Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Complete* TCM 2021 Summer Under the Stars Line-Up

Day Six is Robert Mitchum, pretty much a dream star for TCM. Not sure why they haven't gone with him in more years. 13  movies - eight from RKO, two from Warner Bros. and one each from Monogram, United Artists and AVCO-Embassy. I don't think they had to go outside the library once.

On 6/27/2021 at 8:35 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Day Six is Robert Mitchum, pretty much a dream star for TCM. Not sure why they haven't gone with him in more years. 13  movies - eight from RKO, two from Warner Bros. and one each from Monogram, United Artists and AVCO-Embassy. I don't think they had to go outside the library once.

Honorees whose selected films this year are all in the Turner library: Bette Davis, Esther Williams, Kathryn Grayson, Ramon Novarro, Judy Garland, Jane Wyman and James Cagney.

• Thanks 1

Day Seven is Abbott & Costello.

So, they had a semi-exclusive contract at Universal which permitted them to make no more than one picture a year at another studio, and TCM appears to pretty much  be showing ALL of these films.  For three years in a row, they made that one non-Universal movie at MGM. TCM is unsurprisingly showing all three of those MGM movies (It's funny if you watch the Bogdanovich documentary on Buster Keaton, there's a moment where Leonard Maltin totally trashes MGM for consistently putting out the worst movies of the comic geniuses - Keaton, Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, the Marx Brothers, etc. Certainly a moment I'm sure TCM wishes they could edit out of the doc). There are also two at Warner Bros. and one at United Artists and to fill up the time, the highlight-reel compilation The Big Parade of Comedy, which appears to be MGM's forerunner to the That's Entertainment series, except with comedy. However, we do get six Universal pictures. They are:

Buck Privates (1941)
Ride 'Em, Cowboy (1942)
The Time of Their Lives (1942) (This is also airing on July 4 as part of a Revolutionary War theme. TCM trying to take advantage of a short window in which they're able to air it, I think)
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)
Abbott & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1953) 

On 6/25/2021 at 1:13 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Day Two is Richard Burton. Only 10 movies. That was all they could fit in, I guess. The average run time of his movies appears to top two and half hours. There are five MGM entries, two from United Artists and one from Warner Bros. The highlights here are The  Taming of the Shrew from Columbia in 1967 and Anne of the Thousand Days from Universal in 1969. They're limiting themselves to three pairings with Elizabeth Taylor, leaving out Virginia Woolfe and The V.I.P.s, though I'm assuming without looking ahead the latter will be shown on Margaret Rutherford's day.

No Virginia Woolf?? That's strange....... Oh, I see Woolf is on Segal day!

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

No Virginia Woolf?? That's strange....... Oh, I see Woolf is on Segal day!

Yeah, TopBilled, who seems to be able to commit the next 100 days' programming to memory instantly, pointed this out to me quickly in a reply.

I also see I made a mistake in the spelling, given both TopBilled's and your replies. I don't know why I put an "e" at the end of Woolf. I was thinking of Tom Woolfe is all I can think of.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Day Seven is Abbott & Costello.

So, they had a semi-exclusive contract at Universal which permitted them to make no more than one picture a year at another studio, and TCM appears to pretty much  be showing ALL of these films.  For three years in a row, they made that one non-Universal movie at MGM. TCM is unsurprisingly showing all three of those MGM movies (It's funny if you watch the Bogdanovich documentary on Buster Keaton, there's a moment where Leonard Maltin totally trashes MGM for consistently putting out the worst movies of the comic geniuses - Keaton, Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, the Marx Brothers, etc. Certainly a moment I'm sure TCM wishes they could edit out of the doc). There are also two at Warner Bros. and one at United Artists and to fill up the time, the highlight-reel compilation The Big Parade of Comedy, which appears to be MGM's forerunner to the That's Entertainment series, except with comedy. However, we do get six Universal pictures. They are:

Buck Privates (1941)
Ride 'Em, Cowboy (1942)
The Time of Their Lives (1942) (This is also airing on July 4 as part of a Revolutionary War theme. TCM trying to take advantage of a short window in which they're able to air it, I think)
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)
Abbott & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1953) 

You're doing a great job with these mini-summaries.

