Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

what the holy hell do we need this unnecessary federal holiday courtesy of mindless liberalism for? slavery ended when Lee surrndered to Grant at Appamatox Courthouse...in 1865!

156 years ago. symbolism over substance as the late Rush Limbaugh would say...of course Rush was being unduly kind. what he really meant was no rhyme or reason.

so liberals wanna heal racial division...by making 2021 1865?

makes sense huh? it never will but this is all that liberalism knows how to do.

nothing and then calling it something and you can believe VP Kamala is completely overjoyed.

to her it is a pitchfork she will use to shove into white devils.

"worship me, white devils"

Kamala Harris Is on the 2020 TIME 100 List | TIME

• Sad 1
28 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

what the holy hell do we need this unnecessary federal holiday courtesy of mindless liberalism for? slavery ended when Lee surrndered to Grant at Appamatox Courthouse...in 1865!

156 years ago. symbolism over substance as the late Rush Limbaugh would say...of course Rush was being unduly kind. what he really meant was no rhyme or reason.

nothing and then calling it something and you can believe VP Kamala is completely overjoyed.

Don't forget Ronald Reagan a Republican added Martin Luther King Day a Federal holiday in 1983.

reagan_mlk.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

Actually, it ended in 1863 or 2  with the signing of Abraham Lincoln's EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION,  Einstein.   But that's just "officially".   In practice, it took the state of Texas TWO YEARS to get the notice and finally set slaves free.  But the holiday, though not a federal one, has been celebrated by freed slaves and African-Americans since 1866.  Making it a federal holiday IS a way to help bridge the gap.  NOT any way to "stick it" to the "white devils".  

You seem to have an unhealthy reaction to matters of racial tolerance.  You should consider seeking help.

Sepiatone

• Like 3
2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Long as one gets a paid day off from work, who cares? :D

The taxpayers who have to pay for that holiday.  The businesses and people who cannot send or receive mail that day.  Too  many holidays already.  Need to cancel one for every new one added.

As an aside, when S.C. enacted Martin Luther King's Birthday as a state holiday, they also further enshrined Confederate Memorial Day as a state holiday.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Don't forget Ronald Reagan a Republican added Martin Luther King Day a Federal holiday in 1983.

reagan_mlk.jpg

Ronald Reagan did no such thing.  The U.S. Congress enacted it and he signed it.

• Like 1

While I am not as liberal as a few on this board, I am fairly liberal and definitely left of center.  However, this new holiday is a mistake.  I go all the way back to 1971 in contributing to African-American organizations.

Congress and states need to cancel a holiday every time they add a new holiday.

The U.S. now has two Federal holidays to honor African-Americans.  Make no mistake about it, that is how MLK Day was sold to Congress - it would honor African-Americans, not just MLK.  The only other Federal holidays for individuals are Christmas and Columbus Day, unless I am mistaken.   There are no holidays for races other than MLK Day and now Junteenth, unless I am mistaken.

Where are the Federal holidays for Native Americans, Jews, Hispanics,  Asians, women and many other groups?

As has been noted before on other threads, the abolition of slavery is more appropriately observed on the date the Emancipation Proclamation was signed or became effective or when the 13th Amendment was enacted.  Juneteenth is a made up holiday based on something that happened in Texas.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Kamala Harris Is on the 2020 TIME 100 List | TIME

Man oh man!!  If you said what you typed here, you’d be foaming at the mouth with your rabid reaction!!  You probably were, as you typed!!  YOU are the one who sees everything as a Black  or White issue!!  No wonder you love Donald Trump so much, since he did not do anything to help the middle or lower classes, but gave you the go-ahead to feel good about your racist hatreds!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Arturo said:

Man oh man!!  If you said what you typed here, you’d be foaming at the mouth with your rabid reaction!!  You probably were, as you typed!!  YOU are the one who sees everything as a Black  or White issue!!  No wonder you love Donald Trump so much, since he did not do anything to help the middle or lower classes, but gave you the go-ahead to feel good about your racist hatreds!!

Well said, but don't forget the continuous misogynistic outbursts.  It is hard to keep up with all this Trumpist aggrievances, I'll admit.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

American Indians. Easy, Get rid of the holiday for the mass murderer and give it to them.

What mass murderer?

42 minutes ago, ElCid said:

What mass murderer?

Think he's referring to Christopher Columbus.  Yes we need to get rid of that one, let the Caribbean have it.

