Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which Alfred Hitchcock film would you show to a newbie?


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

I still haven't seen this one but have been wanting to for years.  Seems I run across so many of his films on TCM, but never this one.

The story of tcm  every Hitchcock film except Rebecca.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rebecca is a great film to be sure, BUT I can not believe that there would be that many Millennials who would go gaga over any movie that's as ladened with the amount of dialogue in it as it has, and to say nothing about the little amount of action scenes in it.

C'mon now, YOU know how these kids are today, don't YA?! Too much talk and not enough action is pretty much anathema to 'em.

(...and thus the reason I say start the youngins out watching something by Hitch with some action in it...yep, NBNW would be the one I'd choose to sit their little uninitiated butts in front of first!)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Rebecca is a great film to be sure, BUT I can not believe that there would be that many Millennials who would go gaga over any movie that's as ladened with the amount of dialogue in it as it has, and to say nothing about the little amount of action scenes in it.

C'mon now, YOU know how these kids are today, don't YA?! Too much talk and not enough action is pretty much anathema to 'em.

(...and thus the reason I say start the youngins out watching something by Hitch with some action in it...yep, NBNW would be the one I'd choose to sit their little uninitiated butts in front of first!)

NBNW is a sound choice but I would still select The Birds.      NBNW's plot could be too complex for some and The Birds' plot is so simple anyone can follow it.   In fact one could say The Birds really has no plot (other than Birds get angry), and after that first gull attack,  most of the followings scenes are action scenes of various ways the birds get angry.

In NBNW the mistaken identity alone could fool people;   E.g.  which guy is the real George Kaplan????    (uh,  wake up kid,,,, there is no   George Kaplan!!!).

The Birds has no macguffins: (well unless one views the entire concept of birds-gone-wild as a macguffin).    NBNW has macguffin all over it.   

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My top five favourite Hitchcock films, in no particular order, are: The Wrong Man, I Confess, Shadow of a Doubt, Lifeboat and Frenzy. I don't think you can go too far wrong by showing any of those to someone who is new to Hitchcock / classic movies. There's nothing inherently wrong with North by Northwest, Rear Window, Foreign Correspondent, The Lady Vanishes and most other genuine classics Hitchcock directed, but I guess I just didn't respond those ones quite as much. As for Vertigo and Psycho, I've seen both films repeatedly and have never understood what the fuss is about.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

 

The Birds has no macguffins

Actually, The Birds has PLENTY of "MacGuffins" in it, James. Uh-huh! There's a whole flock of 'em in that flick!

Yep, if ya look real close you can spot both the Yellow-Bellied MacGuffin AND the Crested Blue-Throated MacGuffin peckin' at people throughout this movie! Well, starting at about halfway through it, anyway.

(...evidently you're not into Ornithology at all, huh)  ;)

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

NBNW is a sound choice but I would still select The Birds.      NBNW's plot could be too complex for some and The Birds' plot is so simple anyone can follow it.   In fact one could say The Birds really has no plot (other than Birds get angry), and after that first gull attack,  most of the followings scenes are action scenes of various ways the birds get angry.

In NBNW the mistaken identity alone could fool people;   E.g.  which guy is the real George Kaplan????    (uh,  wake up kid,,,, there is no   George Kaplan!!!).

The Birds has no macguffins: (well unless one views the entire concept of birds-gone-wild as a macguffin).    NBNW has macguffin all over it.   

 

 

 

Btw (and after my latest attempt of humor here..."attempt" being the operative word here of course), not a bad point up here I guess, but still I say the youngins out there would be more likely to get into NBNW a little more and a lot quicker, and basically because it takes a hell of a long time for The Birds to kick into action than it does NBNW.

(...and like I said earlier, those kids out there just GOTTA have "action" in their movies now days, or else their little minds start wanderin', ya know)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

My top five favourite Hitchcock films, in no particular order, are: The Wrong Man, I Confess, Shadow of a Doubt, Lifeboat and Frenzy. I don't think you can go too far wrong by showing any of those to someone who is new to Hitchcock / classic movies. There's nothing inherently wrong with North by Northwest, Rear Window, Foreign Correspondent, The Lady Vanishes and most other genuine classics Hitchcock directed, but I guess I just didn't respond those ones quite as much. As for Vertigo and Psycho, I've seen both films repeatedly and have never understood what the fuss is about.

I also enjoy I CONFESS, but I think that's because I'm a Catholic and Hitchcock was a Catholic. I feel like he captures the grief and the ambiguity of the situation perfectly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dargo said:

Btw (and after my latest attempt of humor here..."attempt" being the operative word here of course), not a bad point up here I guess, but still I say the youngins out there would be more likely to get into NBNW a little more and a lot quicker, and basically because it takes a hell of a long time for The Birds to kick into action than it does NBNW.

(...and like I said earlier, those kids out there just GOTTA have "action" in their movies now days, or else their little minds start wanderin', ya know)

As much as I love NBNW and even though I've strived (striven?...tried!) to be all things Cary Grant in my life, I've got to go with James on this one Dargo.

In a society that's reared them to believe there are no winners or losers, failure is only a state of mind, and it's okay to be a sixth year high school senior, I can't see more than one youngster out of...oh say fifty being able to comprehend the plot of North beyond the drunken stupor driving scene which would be both totally ****in' and disappointing since it only happens once. I mean c'mon, these are the same ones who puzzle over the storyline in last Sunday's Garfield.

I can see them getting into the Birds however with it's scene of Dan propped against the wall, eyes pecked out. Tell me you can't hear their high pitched squeal of delight!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to write an angry letter to the editor complaining about traffic lights and then go yell at kids on bikes to stay off my lawn.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to write an angry letter to the editor complaining about traffic lights and then go yell at kids on bikes to stay off my lawn.

Don't forget to mention the potholes on Ward Parkway.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Don't forget to mention the potholes on Ward Parkway.

Absolutely! Plus mumble incoherently about prices while squinting at cans of creamed corn at Walmart.

It's going to be a full day!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to agree with those who think The Birds would probably appeal to younger viewers - if they have the patience to sit through the first part. Hitchcock builds his film slowly and all that early stuff involving the pet store and Tippi taking some love birds out to Rod, well, I'm not certain that many younger viewers wouldn't start yawning during that lengthy sequence and looking elsewhere for their entertainment. After all, Big Brother might be playing on another channel.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Birds has no macguffins: (well unless one views the entire concept of birds-gone-wild as a macguffin).    NBNW has macguffin all over it.   

The Birds has one big macguffin the first half hour--I was watching one first-time YouTube reactor, who was spending the first twenty minutes saying, "Wait, so is this like, a romance, and we're following Tippi Hendren romantically stalking Rod Taylor?"

Fortunately, he'd already seen Psycho, and knew that that movie wasn't really about Janet Leigh on the run with stolen money.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

But, of course, it'll just be Rebecca and NBNW, because TCM doesn't own any of the Universal glory-days, as they're all streaming over on NBC Peacock.

(checks)

...Oops, wait, sorry, they're not:  Peacock dumped the Hitchcocks, Monsters and Marx Bros., to make room for the Harry Potter movies and the Punky Brewster revival.

Link to post
Share on other sites

bought this vinyl earlier in the year.  pretty good chill music actually with some funny narration by ol' Al who takes the title a little too seriously.

41jFw0i2eGL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

bought this vinyl earlier in the year.  pretty good chill music actually with some funny narration by ol' Al who takes the title a little too seriously.

And who didn't grow up with an LP of children's "Ghost stories" (of which only the first one was scary) every Halloween?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...