Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Celebrating the 100th Birthday of Judy Holliday

Today, my Mom's friend, Judy Holliday would have been 100 years young (and my Mom of blessed memory, 98).  I've been watching clips of her all morning and posting them to my Facebook account.

If you have never seen a Judy Holliday movie, I recommend you start with Adam's Rib and progress to her Academy-Award-Winning performance in Born Yesterday.  She died way too young from breast cancer (didn't know if mammograms were used them).  Unfortunately, her son, Jonathan, passed away within the past year.

My favorite movie of hers is The Solid Gold Cadillac because it reunites her with Paul Douglas, who played the B. Crawford role in the movie.

Comments, favorite films, etc.?

• Like 3

On 6/21/2021 at 9:57 AM, chaya bat woof woof said:

My favorite movie of hers is The Solid Gold Cadillac because it reunites her with Paul Douglas, who played the B. Crawford role in the movie.

Do you mean that Paul Douglas starred with Judy Holliday in the Broadway play Born Yesterday?  I know that Broderick Crawford starred in the movie version.

Born Yesterday is my favorite Judy Holliday movie.  And to think she beat out Gloria Swanson in Sunset Blvd. and Bette Davis in All About Eve for the Oscar that year!

• Like 2

Yes , Paul Douglas was in the stage version.  Originally, Jean Arthur was cast in the role of Billie Dawn.  Now, there are a number of rumors surrounding why she bowed out:

1) Paul Douglas got great reviews while she didn't

2) She was too old for the role

3) She wasn't well (and, if you see her in Shane, that is believable)

4) Judy Holliday stepped in and, when it came to the film, Tracy and Hepburn championed for her to reprise her role (the powers that be considered her a fat Jewish broad).

I would love to see Full of Life (I think she also made a movie with Aldo Ray (The Marrying Kind).

Richard Conte should be a TCM Summer Under the Stars Candidate - so many great movies, including the original Oceans Eleven.  He is the character who brings the gang together and, other than Sammy Davis Jr., he is my favorite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I would love to see Full of Life (I think she also made a movie with Aldo Ray (The Marrying Kind).

Richard Conte should be a TCM Summer Under the Stars Candidate - so many great movies, including the original Oceans Eleven.  He is the character who brings the gang together and, other than Sammy Davis Jr., he is my favorite.

TCM aired FULL OF LIFE back in 2011.

I didn't record it because I thought "oh it will air again." But so far it hasn't...

Born Yesterday and It Should Happen to You are both movies I've seen often and always enjoy. Haven't seen Full of Life but I'll keep an eye out for that.  Bells are Ringing was on TCM not long ago, I recorded it and was looking forward to seeing it. As Meat loaf says, Two out of three ain't bad. 

57 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Born Yesterday and It Should Happen to You are both movies I've seen often and always enjoy. Haven't seen Full of Life but I'll keep an eye out for that.  Bells are Ringing was on TCM not long ago, I recorded it and was looking forward to seeing it. As Meat loaf says, Two out of three ain't bad. 

The main conflict in FULL OF LIFE isn't so much that they are an interfaith couple, but it's what religion the baby will be raised.

Conte's Italian Catholic parents (marvelously played by Esther Minciotti and Salvatore Baccaloni) want the baby to be Catholic and are pushing for it be baptized after Judy gives birth. Judy does agree to let the baby become baptized as a Catholic, but this is part of a series of compromises that she and Conte have to make in order for everyone to be happy.

I think this film isn't very well known because it's more of a straight drama and Judy Holliday is regarded for her comic roles. But she's very good in FULL OF LIFE, and so is Conte.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Yes , Paul Douglas was in the stage version.  Originally, Jean Arthur was cast in the role of Billie Dawn.  Now, there are a number of rumors surrounding why she bowed out:

1) Paul Douglas got great reviews while she didn't

2) She was too old for the role

3) She wasn't well (and, if you see her in Shane, that is believable)

4) Judy Holliday stepped in and, when it came to the film, Tracy and Hepburn championed for her to reprise her role (the powers that be considered her a fat Jewish broad).

Another reason:  Jean Arthur asked the play's writer-director Garson Kanin to change the story-line so that her character, Billie Dawn, would not be "living in sin" with Harry Brock.  She thought it would be detrimental to her reputation as an actress.  When he refused, she dropped out of the play, handing the role over to her understudy Judy Holliday. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings