Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Complete* TCM 2021 Summer Under the Stars Line-Up


Recommended Posts

Right now on Twitter, TCM is in the process of revealing this year’s lineup based on people asking if their favorites are included. 

 

1 Bette Davis

2 Richard Burton

3 Kim Novak

4 Louis Armstrong

5 Margaret Rutherford

6 Robert Mitchum

7 Abbot & Costello

8 Esther Williams

9 Kay Francis

10 George Segal

11 Kathryn Grayson

12 Ramon Novarro

13 Jane Fonda

14 Gregory Peck

15 Judy Garland

16 Robert Young

17 Gloria Grahame

18 Robert Redford

19 Setsuko Hara

20 Van Heflin

21 Katharine Hepburn

22 Tyrone Power

23 Eve Arden

24 Maurice Chevalier

25 Jane Wyman

26 Tony Randall

27 Merle Oberon

28 Lee Marvin

29 Ingrid Bergman

30 James Cagney

31 Fredric March

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

The usual suspects so far. Glad Bette is included since she got replaced by Livvy last year. Glad Kay Francis is included too. Thanks, Speedy!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, glad about George Segal esp. as he didn't get a tribute. But Louie Armstrong? Wonder how many films he has been in? I guess enough to fill up a day (musical roles, I assume).

Glad about Ramon Navarro too.

I don't think I could take a whole day of Margaret Rutherford. A little goes a long way.......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yes, glad about George Segal esp. as he didn't get a tribute. But Louie Armstrong? Wonder how many films he has been in? I guess enough to fill up a day (musical roles, I assume).

Glad about Ramon Navarro too.

I don't think I could take a whole day of Margaret Rutherford. A little goes a long way.......

Louis Armstrong is in quite a few movie bios of musicians. The audience is assured that the guy was of top quality because Louis Armstrong shows up and gives his seal of approval. Louis usually plays himself, although he is the fictional Wild Man Moore in Paris Blues. I'm guessing Paris Blues and High Society will turn up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingrat said:

Louis Armstrong is in quite a few movie bios of musicians. The audience is assured that the guy was of top quality because Louis Armstrong shows up and gives his seal of approval. Louis usually plays himself, although he is the fictional Wild Man Moore in Paris Blues. I'm guessing Paris Blues and High Society will turn up.

Probably.  "Paris Blues" (an MGM-owned United Artists title) and "High Society" (a Time-Warner-owned pre-1987 MGM title) will very likely turn up.     TCM seems to air both of them at least once a year.       That's good news since they're both good movies.

I wouldn't be surprised if, for Louis Armstrong's Summer Under the Stars day, TCM includes "Hello Dolly" as well.     TCM has aired it from time to time over the years.    I'd be happy to see that one on this August's line-up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I like the idea of a whole day of Margaret Rutherford. Most of these are pretty expected names though. I just hope they can get Paramount to loan out no Way to Treat a Lady for George Segal's day....

 I think TCM probably will get Paramount to loan out "No Way to Treat A Lady" for George Segal's day.    TCM has aired that movie a number of times over the years since the late 1990s all the way up to  last year.         For several years even before George Segal's passing, I've thought about him as a SUTS honoree.     These are the other films that I've been hoping TCM would air for his SUTS day:   

- "Act One"

- "King Rat"

- "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf"

- "Ship of Fools"  [unless they reserve it for Lee Marvin's SUTS day]

- "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre"

- "Who Is Killing The Great Chefs of Europe?"

- "A Touch of Class"

- "Lost and Found"

- "Fun With Dick and Jane" (1977 - the original)

- "Carbon Copy"  (an underrated gem of a touching and wacky dramedy - Segal starring opposite Denzel Washington in his first major film role)

- "Look Who's Talking" (a glimpsing preview of Segal being as dynamic as an older character actor as he is as a younger lead, even though Segal's role in "Look Who's Talking" is downright unsympathetic.   Plus, TCM has already aired it once previously, so TCM could possibly access this title once again.) 

I like the idea of Margaret Rutherford having a whole day too.    She was someone I've been hoping would get a SUTS day one day.     Before TCM's Backlot was discontinued, I used to also fantasize about a Backlot voting choice between Gladys Cooper and Margaret Rutherford.    Still, in truth, I think that Gladys Cooper AND Margaret Rutherford both deserve to have a SUTS day dedicated to each of them.      "Blithe Spirit" is o.k., but Rutherford's "Miss Marple" movies are delightful.     Rutherford is terrific in "The V.I.P.s":   in this mostly serious and somber romantic ensemble drama, Rutherford provides some extremely welcomed sweetness and comedy to the mix. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see Setsuko Hara get recognition.  My favorite of hers is No Regrets for Our Youth (1946).

Will we see Barbarella?

The spelling is Ramon Novarro,  But it's easy to mistype.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Classic aficionado said:

I think TCM probably will get Paramount to loan out "No Way to Treat A Lady" for George Segal's day.    TCM has aired that movie a number of times over the years since the late 1990s all the way up to  last year.   

No Way to Treat a Lady (1968) was shown last year?  Can't imagine how I missed it.  MovieCollector's invaluable list says the last time it aired was back in 2012.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

No Way to Treat a Lady (1968) was shown last year?  Can't imagine how I missed it.  MovieCollector's invaluable list says the last time it aired was back in 2012.

