Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It happened again!

Sepiatone

Last week sometime, I got a phone call that the caller ID on my phone identified as ""Illegal scam".  :o  :lol:

Of course, I didn't answer, but it cracked me up for days.  And just now, today(6/22) I got TWO calls identified as "Potential scam"!  :D   I mean....

Does whomever is making these calls KNOW that's how their calls are I D'd?  Or do they intentionally I D them that way thinking such a thing would pique our curiosity so much we'll actually answer just to find out what's up with it?  :rolleyes:

Anyone else here ever get one of these calls?

Sepiatone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Last week sometime, I got a phone call that the caller ID on my phone identified as ""Illegal scam".  :o  :lol:

Of course, I didn't answer, but it cracked me up for days.  And just now, today(6/22) I got TWO calls identified as "Potential scam"!  :D   I mean....

Does whomever is making these calls KNOW that's how their calls are I D'd?  Or do they intentionally I D them that way thinking such a thing would pique our curiosity so much we'll actually answer just to find out what's up with it?  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

According to this websites, has something to do with spoofing.

https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Caller-ID-to-let-you-know-if-phone-number-is-spoofed-570545081.html

https://consoltech.com/blog/how-to-avoid-being-marked-scam-likely-caller-id/

601fefea-b1ca-4176-957c-a76b10295580_750

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

😂Lol👋👋👋lol😂👋

Yup.. ...This One Does. ...

... .

I Often Find it +Amusing to See (Just) where said call(s) originate...                     🌍🌎🌏

Just a Couple ah days ago i got one such call from one (locale): Rourkela, Odisha...

Of,-Course ...😐

😐😐😐 😐

Turns Out.. ....😏...for All "You" Folks Out there who are Just, DYING.. ..toKnow (😂😐🙄😝😂😐😐😐)..

Its a Teensie Weensie Principality of a Place..

... . In India,.

- ..encomposing a Grand Total Area of (*not even) thirty five square miles... . ..

😐

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2021 at 1:21 PM, hamradio said:

I got these calls on my landline, so I'm not sure any of that info applies.  And as you can see, I don't live in Wisconsin.

Sepiatone

I got a call from "Microsoft" yesterday citing some 'critical" issue on my computer which they would have to disable if I didn't speak to them for a correction. Since Microsoft never calls people I knew it was a scam.

Instead of just slamming the phone in the guy's ear I asked him, "Does you mother know what you do for a living?"

Much to my surprise he responded, "NO! I would never want her to know what I do."

"Then why do it?" I asked him, "Why not get a legitimate job not scamming people?"

To that he merely replied, "Pray for me."

At that I hung up the phone but I found it unexpected and refreshing that the guy openly admitted right off the top he was a scammer. It may be the most honest thing he has done in a long while.

Having said that, I have no intention of praying for him.

On weekends I help with a local blood bank here in Phoenix. One of my tasks is to do some outbound calling. I call people who are due to return for their next blood donation (whole blood, platelets, plasma, etc.). These are people in our database that have given blood before, and they willingly gave us their phone number and email address. They expect to be called by us every few months.

Anyway, on Sunday, one guy I called said "I almost didn't answer because it said Potential Spam." A fair percentage of the calls I make do go to voicemail, so I am sure people are not answering because they think it's spam.

In this case, we are building up a blood supply for local hospitals. Blood that is needed to help save lives. 

Just because your phone identifies something as potential spam, only you the called individual can determine if it is actually spam by answering. If you answer, and it is actually spam, then block them. But if it is someone calling from a blood bank service, please answer the phone.

Each whole blood donation can save up to three lives.

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

I got a call from "Microsoft" yesterday citing some 'critical" issue on my computer which they would have to disable if I didn't speak to them for a correction. Since Microsoft never calls people I knew it was a scam.

Instead of just slamming the phone in the guy's ear I asked him, "Does you mother know what you do for a living?"

Much to my surprise he responded, "NO! I would never want her to know what I do."

"Then why do it?" I asked him, "Why not get a legitimate job not scamming people?"

To that he merely replied, "Pray for me."

At that I hung up the phone but I found it unexpected and refreshing that the guy openly admitted right off the top he was a scammer. It may be the most honest thing he has done in a long while.

Having said that, I have no intention of praying for him.

I used to keep them on the line, letting them go through their script.  After they were done, I told them I know it's hard to make a living, but would you steal from your grandparents, because that's exactly what you're doing.  Most would just hang up then, but I did get a couple of "shut ups" and one FU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

it is actually spam, then block them. But if it is someone calling from a blood bank service, please answer the phone.