We should mention that a few years ago, Backlot members were able to choose the Star of the Month one December, and their choices were Laurel & Hardy or Abbott & Costello. They chose L&H. So it's nice to see A&C get some love this summer.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yeah, TopBilled, who seems to be able to commit the next 100 days' programming to memory instantly, pointed this out to me quickly in a reply.

I also see I made a mistake in the spelling, given both TopBilled's and your replies. I don't know why I put an "e" at the end of Woolf. I was thinking of Tom Woolfe is all I can think of.

No biggie. I didn't even notice.

• Thanks 1
On 6/22/2021 at 9:50 AM, Hibi said:

It's too bad Klute is always shown in the overnight hours due to the language/sex scenes.

Happily KLUTE is airing (or at least begins) during the so-called "prime time"  this year.  And BARBARELLA is scheduled as well!

*ALL TIMES EDT AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE
FRIDAY, AUGUST 13
Jane Fonda
 6:00 AM Tall Story (1960)
 8:00 AM The Chapman Report (1962)
10:15 AM Period of Adjustment (1962)
12:15 PM Any Wednesday (1966)
 2:15 PM In the Cool of the Day (1963)
 4:00 PM Agnes of God (1985)
 6:00 PM Sunday in New York (1963)
 8:00 PM The China Syndrome (1979)
10:15 PM Klute (1971)
12:30 AM Barbarella (1968)
 2:15 AM Stanley & Iris (1990)
 4:15 AM Tout va Bien (1972)

10 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Happily KLUTE is airing (or at least begins) during the so-called "prime time"  this year.  And BARBARELLA is scheduled as well!

FRIDAY, AUGUST 13
Jane Fonda

I just saw Klute for the first time a few months ago.  I loved it! It was such a great movie.  And even though it's outdated now, I thought that Jane Fonda's shag haircut was actually pretty cool.

I love Barbarella.  I've seen it twice now.  It's so weird, but oddly captivating.  I can't look away.

I wish they would have played Walk on the Wild Side, if only so I could have gotten a copy to store on my DVR. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I just saw Klute for the first time a few months ago.  I loved it! It was such a great movie.  And even though it's outdated now, I thought that Jane Fonda's shag haircut was actually pretty cool.

I love Barbarella.  I've seen it twice now.  It's so weird, but oddly captivating.  I can't look away.

I love BARBARELLA (I've seen it three times) and KLUTE.

Jane Fonda's shag haircut in KLUTE was created by Paul McGregor in his salon in New York City's East Village. It was not the work of the movie's hair department.  It was born out of Fonda's desire to rebel against her then-husband Roger Vadim , who had directed her BARBARELLA.  When she went to the shop, she simply told McGregor (who was Vadim's stylist) to "Do something."   She rocks it!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I love BARBARELLA (I've seen it three times) and KLUTE.

Jane Fonda's shag haircut in KLUTE was created by Paul McGregor in his salon in New York City's East Village. It was not the work of the movie's hair department.  It was born out of Fonda's desire to rebel against her then-husband Roger Vadim , who had directed her BARBARELLA.  When she went to the shop, she simply told McGregor (who was Vadim's stylist) to "Do something."   She rocks it!

Lol.  I think her hair looks great.  And I love her clothes in that movie too.  I thought that the movie was very interesting in terms of its messages re: sex  and sex work.  The story was as much about Jane's character as it was about Donald Sutherland's character trying to solve the mystery behind the businessman's disappearance. 

I know that Klute is the first film in Alan J Pakula's "Paranoia" trilogy.  I've seen Klute (#1) and All the President's Men (#3).  I just need to see The Parallax View with Warren Beatty.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol.  I think her hair looks great.  And I love her clothes in that movie too.  I thought that the movie was very interesting in terms of its messages re: sex  and sex work.  The story was as much about Jane's character as it was about Donald Sutherland's character trying to solve the mystery behind the businessman's disappearance. 

I know that Klute is the first film in Alan J Pakula's "Paranoia" trilogy.  I've seen Klute (#1) and All the President's Men (#3).  I just need to see The Parallax View with Warren Beatty.

I've seen all three movies in Pakula's paranoia "trilogy."  Paula Prentiss (one of my favorite actors) has a small but pivotal role in THE PARALLAX VIEW.

