Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 5:58 PM, TopBilled said:

Benson:

Great theme and show. Too bad it's seldom seen on syndication nowadays, considering how popular it was during its original broadcast. Same with the show it spun off from SOAP.

As for favorite tv theme songs, I really like the themes from CHEERS, THE JEFFERSONS, DALLAS, DYNASTY, HAPPY DAYS, THE SOPRANOS and LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Great theme and show. Too bad it's seldom seen on syndication nowadays, considering how popular it was during its original broadcast. Same with the show it spun off from SOAP.

As for favorite tv theme songs, I really like the themes from CHEERS, THE JEFFERSONS, DALLAS, DYNASTY, HAPPY DAYS, THE SOPRANOS and LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY.

Speaking of Benson and Soap the production company (Witt-Thomas) also created It's a Living. This is a fun show that aired on ABC the first two seasons, then spent the next few years in first-run syndication.

Ann Jillian was superb, she had impeccable comic timing as Cassie.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 37kitties said:

Yes, I have to say THE ADDAMS FAMILY had one cool theme song. 

I saw them in syndication (having been born in the mid 70's), but they used to play THE ADDAMS FAMILY and THE MUNSTERS back to back, and I have to say I always preferred ADDAMS by a long mile. I can't put my finger on it, but something about THE MUNSTERS just turned me off.

21 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I have to say I always preferred ADDAMS by a long mile. I can't put my finger on it, but something about THE MUNSTERS just turned me off.

Well, for one thing, Yvonne De Carlo is no Carolyn Jones.

And Fred Gwynne is no John Astin.

Not even close.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 37kitties said:

Well, for one thing, Yvonne De Carlo is no Carolyn Jones.

And Fred Gwynne is no John Astin.

Not even close.

it's interesting though that neither show lasted longer than 2 seasons. I guess both shows wore out their welcome.

Curious if it was because of failing ratings or because the TV studio heads just wanted to get rid of the shows. I know that was the case with GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. The powers that be were faced with cancelling that or GUNSMOKE and it was  the former that ended up on the chopping block. 

Just now, Sepiatone said:

I have to admit I liked both shows.  And both of their themes.   But you gotta admit----

THE MUNSTERS had the way cooler car!  ;) 

I will give THE MUNSTERS that much, that car is super awesome. 

But I gotta say THE ADDAMS FAMILY had the snappier theme song.;)

Just now, Sepiatone said:

SONG, sure,  but The Munsters theme being an instrumental did "rock" somewhat more....    (I posted earlier, but will repeat.)

Sepiatone

So Cal surf/hot rod  guitar (Dick Dale) influence is pretty evident...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

it's interesting though that neither show lasted longer than 2 seasons. I guess both shows wore out their welcome.

Curious if it was because of failing ratings or because the TV studio heads just wanted to get rid of the shows. I know that was the case with GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. The powers that be were faced with cancelling that or GUNSMOKE and it was  the former that ended up on the chopping block. 

They both debuted within a week of each other, and were in the Top 25 at the end of their first season.  I think the novelty wore off.   Also, ABC was running Batman's second weekly episode (Thursday) opposite The Munsters, in their second season,  which likely hastened the decline of that show.  Both Batman episodes were in the Top 10 in its first season.

John Astin has stated in interviews that he was shocked when it was cancelled.  The Addams Family  second season on ABC was scheduled against Hogan's Heroes on Fridays on CBS.  Hogan's Heroes was also in the Top 10 that season (65-66).  In the first season of The Addams Family, CBS tried at least 4 different shows as competition.  NBC ran Bob Hope's Chrysler Theater or a Bob Hope special in that time slot, but ABC won that timeslot easily in the first year.

Both shows would also have to move to color for their 3rd season, which would increase production costs, and likely would have required significant retooling of the sets and definitely the makeup (though the Munsters pilot was shot in color).   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

John Astin has stated in interviews that he was shocked when it was cancelled.  The Addams Family  second season on ABC was scheduled against Hogan's Heroes on Fridays on CBS.  Hogan's Heroes was also in the Top 10 that season (65-66).  In the first season of The Addams Family, CBS tried at least 4 different shows as competition.  NBC ran Bob Hope's Chrysler Theater or a Bob Hope special in that time slot, but ABC won that timeslot easily in the first year.

I remember Hogan in it's first run, so I must have watched it but I have never really liked it, so I'm wondering what was scheduled before it. Seems like I recall My Three Sons coming on the same night, before it or after it, and I did like shows with kids in them. 

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Thank heavens. Gilligan's Island was STOOPID.

3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I remember Hogan in it's first run, so I must have watched it but I have never really liked it, so I'm wondering what was scheduled before it. Seems like I recall My Three Sons coming on the same night, before of or after it, and I did like shows with kids in them. 

The Wild Wild West, at 7:30/6:30 Central on CBS, followed by Hogan, then Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. and the half-hour Smothers Brothers Show.

This was the first year of Hogan's Heroes.

In 67-68, it moved to Saturdays at 9/8CT, and My Three Sons was on at 8:30/7:30CT

• Like 1
1 minute ago, txfilmfan said:

The Wild Wild West, at 7:30/6:30 Central on CBS, followed by Hogan, then Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. and the half-hour Smothers Brothers Show.

This was the first year of Hogan's Heroes.

In 67-68, it moved to Saturdays at 9/8CT, and My Three Sons was on at 8:30/7:30CT

Maybe I watched it for Klink and Schultz, and liked it more than I remember.  Thanks.

54 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

Both, most likely.

The producers already changed the theme song from "and the rest"  to mentioning the professor and Maryann.    They didn't wish to make another change:  "and babies,  Gingerpie and Mary Jr"    (but "professors seedlings" would have been cute).

See how I tied this to the title of this thread.

• Haha 1