Each whole blood donation can save up to three lives.

If the ID says "potential spam" then it probably is.  But when The Red Cross calls looking for a blood donation, my ID reads, "Red Cross".  But since I've been on coumadin for seven years, I have to sadly refuse them.  I used to give a pint regularly.  I've earned three gallon pins over the years.

I remember my Grandmother, years before telephone "caller ID existed telling me she got a call on which a bubbly sounding young lady instantly blurted, "How would YOU like to win $5,000?".  Grandma said she right off knew someone had something to try and sell her,  so she answered, "No thanks."  The girl sputtered a bit, realizing her well rehearsed bit was thrown off kilter and asked, "You wouldn't?  Why not?"   And my Grandmother replied, "Well, you know.  You come into some money and suddenly you have relatives you never heard of and friends asking to borrow some, and then there's the taxes that I'd have to pay.  I'd rather not deal with any of that.  So, keep your money."  While the girl kept sputtering and was still unable to answer, my Grandma asked her, "Why don't you forget about your prepared responses and just tell me what it is you're trying to sell me?"  Turned out it was a promotion that a company had that if you agreed to buy their set of pots and pans( things my Grandmother had plenty of) her name would be entered in a $5,000 sweepstakes. B)

Sepiatone

47 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

If the ID says "potential spam" then it probably is.  But when The Red Cross calls looking for a blood donation, my ID reads, "Red Cross".  But since I've been on coumadin for seven years, I have to sadly refuse them.  I used to give a pint regularly.  I've earned three gallon pins over the years.

I remember my Grandmother, years before telephone "caller ID existed telling me she got a call on which a bubbly sounding young lady instantly blurted, "How would YOU like to win $5,000?".  Grandma said she right off knew someone had something to try and sell her,  so she answered, "No thanks."  The girl sputtered a bit, realizing her well rehearsed bit was thrown off kilter and asked, "You wouldn't?  Why not?"   And my Grandmother replied, "Well, you know.  You come into some money and suddenly you have relatives you never heard of and friends asking to borrow some, and then there's the taxes that I'd have to pay.  I'd rather not deal with any of that.  So, keep your money."  While the girl kept sputtering and was still unable to answer, my Grandma asked her, "Why don't you forget about your prepared responses and just tell me what it is you're trying to sell me?"  Turned out it was a promotion that a company had that if you agreed to buy their set of pots and pans( things my Grandmother had plenty of) her name would be entered in a $5,000 sweepstakes. B)

Sepiatone

I had a feeling you would want to argue this. My post was sincere.

All I am saying is that Potential Spam does not mean Actual Spam. There are exceptions to the rule.

There are plenty of legitimate blood bank services around the country besides the Red Cross, and I am involved with one such organization.

I know you will reply because you like protracted arguments but I am not going to read any more of your posts in this thread because I don't like that type of negativity.

so, WHOSE being negative here?  I'm merely(and underlying) insisting that legitimate businesses and charities set it up to clearly identify who they are on a telephone's "caller ID".  Then the person called can make an informed choice to either answer or leave it be.  An ID that reads "Potential Spam" only leads me to believe there's nothing "potential" going on and that it should read "Definite Spam".  And if the blood bank service you're involved with has their phone calls ID'd as "Potential Spam" then they really can't be doing their purpose all that good, can they?

Sepiatone

There's a new wrinkle.  For the last couple of days I've been getting calls that my phone's "caller ID"  only shows a row of numbers.  No, NOT the phone number of the caller, but a string of numbers OVER the phone number where the identification of the caller would be.  One call I got(this morning) gave THIS as an "ID"---

Then under that was a phone number with an area code I was totally unfamiliar with.  

Sepiatone

52 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Or maybe just a Commodore 64?  ;) 

Sepiatone

Yeah that was a slow computer by every respect, even the floppy drive which used a serial cable.

My first Color Computer I - 'F' version was only $499.95 in 1983. The disk drive used a ribbon cable via rompack controller - loaded / saved very quickly.  Scrolling was far faster.  My CoCo III upgrade was $129.95 and installed 512K of memory. (some non Tandy  vendors had 1 meg).

Many of the video games were high quality for the day - loved the joystick.  Namco finally released it's OFFICIAL Pac Man during the 1990's, before that Ghost Gobbler was a perfect clone.

Zaxxon by Sega which was limited by the 32K RAM to keep it compatible with older units. 

(Do people take stuff for granted TODAY!)

• Like 1