Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Screenwriting Credits for A Man for Seasons

JohnA

I am working on a book and need some help. Robert Bolt was originally listed as the sole screenwriter of A Man for All Seasons (1966). But recently, I've seen that some listings credit the screenplay to Bolt and Constance Willis who did continuity in the original credits.  It's listed that way on the DVD jacket, in film study guides, and on the online encyclopedia britannica  listing for the film. So, something seems to have happened. But I can't find any article or notice documenting it. I even went to the writers guild site but couldn't find anything. I know that Bolt was listed as the sole screenwriter for Lawrence of Arabia but that was later changed--with some fanfare--to co-writer credit with Michael Wilson, who had originally been assigned the screenplay. The determination was that Bolt had taken the structure for the film from Wilson's draft and concentrated on the dialogue.  (Something similar happened with the 1968 Charge of the Light Brigade when John Osborne just took a history of the Crimean War and copied the structure, basically dramatizing the historian's work. A UK court refused to dismiss, and the case was settled out of court, leaving unresolved whether taking the structure of a work is copyright violation. ) Willis died in 1992, Bolt in 1995. If anyone has any information on this situation or how I might find some, I would appreciate it.