Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which Alfred Hitchcock film would you show to a newbie?

54 minutes ago, EricJ said:

And who didn't grow up with an LP of children's "Ghost stories" (of which only the first one was scary) every Halloween?

I haven't seen this one before! Will need to try to find this one now.

8 hours ago, Citizen Ed said:

Absolutely! Plus mumble incoherently about prices while squinting at cans of creamed corn at Walmart.

It's going to be a full day!

The line about the potholes on Ward Parkway is from MR. AND MRS. BRIDGE (1990). 

The Bridges return from a trip to Paris and all Mrs. Bridge (Joanne Woodward) can think of is if the mayor had the potholes smoothed over on Kansas City's most important thoroughfare. 

• Haha 1

I  usually prefer black & white movies, but my favorite Hitchcock film is in color:

1.  Rear Window

2.   Strangers on a Train

3.  North by Northwest

4.  Vertigo

5.  Psycho

6.  Rebecca

7.  Spellbound

8.  Shadow of a Doubt  (Hitchcock's favorite)

9.  Notorious  (Pat Hitchcock's favorite)

10. Frenzy 

OK, so "little help!" please.......

I've been able to spot all of Hitchcock's "cameos"   except in THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY.  So, where the hell DOES he show up in that one?  :huh:

Sepiatone

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

OK, so "little help!" please.......

I've been able to spot all of Hitchcock's "cameos"   except in THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY.  So, where the hell DOES he show up in that one?  :huh:

Sepiatone

About 20 minutes in, Hitch walks past the parked limo that pulled up to the roadside art display.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I were to show someone a Hitchcock movie who'd never seen one it would either be THE 39 STEPS (1935) or THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1934).  Just depends on what kind of mood I was in that day.   

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

When it comes to the kiddies, I'd probably start with REBECCA, it has a gothic atmosphere to it that might hook them in.

PSYCHO was what introduced me to Hitchcock, so when it comes to more mature viewers, that might be the one to start with. Also TO CATCH A THIEF and VERTIGO have a certain something that keeps me watching every time I see them. 

For those who just want to be utterly terrified I'd go with THE BIRDS.

Vertigo is my personal favorite, but I'm hesitant to use it as an introductory film. The confusing plot twists and jarring emotional impact are probably too much for a first-time-ever Hitchcock viewer. I'd probably go with something more blandly generic, probably with Cary Grant, North by Northwest or To Catch a Thief. Or, you know, you probably couldn't go wrong with Shadow of a Doubt or The Birds or Saboteur or the Stewart-Day The Man Who Knew too Much.  Or Rear Window!There are many great choices.