Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The discussion of The Rockford Files music in the other thread made me wonder, since its now of a bygone era, what the best musical themes were for TV shows.  I will post my top 25 in the thread in another post, but this should be fun. :)

• Like 1

My 25 Themes of choice (and yes, one or two were pre-existing songs, but they work well)

L.A. Law (1986-1994)

Falcon Crest (original theme in use from 1981-1989)

China Beach (1988-1991) Pre-existing song: Reflections by Diana Ross and the Supremes

Twin Peaks (1990-1991)

The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-1977)

Murder She Wrote (1984-1996)

Dynasty (1981-1989) i prefer the first season's string version to the rest of the show's brass version, although both are good.

Hill Street Blues (1981-1987)

Taxi (1978-1983)

Cheers (1982-1993)

St. Elsewhere (1982-1988)

The Waltons (1972-1981)

The Love Boat (1977-1986)

My So-Called Life (1994-1995)

Mission: Impossible (1966-1973)

Laverne and Shirley (1976-1983)

Miami Vice (1984-1989)

the Rockford Files (1974-1980)

Ally McBeal (1997-2002)

ER (theme used from 1994-2006)

NYPD Blue (1993-2005)

Homefront (1991-1993) Pre-existing song: Ac-cent-u-ate the Positive

Moonlighting (1985-1989)

The Golden Girls (1985-1992)

Dallas (1978-1991)

• Like 2

The theme for The Love Boat was updated for the 9th and final season. Dionne Warwick sings the signature tune.

And wasn't Ted McGinley just one of the handsomest guys on TV in the 80s?!...oh, and that's Teri Hatcher as one of the mermaids.

• Like 1

WAIT, Has no one mentioned the theme from “the Jeffersons” yet or did I miss it? Because that’s number one, no argument.

🎶Fish don’t fry in the kitchen, beans don’t burn on the grill/ Took a whole Lotta turns at bat just to get up that hill..”

• Like 1

My favorite: The "e.r." opening credits. Composer James Newton Howard used a recurring siren sound to set a tone of urgency for the series. But the best thing about the fast-paced opening credits is that it introduced at least 10 regulars in less than a minute.

The series stopped using the theme song after Season 12, but it was brought back during Season 15 for the final episode on April 2, 2009.

• Like 1

My runner-up is "The A-Team" theme by the prolific Mike Post, who composed or co-created the theme songs for "The Rockford Files," "Hill Street Blues," "Magnum, P.I.," "L.A. Law" and "The Greatest American Hero." Many of them reached the Top 40 on Billboard's pop chart (Joey Scarbury's hit "Believe It Or Not" from "The Greatest American Hero" was No. 2 in 1981). 

"The A-Team" aired on NBC from 1982 to 1987. The opening credits tell you just about everything you need to know about the series. And I love the shot of Dirk Benedict and a Cylon.

I loved this show and wish it had lasted. Susan Dey played the oldest daughter. A young Sela Ward was one of her kid sisters. Maud Adams was the girlfriend of their widowed father (Dennis Weaver). This theme was written by Bill Conti.

3 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Re: "My favorite: The "e.r." opening credits. Composer James Newton Howard used a recurring siren sound to set a tone of urgency for the series."

Lalo Schifrin used a siren-like synthesizer effect for the following Second Season opening in 1970, supporting EricJ's claim of the 1970s being the Golden Age of television themes:     

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Re: "Lalo Schifrin used a siren-like synthesizer effect for the following Second Season opening in 1970, supporting EricJ's claim of the 1970s being the Golden Age of television themes..."

Personally, I think the birth of the so-called Golden Age of television themes occurred earlier and was well under way years before the Me TV Decade began:     

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Re: "Personally, I think the birth of the so-called Golden Age of television themes occurred earlier and was well under way years before the Me TV Decade..."

The 1960s yielded some Olympian competitive competition in television themes:     

• Like 2

The 60s themes weren't bad. Here's one of the catchiest tunes, credited to Lionel Newman and Vera Matson. But some sources say Matson's husband Ken Darby actually wrote it with Newman.

No wonder the Darbys were married for 60 years!

14 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Re: " The 1960s yielded some Olympian competitive competition in television themes..."

Jerry Goldsmith's Room 222 theme is a prerequisite for the History of Television Theme Music 101:     

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Jerry Goldsmith's Room 222 theme is a prerequisite in the History of Television Theme Music 101:     

Dramedy before the word was coined...

• Like 2