Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Complete* TCM 2021 Summer Under the Stars Line-Up

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I think K. Hepburn should be put on hiatus for at LEAST 5 years. How many times has she had a SUTS day? Seems like almost every year!

Hepburn has been featured nine times, tied with Cary Grant for the most ever. Basically every other year.

23 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Hibi, who is "Livvy"? Liv Ullman? I've already forgotten who was featured last  year.

Sorry, Olivia De Havilland. Since she had died, they preempted Bette's day for her. I WISH they'd choose Liv Ullmann! She's surely deserving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Hepburn has been featured nine times, tied with Cary Grant for the most ever. Basically every other year.

They BOTH should be put on hiatus then! :(

28 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Louis Armstrong day is likely to feature High SocietyA Man Called AdamParis BluesCabin in the Sky and The Strip. Less likely to air (but they'll need something to fill out the rest of the day!) are Hello, Dolly! (Fox), The Glenn Miller Story (Universal), Here Comes the Groom and The Five Pennies (both Paramount, I think), though all these movies have aired on TCM before, I'm pretty sure. Don't know where else I would have seen them. In many of his movies, he's largely limited to onstage musical appearances. May not be too disimilar from Lena Horne day.

Are there any jazz festival movies he's in?

15 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I hadn't considered documentaries, but I think he's in that Newport Jazz Festival one, maybe.

I thought I'd seen him in that, but wasn't sure. Might be others.

I had written a long paragraph speculating what films might constitute a George Segal day but leaving it for a few seconds to read the above post, I've returned to see my text has vanished. Very deflating. Anyway, there are many interesting choices, and I will be interested to see what they do.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Sorry, Olivia De Havilland. Since she had died, they preempted Bette's day for her. I WISH they'd choose Liv Ullmann! She's surely deserving.

I would imagine Autumn Sonata would be shown for Ingrid Bergman's day.

16 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Very happy to see this list finally posted, though I note with some irony TCM's shameless pandering to Twitter and utter disregard for these message boards.

I will be even more excited when programming lists are actually posted, and I can see what films are showing. I will particularly pounce on "out of library" films and highlight them in this thread.  If you're going to devote a full day to Tyrone Power, you are presumably going to have to air I would think at least five or six Fox films, although TCM may work with intensive, passionate intensity to reduce that number. I would think Marie Atointette, The Rising of the MoonThe Eddy Duchin Story  and Witness for the Prosecution are all 100 per cent absolutely guaranteed to air because every one of them means one fewer Fox film TCM has to commit to paying for. 

Another timeless Power film is Alexander’s Ragtime Band chocked full of great music, dance tunes, a slender lovely Ethel Merman and that deep luscious voice of Alice Faye

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Judith laucka said:

Another timeless Power film is Alexander’s Ragtime Band chocked full of great music, dance tunes, a slender lovely Ethel Merman and that deep luscious voice of Alice Faye

Yes, I am a huge fan of Alice Faye.

Hopefully they will air either ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND or IN OLD CHICAGO.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Hibi said:

TCM did choose Liv Ullmann once as part of their Summer Under The Stars.   It was two years ago - 2019.      She is someone whom I had hoped they would choose, for years. 

• Thanks 1

Eve Arden is a choice that I'm happy with.   She's one of a few people that I hoped would have a  SUTS day.       She was in so many movies - many of them real good movies - both within the Time-Warner library and beyond.   

Several movies of hers that TCM has aired that are outside of the Time-Warner library are "Cover Girl", "The Kid from Brooklyn", "Tea for Two", "Grease", and "Grease 2".

Does any of you suppose that TCM will re-air any of those five movies this August? 

5 minutes ago, Classic aficionado said:

Eve Arden is a choice that I'm happy with.   She's one of a few people that I hoped would have a  SUTS day.       She was in so many movies - many of them real good movies - both within the Time-Warner library and beyond.   

Several movies of hers that TCM has aired that are outside of the Time-Warner library are "Cover Girl", "The Kid from Brooklyn", "Tea for Two", "Grease", and "Grease 2".

Does any of you suppose that TCM will re-air any of those five movies this August? 

TEA FOR TWO seems likely because it actually is in the Turner Library...it's a Warner Brothers picture.

My guess is they will stick mostly with her WB output-- things like THE UNFAITHFUL and GOODBYE MY FANCY. And they will probably rent the feature film version of OUR MISS BROOKS from Columbia/Sony since that's her signature role.

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

TEA FOR TWO seems likely because it actually is in the Turner Library...it's a Warner Brothers picture.

My guess is they will stick mostly with her WB output-- things like THE UNFAITHFUL and GOODBYE MY FANCY. And they will probably rent the feature film version of OUR MISS BROOKS from Columbia/Sony since that's her signature role.

