Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Re: "I saw Tommy Tedesco a few times when he would play at jazz clubs in Hollywood."

It seems pointless to respond to you with the following, jamesjazzguitar, but just on the off chance you've yet to discover - Tommy Tedesco's son, Denny, put this together:       

• Like 5
1 hour ago, NoShear said:

It seems pointless to respond to you with the following, jamesjazzguitar, but just on the off chance you've yet to discover - Tommy Tedesco's son, Denny, put this together:       

Oh yeah, NS! One of the best documentaries I've watched in years.

(...caught it on PBS a few years ago)

• Like 1
On 6/19/2021 at 3:47 PM, Dargo said:

Re: "Ah yes! And in the background behind Lloyd here, the cliffs of beautiful Palos Verdes, California.

(...I remember them well, and along with the now long gone Marineland of the Pacific which sat on those cliffs nearby, and which sponsored this TV series)"

With discussion of the South Bay within the context of television themes songs... 

The cast 'n' crew of The Mod Squad appear to have spent some productive time near the border of Santa Monica and Venice.

The second episode of the 1st season included Pacific Ocean Park and the debut referenced the CHEETAH club:

#peggy lipton from That's some bad hat Harry

• Like 2
Just now, NoShear said:

Re: "The second episode of the 1st season included Pacific Ocean Park..."

With mention of Pacific Ocean Park within the context of television and Father's Day...

Pacific Ocean Park offered a natural thematic image for The TWILIGHT ZONE episode entitled "IN PRAISE OF PIP". (Watch the episode.)

Jack Marshall composed the music for The Munsters. Jack was a jazz guitarist, composer and arranger. He had a younger cousin who came to him for advice on taking up guitar. Jack suggested he begin by studying classical. His cousin was Christopher Parkening, who would become what many consider America's most gifted classical guitarist. 

This is the second season version of the theme, which features a surfy-sounding electric guitar part. I can't confirm who played it. Maybe Jack. Maybe Tommy Tedesco. Maybe Howard Roberts. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Re: "I didn't know Tommy worked on Mannix but I'm not at all surprised."

I should've qualified the mention by stating that I don't know if Tommy Tedesco specifically played on the MANNIX theme song, LuckyDan, but he definitely is credited as sessioning on the MANNIX soundtrack which I correctly guessed for myself - he apparently was a longtime studio axeman for Lalo Schifrin.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Re: "This is the second season version of the theme, which features a surfy-sounding electric guitar part. I can't confirm who played it. Maybe Jack. Maybe Tommy Tedesco. Maybe Howard Roberts."

It can be frustrating from an information perspective when trying to pin down session musicians since, obviously, they often worked in(sulting) anonymity.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NoShear said:

It can be frustrating from an information perspective when trying to pin down session musicians since, obviously, they often worked in(sulting) anonymity.

They were hired labor but they made a pretty good living. The ones who got enough calls, anyway. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, NoShear said:
  On 6/19/2021 at 9:41 PM, LuckyDan said:

Re: "I watch tv with my guitar in my lap...well-executed by the musicians who played on the recording."

score_0.png@850x1100?no-cache=1531731452

Tommy Tedesco

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Tedesco

This is a TV themes MIDI database, just downloaded Mannix.

http://www.garyrog.50megs.com/themes.html

This is how it partially appears on my Midisoft Session player / composer. Plays best on my Packard Bell Legend Windows 98SE platform with Soundblaster AWE32 soundcard.

Mannix-mid.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NoShear said:

With mention of Pacific Ocean Park within the context of television and Father's Day...

Pacific Ocean Park offered a natural thematic image for The TWILIGHT ZONE episode entitled "IN PRAISE OF PIP". (Watch the episode.)

And, Nip's David Janssen/The Fugitive thread today has in this regard also reminded me that the climactic scene in that series' final episode "The Judgment: Part 2" and where the one-armed man finally gets his just deserts, was also filmed at P.O.P. and as you might know, NS.

(...and even through as I recall, that amusement park was supposed to actually be located in Indiana, Dr. Richard Kimble's home state)

9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

This is a TV themes MIDI database, just downloaded Mannix.

http://www.garyrog.50megs.com/themes.html

This is how it partially appears on my Midisoft Session player / composer. Plays best on my Packard Bell Legend Windows 98SE platform with Soundblaster AWE32 soundcard.