Hope the government don't have "Viking Day" since they got here long before Columbus :wacko:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, ElCid said:

While I am not as liberal as a few on this board, I am fairly liberal and definitely left of center.  However, this new holiday is a mistake.  I go all the way back to 1971 in contributing to African-American organizations.

Congress and states need to cancel a holiday every time they add a new holiday.

The U.S. now has two Federal holidays to honor African-Americans.  Make no mistake about it, that is how MLK Day was sold to Congress - it would honor African-Americans, not just MLK.  The only other Federal holidays for individuals are Christmas and Columbus Day, unless I am mistaken.   There are no holidays for races other than MLK Day and now Junteenth, unless I am mistaken.

Where are the Federal holidays for Native Americans, Jews, Hispanics,  Asians, women and many other groups?

As has been noted before on other threads, the abolition of slavery is more appropriately observed on the date the Emancipation Proclamation was signed or became effective or when the 13th Amendment was enacted.  Juneteenth is a made up holiday based on something that happened in Texas.  

Careful such talk can get you labeled a racist by the extreme left here.  

• Haha 1

I think the Juneteenth holiday honours us all.

Regarding those who have a fear of the cost of giving people another day off, look at it this way: It gives people more time to go out and stimulate the economy! Holidays are good for business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
5 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I think the Juneteenth holiday honours us all.

Regarding those who have a fear of the cost of giving people another day off, look at it this way: It gives people more time to go out and stimulate the economy! Holidays are good for business.

But isn't that an issue in itself?  Obviously it's not a holiday for everyone, as many still have to work!  And that goes for virtually every holiday, not just this new one...

1 minute ago, txfilmfan said:

But isn't that an issue in itself?  Obviously it's not a holiday for everyone, as many still have to work!  And that goes for virtually every holiday, not just this new one...

Well, people work on Christmas, New Year's, Thanksgiving, etc. I don't think there's any holiday where every person in the country gets the day off! There are ways of making this work. In the early days of my career, we got Election Day, Lincoln's Birthday, and Washington's Birthday off (the business was closed on those days). Then, they dropped Election Day and Lincoln's Birthday and gave us two "floating holidays," because they wanted the business to be open and staffed. We were then able to use the floating holidays more or less when we wanted.

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Actually, it ended in 1863 or 2  with the signing of Abraham Lincoln's EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION,  Einstein.   But that's just "officially".   In practice, it took the state of Texas TWO YEARS to get the notice and finally set slaves free.  But the holiday, though not a federal one, has been celebrated by freed slaves and African-Americans since 1866.  Making it a federal holiday IS a way to help bridge the gap.  NOT any way to "stick it" to the "white devils".  

You seem to have an unhealthy reaction to matters of racial tolerance.  You should consider seeking help.

Sepiatone

Actually the Emancipation Proclamation only applied to all states in rebellion  (from the Wikipedia):

"That on the first day of January in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, all persons held as slaves within any State, or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free; and the executive government of the United States, including the military and naval authority thereof, will recognize and maintain the freedom of such persons, and will do no act or acts to repress such persons, or any of them, in any efforts they may make for their actual freedom."

To ensure the abolition of slavery in all of the U.S., Lincoln also insisted that Reconstruction plans for Southern states require abolition in new state laws (which occurred during the war in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Louisiana); Lincoln encouraged border states to adopt abolition (which occurred during the war in Maryland, Missouri, and West Virginia) and pushed for passage of the Thirteenth Amendment. Congress passed the 13th Amendment by the necessary two-thirds vote on January 31, 1865, and it was ratified by the states on December 6, 1865. The amendment made chattel slavery and indentured servitude illegal.

End of Wikipedia quotes

So actually December 6 should be celebrated as a day of emancipation for it made slavery forever illegal in the US. But June 19 is just perfect for the feds beating it out of town to their beach houses  which is what it is all about to them anyways. How do I know? I heard them talking about it yesterday. Not slavery. The beach.  Southbound I-95  last night indicated that was indeed the truth.

TL;DR - Sometimes the person correcting Einstein can be wrong too. Just sayin'. 

9 hours ago, hamradio said:

Long as one gets a paid day off from work, who cares? :D

The feds get 13 paid holidays this year. One of those is inauguration day, so it is regional and it only happens every four years  Another is the weird situation of New Year's Day being celebrated for two years within the same year. But if you add one, you need to take another away. Most people in the private sector get 10 paid holidays a year if they are lucky.  This is the only problem I have with adding this holiday. The feds have it way too comfy as it is. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ElCid said:

What mass murderer?

Yep, Columbus is the man. How many other countries have holidays celebrating a mass murderer?

Not too many I hope.

• Haha 1