Is The Long Hot Summer being featured?     It should be just for Welles and the almost-dark-face make-up!

"you've been getting too much sun,,,, you're darker than those stogies!".

 

The Long, Hot Summer | Trailers From Hell

 

I think The Long Hot Summer was just on a week or two ago, probably this month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Is The Long Hot Summer being featured?     It should be just for Welles and the almost-dark-face make-up!

"you've been getting too much sun,,,, you're darker than those stogies!".

 

The Long, Hot Summer | Trailers From Hell

 

In crafting my new book, Summer Movies: 30 Sun-Drenched Classics, I started with a list of over 300 films ranging from Charlie Chaplin’s 1915 short By the Sea (“a classic of girls, the seashore and the good old summer time”) to the recent superhero movie Spider-Man: Far from Home (2019). There is a wide range of experiences, settings and themes in summer films, and this night of programming exhibits a nice sampling from the book, of which I’ll discuss with TCM host Dave Karger.

Moon Over Miami (1941)

“It’s always June in Miami Beach!” So proclaimed billboards to lure frostbitten Northerners to the sunny shores of South Florida in the early 20th century. Here, star Betty Grable travels with her sister and aunt to find a millionaire husband and ends up finding herself in a tuneful love triangle with Don Ameche and Robert Cummings.

Gidget (1959)

You can divide the history of surfing into pre-Gidget and post-Gidget eras. The story of a budding California teenager (Sandra Dee) who ingratiates herself with the local beach bums brought the sport into mainstream consciousness and led to a new film genre: the beach movie.

Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday (1953)

French comedian Jacques Tati put his mark on the summer movie with this breezy depiction of a week at a seaside resort. Here, his iconic character Hulot makes his debut as a hapless but nonchalant tourist who gets himself into all sorts of leisurely hijinks.

Key Largo (1948)

A look at the dark side of summer, John Huston’s crime film features the muggy Florida Keys, a violent hurricane and a pack of gangsters intent on offloading a batch of counterfeit currency. This was the last movie to pair Bogie and Bacall, and it also features memorable turns by Edward G. Robinson and an Oscar-winning Claire Trevor.

You’re Only Young Once (1937)

This early entry in the Andy Hardy series follows the Hardy family to Catalina Island for a much-needed summer vacation. Mickey Rooney stars as one of cinema’s most iconic teenagers who gains a new perspective on love while soaking up some California rays.

Summer Stock (1950)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ElCid said:

In crafting my new book, Summer Movies: 30 Sun-Drenched Classics, I started with a list of over 300 films ranging from Charlie Chaplin’s 1915 short By the Sea (“a classic of girls, the seashore and the good old summer time”) to the recent superhero movie Spider-Man: Far from Home (2019). There is a wide range of experiences, settings and themes in summer films, and this night of programming exhibits a nice sampling from the book, of which I’ll discuss with TCM host Dave Karger.

Moon Over Miami (1941)

“It’s always June in Miami Beach!” So proclaimed billboards to lure frostbitten Northerners to the sunny shores of South Florida in the early 20th century. Here, star Betty Grable travels with her sister and aunt to find a millionaire husband and ends up finding herself in a tuneful love triangle with Don Ameche and Robert Cummings.

Gidget (1959)

You can divide the history of surfing into pre-Gidget and post-Gidget eras. The story of a budding California teenager (Sandra Dee) who ingratiates herself with the local beach bums brought the sport into mainstream consciousness and led to a new film genre: the beach movie.

Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday (1953)

French comedian Jacques Tati put his mark on the summer movie with this breezy depiction of a week at a seaside resort. Here, his iconic character Hulot makes his debut as a hapless but nonchalant tourist who gets himself into all sorts of leisurely hijinks.

Key Largo (1948)

A look at the dark side of summer, John Huston’s crime film features the muggy Florida Keys, a violent hurricane and a pack of gangsters intent on offloading a batch of counterfeit currency. This was the last movie to pair Bogie and Bacall, and it also features memorable turns by Edward G. Robinson and an Oscar-winning Claire Trevor.

You’re Only Young Once (1937)

This early entry in the Andy Hardy series follows the Hardy family to Catalina Island for a much-needed summer vacation. Mickey Rooney stars as one of cinema’s most iconic teenagers who gains a new perspective on love while soaking up some California rays.

Summer Stock (1950)

When is your book being released?

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

When is your book being released?

 

For those not in the "know," I copied my post above from the TCM Now Playing email in order to answer James' question.  In  a hurry, I did not make sure to copy all of the post on the Now Playing email, such as who was writing the article.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...