Hmm, I stand corrected.      2012?    I thought it was last aired more recently than that.      Still, I was right about one thing.    TCM has aired it at least 7 or 8 times.  This film is certainly not one of TCM's  one-night-only films.         I still believe that there's a good chance that TCM will include it this August. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see Jane Fonda has a day this year.  I recently re-watched KLUTE. Wow! Her performance in that movie is one of the best ever captured on film. At one point she asked director Alan Pakula to let her out of her contract and get Faye Dunaway for the role instead because Fonda didn't think she could pull it it off. But, man, did she ever!  I also hope TCM airs BARBARELLA on her day.  I never get tired of that one. 

It's good see Robert Redford is being honored. I think this is the second time he's had a day.  If TCM is able to get BAREFOOT IN THE PARK, I wouldn't be surprised if it airs on both Fonda's and Redford's day.

I won't be surprised if WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF is shown on both Richard Burton's and George Segal's day.

Ramon Novarro is also a favorite.  I much prefer the silent BEN-HUR with Navarro to the later sound version.

  

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Classic aficionado said:

Hmm, I stand corrected.      2012?    I thought it was last aired more recently than that.      Still, I was right about one thing.    TCM has aired it at least 7 or 8 times.  This film is certainly not one of TCM's  one-night-only films.         I still believe that there's a good chance that TCM will include it this August. 

Here's hoping.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very happy to see this list finally posted, though I note with some irony TCM's shameless pandering to Twitter and utter disregard for these message boards.

I will be even more excited when programming lists are actually posted, and I can see what films are showing. I will particularly pounce on "out of library" films and highlight them in this thread.  If you're going to devote a full day to Tyrone Power, you are presumably going to have to air I would think at least five or six Fox films, although TCM may work with intensive, passionate intensity to reduce that number. I would think Marie Atointette, The Rising of the MoonThe Eddy Duchin Story  and Witness for the Prosecution are all 100 per cent absolutely guaranteed to air because every one of them means one fewer Fox film TCM has to commit to paying for. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Glad to see Setsuko Hara get recognition.  My favorite of hers is No Regrets for Our Youth (1946).

Will we see Barbarella?

The spelling is Ramon Novarro,  But it's easy to mistype.

Thanks I fixed it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kingrat said:

Louis Armstrong is in quite a few movie bios of musicians. The audience is assured that the guy was of top quality because Louis Armstrong shows up and gives his seal of approval. Louis usually plays himself, although he is the fictional Wild Man Moore in Paris Blues. I'm guessing Paris Blues and High Society will turn up.

Yes, for sure, those two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Classic aficionado said:

Probably.  "Paris Blues" (an MGM-owned United Artists title) and "High Society" (a Time-Warner-owned pre-1987 MGM title) will very likely turn up.     TCM seems to air both of them at least once a year.       That's good news since they're both good movies.

I wouldn't be surprised if, for Louis Armstrong's Summer Under the Stars day, TCM includes "Hello Dolly" as well.     TCM has aired it from time to time over the years.    I'd be happy to see that one on this August's line-up.

Hello, Dolly would be a surprise. I doubt it, but we'll see!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Glad to see Jane Fonda has a day this year.  I recently re-watched KLUTE. Wow! Her performance in that movie is one of the best ever captured on film. At one point she asked director Alan Pakula to let her out of her contract and get Faye Dunaway for the role instead because Fonda didn't think she could pull it it off. But, man, did she ever!  I also hope TCM airs BARBARELLA on her day.  I never get tired of that one. 

It's good see Robert Redford is being honored. I think this is the second time he's had a day.  If TCM is able to get BAREFOOT IN THE PARK, I wouldn't be surprised if it airs on both Fonda's and Redford's day.

I won't be surprised if WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF is shown on both Richard Burton's and George Segal's day.

Ramon Navarro is also a favorite.  I much prefer the silent BEN-HUR with Navarro to the later sound version.

  

 

 

 

I missed Richard Burton in the list! I'm glad he's being honored this year too. It's too bad Klute is always shown in the overnight hours due to the language/sex scenes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think K. Hepburn should be put on hiatus for at LEAST 5 years. How many times has she had a SUTS day? Seems like almost every year!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Louis Armstrong day is likely to feature High SocietyA Man Called AdamParis BluesCabin in the Sky and The Strip. Less likely to air (but they'll need something to fill out the rest of the day!) are Hello, Dolly! (Fox), The Glenn Miller Story (Universal), Here Comes the Groom and The Five Pennies (both Paramount, I think), though all these movies have aired on TCM before, I'm pretty sure. Don't know where else I would have seen them. In many of his movies, he's largely limited to onstage musical appearances. May not be too disimilar from Lena Horne day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think K. Hepburn should be put on hiatus for at LEAST 5 years. How many times has she had a SUTS day? Seems like almost every year!

Hibi, who is "Livvy"? Liv Ullman? I've already forgotten who was featured last  year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • speedracer5 changed the title to *Complete* TCM 2021 Summer Under the Stars Line-Up

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...