Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Settled. David Janssen is The Fugitive

NipkowDisc

I get tired whenever I see that 1993 money-grubbing action adventure film showing on cable. it is insulting to compare it to the QM TV series.

so anyone who thinks like that can shove their Han into their Solos.

only one man deserves to be recognized as the tragic, noble and heroic Dr. Richard Kimble.

David Janssen, "The Fugitive" circa 1963 ABC File Reference # 32337 255THA  Stock Photo - Alamy

terrific music gets riveting torwards the end.

:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great actor, who died too young.  While I don't mind the Harrison Ford/Tommy Lee Jones version, I agree with you.  At the time it ended, I think it had one of the highest ratings.  Harry O was another great series; Janssen also narrated Centennial mini-series (good at the beginning, but wasn't great at the end).

The original "The Fugitive" was a TV series by which the movie came later.  Both are based on a real life person Sam Sheppard whom doesn't come close to resembling EITHER Janssen or Ford

LGiTHZ0saQTDKhUhmt6dOn7NfXuVr_p_fTwHJmtR

Sam-Sheppard-Guilty.jpg

He was exonerated in 1966, having been convicted of the 1954 murder of his wife, Marilyn Reese Sheppard.  Like today, he was tried by the media.

preview.jpg

preview.jpg

50 minutes ago, hamradio said:

The original "The Fugitive" was a TV series by which the movie came later.  Both are based on a real life person Sam Sheppard whom doesn't come close to resembling EITHER Janssen or Ford

OK, so if you were to produce the '60's TV show, based on Sheppard's story, and was to cast someone who resembled him, who would you have picked.

ROBERT DUVALL...  or....

RICHARD JAECKEL?   or.....

Sepiatone (no, not me.  Just signing off.  ;) )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

OK, so if you were to produce the '60's TV show, based on Sheppard's story, and was to cast someone who resembled him, who would you have picked.

ROBERT DUVALL...  or....

Lol I was thinking Robert Duvall, that photo does share a resemblance to him when he was young.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT520vsRc4-rxGpKf2r072

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Great actor, who died too young.  While I don't mind the Harrison Ford/Tommy Lee Jones version, I agree with you.  At the time it ended, I think it had one of the highest ratings.  Harry O was another great series; Janssen also narrated Centennial mini-series (good at the beginning, but wasn't great at the end).

The final episode was the most watched TV episode up until that time.  Don't know where it ranks now.

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

I liked Harry O.

I liked Harry O as well and wish it would show up on TV or one of the streaming services to which I have access.  Incidentally,  Farrah Fawcett played one of his neighbors.  I remember learning that you can't be tailed by someone in a car if you take a city bus.  Car can't stop every time a bus does.   The trivia that crowds my mind.

• Like 1

Richard Kimble, the man of a thousand discarded gym bags. I think the film is very good. Plus it's

silly to compare a movie to a TV show that ran for four seasons. They're just different animals.

I first heard of Sam Sheppard back in 1966 during his exoneration. My mom listened to the radio

while she made dinner and Sheppard was big news then. He died a few years later. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I get tired whenever I see that 1993 money-grubbing action adventure film showing on cable. it is insulting to compare it to the QM TV series.

so anyone who thinks like that can shove their Han into their Solos.

only one man deserves to be recognized as the tragic, noble and heroic Dr. Richard Kimble.

David Janssen, "The Fugitive" circa 1963 ABC File Reference # 32337 255THA  Stock Photo - Alamy

terrific music gets riveting torwards the end.

:)

Flip Yes,.

👏🥂🍻👊👏👏👏👏

One CanNOT goWrong With Janssen...

.. ...HUGE Fan of His Performance Style ..

🎨👊🌈🥂🍻

During the time The Fugitive TV series was first run, I was ages 11-15 and my bedtime during the school year was 10pm, EXCEPT on Tuesdays nights when my parents allowed me to stay up until 11pm to watch each episode as it unfolded.

I remember studying David Janssen's mannerisms, and for many years even affected that signature quick one-sided little grin of his because I thought the guy was cool as hell.

(...however, I can't completely agree with Nip the OP's assessment of the Harrison Ford movie, as I think it was a great condensed movie-length version of the story that easily deserves its 7.8 IMDb and 96% Rotten Tomatoes ratings)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

ROBERT DUVALL...  or....

You might remember Sepia that there was a 1975 TV-movie made of the Sam Sheppard case which starred George Peppard in the titular role.

(...I vaguely remember watching it)

• Like 1

I don't recall that and at the time I probably passed on watching it due to George Peppard being in it.  For some reason, Peppard affects me the way George Raft affects you.   Which means, Dearborn, MI native  notwithstanding, I never saw an episode of either BANACEK or THE A TEAM.  ;) 

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

During the time The Fugitive TV series was first run, I was ages 11-15 and my bedtime during the school year was 10pm, EXCEPT on Tuesdays nights when my parents allowed me to stay up until 11pm to watch each episode as it unfolded.

I remember studying David Janssen's mannerisms, and for many years even affected that signature quick one-sided little grin of his because I thought the guy was cool as hell.

(...however, I can't completely agree with Nip the OP's assessment of the Harrison Ford movie, as I think it was a great condensed movie-length version of the story that easily deserves its 7.8 IMDb and 96% Rotten Tomatoes ratings)

I recall you stating you were born in 1950, which should have made you 13 when the show debuted.  I was 12( as I was born in '51)  and I don't recall the EST time slot, but it was early enough for me to be allowed to watch(I too had parents with strict bedtime rules). 

Sepiatone

13 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't recall that and at the time I probably passed on watching it due to George Peppard being in it.  For some reason, Peppard affects me the way George Raft affects you.   Which means, Dearborn, MI native  notwithstanding, I never saw an episode of either BANACEK or THE A TEAM.  ;) 

Yep, have to agree with ya here, Sepia. There was always something about Peppard that was in a way a bit off-putting, wasnt't there. 

(...although maybe less so than how Tom feels about a certain British actor "who shall remain nameless" here if our Canadian buddy might happen upon this thread)  ;)

15 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I recall you stating you were born in 1950, which should have made you 13 when the show debuted.  I was 12( as I was born in '51)  and I don't recall the EST time slot, but it was early enough for me to be allowed to watch(I too had parents with strict bedtime rules). 

Sepiatone

Wikipedia has articles with the nominal network schedules, going back to the dawn of network TV.   Schedules were more stable back in the 50s and 60s.  The articles have a more difficult time with schedules in the 70s and later, as networks grew impatient with poor performing series, and quick cancellations and replacements became more common.

In 63-64, it was on at 10 ET on Tuesdays.  I spot checked the subsequent years.  It appears it remained in this time slot for its entire run.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963–64_United_States_network_television_schedule

22 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

No, I was born in March of 1952, Sepia. And, with this series premiering in Sept of 1963, thus making me 11 y/o at the time.

(...don't know how you got the idea that I was older than you, as I've always known that you were WAY older than I am, ol' boy...well okay, a whole year older. anyway)  ;)

LOL

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Wikipedia has articles with the nominal network schedules, going back to the dawn of network TV.   Schedules were more stable back in the 50s and 60s.  The articles have a more difficult time with schedules in the 70s and later, as networks grew impatient with poor performing series, and quick cancellations and replacements became more common.

In 63-64, it was on at 10 ET on Tuesdays.  I spot checked the subsequent years.  It appears it remained in this time slot for its entire run.

But I do recall being alowed to stay up and watch the show.  But, as we're talking  nearly 60 years ago, I might have been recalling my seeing them in summer reruns.  ;) 

DARG:  It might have been the pics of you that you've posted showing a shock white mane and beard.  So far, my month from 70 visage would display still dark brown(but much thinner) hair, but the beard is white sho' 'nuff.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Yep, when the 'The Fugitive' series was first run, it was always scheduled Tuesday nights on the ABC television network at 10pm, 9pm Central, as they used to say.

(...and I watched it in the sunny climes of Los ANGLE-less, ahem, I mean Los Angeles California on KABC channel-7 during that time...well okay, with the time of 10pm being hours after the sun had set on the City of Angels, anyway) ;)

2 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

But I do recall being alowed to stay up and watch the show.  But, as we're talking  nearly 60 years ago, I might have been recalling my seeing them in summer reruns.  ;) 

DARG:  It might have been the pics of you that you've posted showing a shock white mane and beard.  So far, my month from 70 visage would display still dark brown(but much thinner) hair, but the beard is white sho' 'nuff.  ;) 

Sepiatone

LOL

Yeah, but I'M still fairly good lookin' AND in pretty damn good shape for an old guy, wouldn't ya SAY?!!!  ;)

LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

Better than I AM presently, anyway.

Sepiatone

Well, in your defense, I do understand that those Michigan winters of yours back there can often reek havoc on a guy's appearance!  ;)

LOL

13 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Local stations always have had the freedom (in most cases) to shift programming to a different day or time, especially after videotape became feasible for local stations to own.   

That's why they used to say, often, "Check your local listings..."

So, it's possible your local affiliate aired it at a different time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings