Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Joanne Linville (1928-2021)

jakeem

The veteran actress and acting mentor Joanne Linville, who appeared in more than 100 television series and motion pictures, died Sunday in Los Angeles at the age of 93. The cause of her death was not immediately disclosed.

She is best remembered for her groundbreaking performance in the 1968 "Star Trek" episode "The Enterprise Incident," in which she played the series' first female Romulan commander. 

Linville also co-created The Stella Adler Studio of Acting in Los Angelesw and taught there as a master coach until two years ago. In 2011, she co-wrote the book "Joanne Linville's Seven Steps to an Acting Craft (with John Deck).

In a statement to USA  Today, Linville's family said she "lived a full life. One whose spirit, passion for art and life was an inspiration to all who had the pleasure of knowing her. A loving mother and proud grandmother." 

See the source image

Linville co-starred with James Gregory in "The Passersby," an unforgettable 1961 episode of the CBS anthology series "The Twilight Zone." Written by the show's creator Rod Serling, the installment featured Linville as Lavinia Godwin, a Civil War-era Southern woman who watches people walking down the road past her burned-out mansion. 

See the source image

In "Running Scared," a Season 3 episode of the ABC hit drama series "The Fugitive," Linville played the wife of the district attorney (James Daly) who prosecuted the convicted murderer and escaped prisoner Dr. Richard Kimble (series star David Janssen). When Kimble returns to his hometown after the death of his father, Linville's character helps the wanted man escape from a tight spot. The episode originally aired on February 22, 1966.

See the source image

In "The Enterprise Incident," which was the second episode of Season 3 of NBC's "Star Trek," Linville played a Romulan commander whose name we never hear. She arrests Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and  fancies Mr. Spock (Leonard Nimoy) after the USS Enterprise deliberately intrudes into Romulan space. Written by Dorothy "D.C." Fontana, the episode originally aired on September 27, 1968.

The Romulan Commander Joanne Linville Star Trek The Original Series S03e02 The Enterprise

Linville guest starred in the Season 3 episode of NBC's "Columbo" titled "Candidate for Crime." She played the wife of a ruthless U.S. Senate candidate (Jackie Cooper) who tries to gain an edge by manufacturing death threats against himself. When one of the ploys results in his campaign manager's death, Lt. Columbo of the LAPD (series star Peter Falk) arrives on the scene. Directed by Boris Sagal (whose daughter Katey played a campaign worker), the episode originally aired on November 4, 1973.

See the source image

The 1976 remake of "A Star Is Born" starred Barbra Streisand as Esther Hoffman, a struggling singer who became  a star after she married the rock star John Norman Howard (Kris Kristofferson). As her star climbed, his career declined -- thanks in part to his alcoholism.  Linville (pictured behind Streisand) co-starred as her friend Freddie Lowenstein. The actor-director Paul Mazursky (at right) played agent Brian Wexler. That's Streisand's sister, singer Roslyn Kind, beneath the arrow as a guest at the Grammy Awards.    

Joanne Linville, A Star Is BornJoanne Linville, A Star Is BornSee the source imageJoanne Linville, A Star Is Born

In a 2020 Variety piece, the three-time Oscar-nominated actor Mark Ruffalo recalled how Linville made an impact on his life at The Stella Adler Studio. "I was living in San Diego and basically just surfing and smoking weed and going nowhere really fast," he recalled. "Someone told me I should go study there so out of my desperation and my secret of wanting to be an actor, I took the train up there for an interview with my teacher Joanne Linville." He said Linville interviewed him for about 10 minutes. "She was like, 'You belong here, darling.' I never had anyone tell me I belong somewhere. I had never been so excited about learning in my entire life as I embarked on that journey."

0dd1e7cfeca462bd47a0e65753c68d0e

From 1962 to 1973, Linville was married to the actor-turned-director Mark Rydell ("The Rose," "On Golden Pond"). Their children, Amy (pictured below with Linville) and Christopher, also became actors.

0be7636f-2897-4836-80df-5c35ac361c0b.png

PPSRPy8W_bigger.jpg

Saddened to hear about the passing of the great #JoanneLinville. Perhaps the best thing about #StarTrek's third season. Commander of not one, but three Roman flagships, and custodian of the cloaking device and, for a time, Mr. Spock's heart.

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

she was as gorgeous as she was a terrific actress. she really knew how to handle kirk. in a star trek novel she winds up wanting Kirk as her lover.

The Price of the Phoenix is a sequel to an earlier star trek short story.

:)

22 JOANNE LINVILLE ( Star Trek ) ideas in 2021 | star trek, trek, star trek  original

"he is not sane."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hL7HogamDVc/TJL-4nTLvFI/AAAAAAAACTA/5AphhCZ8JOw/s1600/The_Enterprise_Incident_103.jpg

Star Trek The Original Series Rewatch: “The Enterprise Incident” | Tor.com

Kirk Your Enthusiasm (12) – HILOBROW

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings