Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

what sci-fi cult classic would today's Hollywood not be able to make a good remake of

NipkowDisc

I think any sci-fi space film that shows alien women as sexy with dolled-up hair and mini-skirt outfits would be totally changed.

The Queen of Outer Space (1958) comes to mind, where the male space cadets only seem concerned with making out with the women of Venus while Earth is about to be destroyed. 

Barbarella is a film that I would personally love to not re-make but to make something similar to- in the vain of sci-fi pin-up pulp.

7a1bea8dfa983eeecadb6e5dcb53a0f9.jpg

• Like 3

It could be done, but only by a small independent self-funded operator that is teetering on financial insolvency in the first place, with no hope of a gold mine in it for them by making the movie.  A labor of love.  Just like in the 1950s/60s.  Something that barely can afford to have 1 or 2 actual cameras (not cell phones).  The closest thing we have in recent years that i can think of is The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001) - though not a remake.  Due to my aversion to modern cinema standards, there will likely be others I have missed in the fray.

The big 3 or 4 would just invert everything and then pump it up with steroids.  Though there are those who would gravitate to that, I am not one of them.

• Like 1

Christopher R. Mihm has has written, produced, directed, edited and probably served as general stagehand on fifteen movies which capture much of the essence of 1950s sci-fi/horror/monster cult movies. He has been termed: "the king of 'new old, good bad' movies."

The Phantom Lake Kids in the Unseen Invasion (2020)
Queen of Snakes (2019)
Guns of the Apocalypse (2018)
Demon with the Atomic Brain (2017)
Weresquito: Nazi Hunter (2016)
Danny Johnson Saves the World (2015)
The Late Night Double Feature (2014)
The Giant Spider (2013)
House of Ghosts (2012)
Attack of the Moon Zombies (2011)
Destination: Outer Space (2010)
Terror from Beneath the Earth (2009)
Cave Women on Mars (2008)
It Came from Another World! (2007)
The Monster of Phantom Lake (2006)

I have watched of these only: Cave Women on Mars (2008). It was acceptable and it would not surprise me if it attracted a cult following. The women were not particularly scantily clad but they were far from overdressed.

The IMDb.com ratings for his movies range from three to six.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I have watched of these only: Cave Women on Mars (2008). It was acceptable and it would not surprise me if it attracted a cult following. The women were not particularly scantily clad but they were far from overdressed.

Nope, you're right Sans. Looks like these martian cave women in this movie you mentioned are goin' for more the leather "goth" look than they are the mid-century hooker look in my favorite guilty pleasure flick of all time. The one that Shank Asu mentioned above...Queen of Outer Space.

cave-women-on-mars_orig.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

I think any sci-fi space film that shows alien women as sexy with dolled-up hair and mini-skirt outfits would be totally changed.

The Queen of Outer Space (1958) comes to mind, where the male space cadets only seem concerned with making out with the women of Venus while Earth is about to be destroyed. 

Definitely this scene would have to go:

HnbD40Q.png

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, SansFin said:

When will you learn?

LOL

Yep, or as I'll bet your "fuzzy wuzzy" Capuchin is often moved to tell others: "I married Miss Right...Miss ALWAYS Right!"  ;)

(...and speakin' of which, it's nice seein' the guy on these boards again...so, about those Toronados of his...?)  

LOL

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Definitely this scene would have to go:

HnbD40Q.png

LOL

Ah yes. I still remember the first time you brought up the issue of those futuristic telephones in this flick, Rich.

(...I've got a mind like a steel trap, ya know...although I've noticed it's startin' to get a little rust on it lately)

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yep, or as I'll bet your "fuzzy wuzzy" Capuchin is often moved to tell others: "I married Miss Right...Miss ALWAYS Right!"  ;)

(...and speakin' of which, it's nice seein' the guy on these boards again...so, about those Toronados of his...?)  

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear,
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair,
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn’t really fuzzy,
Was he?

I call him my little fuzzy because of a resemblance to a character in: Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

Or even its original story-treatment  incarnation as a Ben Hecht comedy, where an all-female planet wants to invade the Earth, but they had to go back because they forgot their purses!  🤣

(...Yes.)  😑

(...I've got a mind like a steel trap, ya know...)

"The boy, ah say, the boy's got a mind like a steel trap:  Full of mice."  - Foghorn Leghorn.

4 hours ago, mister37 said:

I can't imagine there's any sci-fi movie, classic or not, that couldn't be made just as good or better today as back when.

Rollerball_2002.jpg'

...Next?--Oh, wait, sorry:

203967.jpg

...Now, next?

"Invasion of the Neptune Men"  (1961)

Invasion-of-the-Neptune-Men-1961.jpg

So THAT was the inspiration for "Coneheads" . :wacko:

(oh don't remake that stupid thing either)

"The Green Slime"  (1968)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdaf895f3b-cR0G5XhIds

"The Robot Monster" (1953)

Robot-Monster.jpg

aka Bigfoot from Outer Space. :blink:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

Barbarella is a film that I would personally love to not re-make but to make something similar to- in the vain of sci-fi pin-up pulp.

7a1bea8dfa983eeecadb6e5dcb53a0f9.jpg

I do like the send up to that movie...."Amazon Women on The Moon" (1987)

amazon-women-on-the-moon-1987.jpg

The ending had the moon hanging on a string exploded. LMREO! :lol:

There will be no further interruptions.

• Like 2