Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Complete* TCM 2021 Summer Under the Stars Line-Up

Day Nine is Kay Francis. They're showing 17 movies! Movies were short in the '30s. Remember when TCM had a monthly theme of movies that were all shorter than 75 minutes? They probably could have shown (and maybe did) several Francis movies then.

Her imdb bio defines her speech impediment as a lisp, which I've always thought of as making a "th" sound instead of "s", like Ron Howard saying "AmerilyTH" in The Music Man,  although there's a poster on here, I don't remember who, who in every single post he makes about her calls her Kay Fwancis (I mean EVERY single one), implying her problem was a slurring of the R's. They kind of suggest that this was her problem on imdb, too. I don't know. I haven't listened to her closely enough. Maybe she struggled with both. Didn't stop her from being a big star.

Anyway, looks like 15 of the 17 movies they're showing are from Warner Bros., a studio she sued to attempt to get out of her contract from, little realizing she was jeopardizing how often her films would get played on TCM 90 years in the future. The only ones not from WB are Trouble in Paradise from Paramount in 1932, which TCM seems to show quite a bit. In fact, I think I saw it once earlier this  year (I have a pet conspiracy theory I can't prove that TCM can only air Paramount movies that were directed by Lubitsch, Sturges, Wilder or Hitchcock. Look up the record!) and 1945's Allotment Wives, one of several latter-career films she produced independently at Monogram, which I think is in the library. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 10 is George Segal. Here's what they're airing from outside the TCM library:

King Rat (with Tom Courtenay) (Columbia, 1965)
The Owl and the ... Ummm ... Kitty Kat (trying to avoid autocensor) (with Barbra Streisand) (Columbia, 1970)
California Split (with Elliot Gould) (Columbia, 1974)
Fun with ... Ummm ... Richard and Jane (tempting autocensor again?) (with Jane Fonda) (Columbia, 1977)

Other than these four Columbia films, I think I count four from Warner Bros. and three from United Artists.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Oneeyeopen said:

The Cagney films they left off the list: 13 Rue Madelaine, Man of a Thousand Faces, G-Men,  Ragtime,  City for Conquest, The Fighting 69th, Captains of the Clouds and Blood on the Sun.

The usual ones they miss are Public Enemy, Angels with Dirty Faces, Each Dawn I Die and Lady Killer.

For Van Heflin, how could they miss Shane??

I think TCM programmers consider SHANE an Alan Ladd movie. :) 

Day 11 is Kathryn Grayson. Looks like she made only one film in her whole career that wasn't at MGM, The Vagabond King from Paramount in 1956., which I think was also her last.TCM isn't showing it, so all 12 of these movies are MGM releases.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Day Nine is Kay Francis. They're showing 17 movies! Movies were short in the '30s. Remember when TCM had a monthly theme of movies that were all shorter than 75 minutes? They probably could have shown (and maybe did) several Francis movies then.

Her imdb bio defines her speech impediment as a lisp, which I've always thought of as making a "th" sound instead of "s", like Ron Howard saying "AmerilyTH" in The Music Man,  although there's a poster on here, I don't remember who, who in every single post he makes about her calls her Kay Fwancis (I mean EVERY single one), implying her problem was a slurring of the R's. They kind of suggest that this was her problem on imdb, too. I don't know. I haven't listened to her closely enough. Maybe she struggled with both. Didn't stop her from being a big star.

Anyway, looks like 15 of the 17 movies they're showing are from Warner Bros., a studio she sued to attempt to get out of her contract from, little realizing she was jeopardizing how often her films would get played on TCM 90 years in the future. The only ones not from WB are Trouble in Paradise from Paramount in 1932, which TCM seems to show quite a bit. In fact, I think I saw it once earlier this  year (I have a pet conspiracy theory I can't prove that TCM can only air Paramount movies that were directed by Lubitsch, Sturges, Wilder or Hitchcock. Look up the record!) and 1945's Allotment Wives, one of several latter-career films she produced independently at Monogram, which I think is in the library. 

She also made a few at RKO after her days at Warner Brothers had ended. Those are in the Turner Library as well-- IN NAME ONLY (1939), LITTLE MEN (1940) and PLAY GIRL (1941).

ALLOTMENT WIVES (1945) was part of a three-picture deal at Monogram at the tail end of her film career. She did those because she was able to take on the role of a producer, probably one of few women stars of her generation to get a producer credit. The other two are DIVORCE (1945) which TCM has shown and WIFE WANTED (1946) which TCM has never shown but turns up onYouTube sometimes.

Re: her contract with Warners, she did not sue to get released from her contract. Just the opposite. Jack Warner decided she was too expensive and wanted to get rid of her after WHITE ANGEL (1936). She wouldn't let him break the contract, which still had four more films to go (and a lot of salary). So he took her off the prestigious "A" films she had been doing and he gave her lower budget "B" films, hoping she would quit. She did not quit. And some of those "B" films like MY BILL (1938) and WOMEN IN THE WIND (1939) did very well with audiences. 

After WOMEN IN THE WIND, she moved on to RKO as a freelancer.

But ironically, they brought her back in 1942 to do the melodramatic "A" film ALWAYS IN MY HEART, which was another hit for her and for them. It earned four times what it cost.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Day 11 is Kathryn Grayson. Looks like she made only one film in her whole career that wasn't at MGM, The Vagabond King from Paramount in 1956., which I think was also her last.TCM isn't showing it, so all 12 of these movies are MGM releases.

TCM has never aired THE VAGABOND KING (1956), not even when Kathryn Grayson was Star of the Month. I believe the big budget musical at Paramount was her last feature film.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Re: her contract with Warners, she did not sue to get released from her contract. Just the opposite. Jack Warner decided she was too expensive and wanted to get rid of her after WHITE ANGEL (1936). She wouldn't let him break the contract, which still had four more films to go (and a lot of salary).

I acknowledge I could have read that wrong on imdb.

10 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

No worries. I just didn't want people to have the wrong impression about Kay Francis and her work ethic. She was not a quitter.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, kingrat said:

Bad Movies We Love has a lot of fun with Walk on the Wild Side. Anne Baxter as a Latina, Laurence Harvey as a guy from Texas who wants to write the Great American Novel, Capucine as his hometown girlfriend. Not the most obvious choices, shall we say.

For me, sometimes a slightly trashy drama, especially one from the 50s-70s is exactly what I want to watch.  This film definitely hit the spot for me one day when I discovered it was streaming on the Criterion Channel.  I thought that Barbara Stanwyck was fantastic as the lesbian madam who has designs for Capucine. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Day Eight is Esther Williams. I checked over her imdb page, and of the last four movies she made, two were at Universal, one at 20th Century Fox and one was made in Spain. But TCM isn't showing any of those. Instead, it's all MGM, all the time. 12 movies from between 1944 and 1955. We get at least one of those stars every year. 

I have a friend who buys TV series and movies for a TV network.  He said that Comcast (NBC Universal) is difficult to deal with compared with the other studios.  He didn't provide any other details and I don't pry (too much!) 

• Thanks 2
19 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yes, she had problems with her Rs. It wasnt that apparent and not a big deal (to me at least).

There is a medical term for it (the R's as W's) but I can't think of it.

Yeah, they never show any of her Paramount films. They do show one from time to time (one with William Powell) where he's a lawyer.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

She did take them to court about something.. No agreement could be reached and she continued to earn her salary and they put her in Bs trying to make her quit, but she made the films until her contract was over.

• Thanks 1

Now that I think of it, I think she dropped the suit and made the film in question (forget the title). Was just before they put her in B films.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:05 AM, TopBilled said:

I think they pulled TWO FOR THE SEESAW and replaced it with THE WAY WEST.

Perhaps I am missing something, but Two for the Seesaw is still on the schedule late on Robert Mitchum day at 1:45 AM ET August 7th.

Don't see The Way West listed.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, LMmomSD said:

I was beginning to think I was the only one excited over Eve Arden. I love her. She didn't have a lot of lead roles,but I feel she stole every scene she was in

No, you're not the only one excited over Eve Arden getting a Summer Under the Stars day.    I've thought for years that she should.  

She sure did steal scenes, quite masterfully and quite delightfully.    

Eve Arden didn't have a lot of lead roles, but then again, neither did Marie Dressler - and TCM made Marie Dressler a Star of the Month.

By this token, Eve Arden also deserves having TCM make her a Star of the Month.    That's something else that I've been hoping for, for years.

These are SOME of the movies that TCM should air if and when that happens:

- Having Wonderful Time

- Stage Door

- Comrade X

- Mildred Pierce

- Goodbye My Fancy

- The Unfaithful

- My Reputation

- My Dream Is Yours

- Paid In Full

- Cover Girl

- The Kid from Brooklyn

- One Touch of Venus

- Tea for Two

- We're Not Married

- Our Miss Brooks

- Grease

- Grease 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m thrilled to see Tyrone power on the SUTS schedule for 8/22. It’s an interesting compilation of his best films including the dark Nightmare Alley, Witness for the Prosecution and the wonderful little known Abandon Ship. He could act but never ever overacted. I really enjoy his work

• Like 1