Mannix-mid.png

That's the 3/4 notation. Same as 6/8 but with beat values doubled. I always hear the first note as an upbeat, but I've never seen it written as such. 

43 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Re: "They were hired labor but they made a pretty good living. The ones who got enough calls, anyway."

Even with a television appearance they couldn't catch a credit:     

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "And, Nip's David Janssen/The Fugitive thread today has in this regard also reminded me that the climactic scene in that series' final episode "The Judgment: Part 2" and where the one-armed man finally gets his just deserts, was also filmed at P.O.P. and as you might know, NS."

No, Dargo, you got me there: I thought the One-Armed Man was brought to his conclusion at the Los Angeles Zoo!

10 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Even with a television appearance they couldn't catch a credit:     

I didn't know it but I just learned that the guitarist in that Space 1999 scene might be thought of as the British Tommy Tedesco, who was known as Big Jim Sullivan, a studio session ace who usually got the first call in the 60s. (There was a "Little Jim," too, who got most of the rock and pop calls. His name was Jimmy Page.)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NoShear said:

No, Dargo, you got me there: I thought the One-Armed Man was brought to his conclusion at the Los Angeles Zoo!

Nope, this ride's central tower which was as I recall the tallest structure at P.O.P...

2.jpg&ehk=m8Wr%2BBfcbN%2BVsOlvh5FGQabDMe

...was where the final showdown between Kimble and the One-Armed Man was filmed...

thefugitive-thumb-450x337-84397.jpg

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Nope, this ride's central tower which was as I recall the tallest structure at P.O.P...

2.jpg&ehk=m8Wr%2BBfcbN%2BVsOlvh5FGQabDMe

...was where the final showdown between Kimble and the One-Armed Man was filmed...

thefugitive-thumb-450x337-84397.jpg

How appropriate that your favorite show concluded in your proverbial backyard!!

🛸 Obviously not the version played on the show but I fancy it. Didn’t know until I came across this that the song was originally performed by The Eagles. 🦅 

Others I like but it is late. 🕰

40 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Re: "I didn't know it but I just learned that the guitarist in that Space 1999 scene might be thought of as the British Tommy Tedesco, who was known as Big Jim Sullivan, a studio session ace who usually got the first call in the 60s."

Interestingly, Big Jim Sullivan is said to have tutored Ritchie Blackmore who would go on to session for the British Phil Spector, Joe Meek, before eventually finding fame with Deep Purple.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, cinemaman said:

The  CSI  franchise  used  three  hits  of   the   rock  group  The  Who  for their  theme  songs.  CSI  used  the  song    Who  Are  You    for its  theme song.  CSI  Miami  used the  song  Won't  Get  Fooled  Again  for its  theme  song.  CSI  NY  selected  the  song   Baba  O'Riley    for its  theme  song.

Four. "CSI: Cyber," which starred Academy Award winner Patricia Arquette and Ted Danson, aired on CBS for two seasons --from  March 4, 2015 to March 13, 2016. It used this song by The Who:

I liked the musical openings for two "umbrella" productions that featured different series. The Masterpiece Theatre theme was from the  French composer Jean-Joseph Moreau's "Fanfare-Rondeau" from "Suite of Symphonies for brass, strings and timpani No. 1."

The opening below always reminded me of Lady Marjorie Bellamy (Rachel Gurney) of the "Upstairs, Downstairs" series (she's on the front row of the first framed photo you see). In 1912, she decided to depart London and visit her married daughter in New York City. Unfortunately, she booked passage on the maiden voyage of the RMS Titanic -- and perished.

I also liked Henry Mancini's theme for the NBC Sunday Mystery Movie. It also was used for the network's Wednesday Mystery Movie.

When I was younger, I always thought the guy with the flashlight was a movie usher.

Too many to name:

Petticoat Junction

Green Acres

Courtship of Eddie's Father

Ching Ching from Law & Order and theme from Mission Impossible

Huntley Brinkley Report

Jeopardy final music

Dick Van Dyke Show

Mary Tyler Moore

Flintstones & Jetsons

G. Island

Happy Days (though it used a classic R&R song)

CSI used the Who Songs

Carol Burnett Show

Beverly Hillbillies

• Like 2