Yes,  the costumes Ann Roth designed for Jane Fonda in KLUTE are amazing!

91a709ecdaf4f35a0bebbd0a7af3d2ce.jpg

dd4ff5f184824db23bbb45cc94f690e1.jpg

e95b5da83e4aca1310ca0775ec3006fa.jpg

8e46e0bbb5fc3733ac74c2c31b47a3c2.jpg

a63fd2d32477480b21bc9f52e6b9f3a6.jpg

• Like 1

Wish TCM could think out side the box more. Cagney day is showing lots of his pre-codes-which capture Jimmy at his most dynamic-but still not Angels With Dirty Faces or Ceiling Zero. It frustrates the hell out of me as I'm sure it does others like me. Or not seeing Mitchum in Mister Moses, a film I saw back in the 80's on local cable but seems to have been lost in the cracks of underrated gems. Another gripe are the show times. Nice to see Two For the Seesaw or Where's Poppa? on Segal's  day but must they be shown in the wee hours? Anyway, glad to see Ty Power and The Black Rose [has it ever been on TCM?] and A Yank in the R.A.F [shown before, but not very often].  So there are compensations, but I'd really like the channel have it's reach exceed it's grasp.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

FRIDAY, AUGUST 13
Jane Fonda
 A

But not They shoot Horses don't they or A doll's House.  And the failure to show A touch of Class suggests it will never be shown.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

FRIDAY, AUGUST 13
Jane Fonda

Yes, I couldn't believe it!

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I wish they would have played Walk on the Wild Side, if only so I could have gotten a copy to store on my DVR. 

Yes, Walk is VERY entertaining!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, skimpole said:

But not They shoot Horses don't they or A doll's House.  And the failure to show A touch of Class suggests it will never be shown.

Has TCM ever shown They Shoot Horses?

9 hours ago, cinemanut said:

Wish TCM could think out side the box more. Cagney day is showing lots of his pre-codes-which capture Jimmy at his most dynamic-but still not Angels With Dirty Faces or Ceiling Zero. It frustrates the hell out of me as I'm sure it does others like me. Or not seeing Mitchum in Mister Moses, a film I saw back in the 80's on local cable but seems to have been lost in the cracks of underrated gems. Another gripe are the show times. Nice to see Two For the Seesaw or Where's Poppa? on Segal's  day but must they be shown in the wee hours? Anyway, glad to see Ty Power and The Black Rose [has it ever been on TCM?] and A Yank in the R.A.F [shown before, but not very often].  So there are compensations, but I'd really like the channel have it's reach exceed it's grasp.

I think they pulled TWO FOR THE SEESAW and replaced it with THE WAY WEST.

37 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, Walk is VERY entertaining!

I would love to know who thought of casting Anne Baxter as the Latina cafe owner. 

• Haha 1

Day Eight is Esther Williams. I checked over her imdb page, and of the last four movies she made, two were at Universal, one at 20th Century Fox and one was made in Spain. But TCM isn't showing any of those. Instead, it's all MGM, all the time. 12 movies from between 1944 and 1955. We get at least one of those stars every year. 

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Day Eight is Esther Williams. I checked over her imdb page, and of the last four movies she made, two were at Universal, one at 20th Century Fox and one was made in Spain. But TCM isn't showing any of those. Instead, it's all MGM, all the time. 12 movies from between 1944 and 1955. We get at least one of those stars every year. 

The only one of her post-MGM films that TCM has ever aired is THE UNGUARDED MOMENT (1956). That's when she was Star of the Month. And they have never repeated it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unguarded_Moment_(film)

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I would love to know who thought of casting Anne Baxter as the Latina cafe owner. 

Bad Movies We Love has a lot of fun with Walk on the Wild Side. Anne Baxter as a Latina, Laurence Harvey as a guy from Texas who wants to write the Great American Novel, Capucine as his hometown girlfriend. Not the most obvious choices, shall we say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Cagney films they left off the list: 13 Rue Madelaine, Man of a Thousand Faces, G-Men,  Ragtime,  City for Conquest, The Fighting 69th, Captains of the Clouds and Blood on the Sun.

The usual ones they miss are Public Enemy, Angels with Dirty Faces, Each Dawn I Die and Lady Killer.

For Van Heflin, how could they miss Shane??

• Like 1