Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's a '60s TV theme that became a pop hit. It was composed by Morton Stevens. The Ventures' 1969 cover went to No, 4 on Billboard's Hot 100  chart. The fast-paced editing of the opening credits presaged the MTV era. 

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, uncle charlie said:

Re: "I think the best TV theme music ever belongs to Canada. Living in a border town my whole life, CBC’s “Hockey Night in Canada” was the soundtrack to the first 45 years of my life."

A  clever cartoon of yours made its way down to Los Angeles:     

31 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Here's a '60s TV theme that became a pop hit. It was composed by Morton Stevens. The Ventures' 1969 cover went to No, 4 on Billboard's Hot 100  chart. The fast-paced editing of the opening credits presaged the MTV era. 

Other themes from this show were repurposed by CBS for this little intro for CBS specials.  Most folks never realized it.

The comments section of this video on Youtube actually explains how they spliced this together:

• Thanks 1

Even though Tobey Maguire appeared on late night television to promote the(n) new Spider-Man (2002), the house band felt compelled to use the following 1960s score instead:     

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

A beautiful theme written by Henry Mancini. 

In the first few seasons of this opener, a violinist misses a note on a downward run towards the end, and it grates on me every time I hear it.   I believe they recorded a new version a few seasons in.

Supposedly the film of the couple in the car is from the film On Golden Pond.

• Like 1

Not a series, but continuing on the sports theme.  My partner and I went to London for Wimbledon one year in the early 2000s, and as he was watching the BBC coverage one afternoon, he asked "What happened to the "Wimbledon music?"  He's a big tennis fan.  I said "What Wimbledon music?" and he hummed a few bars of the song below.  I laughed and said that was NBC's Wimbledon music.  Wimbledon itself doesn't have a theme song and the BBC uses different music altogether. (Same goes for the Olympics themes we hear).

• Like 2

This opening sequence had three things going for it.

The theme was an orchestral version of Burt Bacharach's song "Nikki."

The announcer was Dick Tufeld, who was the voice of The Robot on TV's "Lost in Space." 

The  opening titles were inspired by the final segment of Stanley Kubrick's sci-fi classic "2001: A Space Odyssey." Harry Marks, ABC's head of On-Air Advertising, hired Douglas Trumbull of "2001" to design the special graphics for the network's package of 90-minute made-for-television movies.

ABC's "The Movie of the Week" aired from 1969 to 1976

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, jakeem said:

This opening sequence had three things going for it.

The theme was an orchestral version of Burt Bacharach's song "Nikki."

The announcer was Dick Tufeld, who was the voice of The Robot on TV's "Lost in Space." 

The  opening titles were inspired by the final segment of Stanley Kubrick's sci-fi classic "2001: A Space Odyssey." Harry Marks, ABC's head of On-Air Advertising, hired Douglas Trumbull of "2001" to design the special graphics for the network's package of 90-minute made-for-television movies.

ABC's "The Movie of the Week aired from 1969 to 1976

William Windom seen in the context of a ghost town theme telefilm reminded me of arguably the quintessential movie made-for-television of the 1970s - speed trap tension shifts to disaster mode:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071392/

th?id=OIP.0-snmgHdwXkQ6zXE5B9ExQAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300                                                              th?id=OIP.lkURX4p9RN3WDeX3ShiRvAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300                           

35 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Not a series, but continuing on the sports theme.  My partner and I went to London for Wimbledon one year in the early 2000s, and as he was watching the BBC coverage one afternoon, he asked "What happened to the "Wimbledon music?"  He's a big tennis fan.  I said "What Wimbledon music?" and he hummed a few bars of the song below.  I laughed and said that was NBC's Wimbledon music.  Wimbledon itself doesn't have a theme song and the BBC uses different music altogether. (Same goes for the Olympics themes we hear).

Yanni's 1986 song "Santorini" memorably was used for CBS Sports' coverage of the U.S. Open tennis tournaments in the late 80s and early 90s.

7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Dang, this thread is HOT. 

ps- You are all still Philistines, because nothing tops the theme song from THE JEFFERSONS. 

What about audience participation theme songs?  Everyone in my neighborhood snapped along with this...

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Re: "My partner and I went to London for Wimbledon one year in the early 2000s...(Same goes for the Olympics themes we hear)."

As England is so rich in modern music, London's opening and closing ceremonies for the 2012 Summer Olympics were heavily framed by music - more so than I can remember with other Olympics' pageantry -  including sampling from Mike Oldfield himself:    

The great Richard Rodgers -- our first EGOT winner -- composed the theme song for "The Great Adventure," a short-lived CBS anthology series that aired during the 1963-1964 season. The episodes -- featuring stories about such historical figures as Nathan Hale, John Brown and Harriet Tubman -- were narrated by Van Heflin and Russell Johnson (before he became The Professor of "Gilligan's Island").

4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

The discussion of The Rockford Files music in the other thread made me wonder, since its now of a bygone era, what the best musical themes were for TV shows.  I will post my top 25 in the thread in another post, but this should be fun. :)

Wild Wild West.. .

... . And Looney Tunes,.

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

What about audience participation theme songs?  Everyone in my neighborhood snapped along with this...

It is ookie. It is spooky. It is iconic. 

I STILL say THE JEFFERSONS THEME is #1 tho. 

Usually when it comes to best of, favorites ,or top 10-100 listS, I’m pretty tolerant of other opinions. But in this case no one is changing my mind.

it’s MOVING ON UP (TO THE EAST SIDE) or NOTHING. 
ps- Unless I am remembering incorrectly it was written by J’Anet Dubois of GOOD TIMES. (Aka Willona)

10 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Re: "That's probably what the Partridge Family tracks sounded like before they overdubbed it with David Cassidy's and Shirley Jones's vocals."

Was coincidentally and honestly about to post...

Ken Kesey and the dream of the Merry Pranksters gets thoroughly sanitized by co-opting of the Cowsills:     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1