"The Unfaithful" is a great movie.   Eve Arden's character in that one is a complex character with plenty of shades and hues, a character who is ultimately sympathetic.  And it's a drama too!  "Goodbye My Fancy" is o.k..    Eve Arden is good in that one, but her character has little to do - perhaps less to do than in most of the other movies that I've seen her in.    That film is mostly Joan Crawford the diva, as a politician.    Make no mistake, I like that movie, but it isn't one of my favorites.   It simply isn't a movie that I'm very eager to rewatch. 

By the way, I saw the schedule just now.   "Tea For Two" is listed, and so are "The Unfaithful", and "Our Miss Brooks".    It's great that TCM will air "Our Miss Brooks" the film.   For now it'll sort of make up for our cable provider from removing the Decades channel from our lineup.

"Tea For Two" being part of the Turner Library?   That's interesting.    I thought that the Turner library included Warner Brothers films from either before 1950 or before 1948.     "Tea For Two" was from 1950.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Classic aficionado said:

"The Unfaithful" is a great movie.   Eve Arden's character in that one is a complex character with plenty of shades and hues, a character who is ultimately sympathetic.  And it's a drama too!  "Goodbye My Fancy" is o.k..    Eve Arden is good in that one, but her character has little to do - perhaps less to do than in most of the other movies that I've seen her in.    That film is mostly Joan Crawford the diva, as a politician.    Make no mistake, I like that movie, but it isn't one of my favorites.   It simply isn't a movie that I'm very eager to rewatch. 

By the way, I saw the schedule just now.   "Tea For Two" is listed, and so are "The Unfaithful", and "Our Miss Brooks".    It's great that TCM will air "Our Miss Brooks" the film.   For now it'll sort of make up for our cable provider from removing the Decades channel from our lineup.

"Tea For Two" being part of the Turner Library?   That's interesting.    I thought that the Turner library included Warner Brothers films from either before 1950 or before 1948.     "Tea For Two" was from 1950.

Glad they picked OUR MISS BROOKS. 

Many WB films post-1950 are in the Turner library-- THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS, EAST OF EDEN, MISTER ROBERTS, etc.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Glad they picked OUR MISS BROOKS. 

Many WB films post-1950 are in the Turner library-- THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS, EAST OF EDEN, MISTER ROBERTS, etc.

You mean that the Warner Bros. portion of the Turner library is no longer restricted to films up to 1948 or 1950?  

1 minute ago, Classic aficionado said:

You mean that the Warner Bros. portion of the Turner library is no longer restricted to films up to 1948 or 1950?  

I don't think so.

Now, I do know that Universal controls Paramount films from 1930-49 ish. And all of those are definitely outside the Turner library.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:
3 minutes ago, Classic aficionado said:

I don't think so.

Now, I do know that Universal controls Paramount films from 1930-49 ish. And all of those are definitely outside the Turner library.

Ok.  That's news to me if that's the case - regarding the Warner Bros. portion of the Turner library.

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

I thought I'd seen him in that, but wasn't sure. Might be others.

He's in Jazz on a Summer's Day (1959).  Also in New Orleans (1947), with Billie Holiday!  He was in a bunch of movies early on that also featured bunches of great musicians such as Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Bing Crosby, Dorothy Dandridge, Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Woody Herman, Ethel Waters, Lena Horne, Lionel Hampton,  and Danny Kaye; in movies like Pennies From Heaven (1936), Birth of the Blues (1941), Cabin in the Sky (1943),  and Jam Session (1944).

• Thanks 1

The limited schedule release so far has confirmed the blanks in speedracer5’s lineup, matching the order of the unassigned actors as they were originally listed:

4 - Louis Armstrong
10 - George Segal
11 - Kathryn Grayson
12 - Ramon Novarro
13 - Jane Fonda
24 - Maurice Chevalier
25 - Jane Wyman
26 - Tony Randall

Thanks again to speedracer5 for posting the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see Robert Mitchum, Tony Randall, Eve Arden, Gloria Grahame, Gregory Peck and Tyrone Power honored.

I like that George Segal is having a SUTS "In Memoriam" tribute. (This is similar to what happened with Olivia deHavilland last year.) I've been wanting to see more of George Segal's films, so this is a great way to honor him. Many of you may not know this but Segal reprised his Who's Afraid of Virigina Woolf? role on an episode of The Simpsons 42 years later.

Robert Young FINALLY got honored this year. It was long overdue.

• Like 2
  • speedracer5 changed the title to *Complete* TCM 2021 Summer Under the Stars Line-Up