Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

11 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

WELCOME TO ARROW BEACH (1974) was released by the Magnetic Video Corporation in 1979.  I have an aging MAG videocassette of "Arrow Beach".  It's never been legally released on DVD or Blu-Ray that I know of. 

The good thing is the U.S. Magnetic release is the full-length version running 99 minutes.  There are overseas PAL-format VHS releases of "Welcome to Arrow Beach" that are all the short version running approx. 84 minutes where the "cannibalism" angle was nixed.  The only full-length homevideo release I know of for "Arrow Beach" is that Magnetic tape.  

Lou Rawls sings a charming little tune called "Who Can Tell Us Why" and reminds us that "We're all born to die".  Can you dig it? 

I am confused about some thing, and I don’t mean to betray myself as completely stupid, but I seem to recall that rubbing a magnet against the VHS tape was a bad thing that would erase it, am I thinking wrong? I’m just commenting on how odd is that a video release and company would be named magnetic...

I believe the late ANDRE BLAY founded the Magnetic Video Corporation in 1968 or so. 

ALSO:  It is definitely not recommended to rub a magnet around a VHS tape.  I can't remember exactly what happens if someone were to do that -- because I don't do that! 

The MAGNETIC VIDEO CORPORATION was bought up by 20th Century Fox Video in 1980 and, after 1981, Magnetic ceased to exist.  It was then called "20th Century Fox Video" in 1982 and subsequently "CBS/Fox Video" in 1983.  

I went to eBay just 2 days ago and narrowed my search to 'Movies & Tv' and then typed "MAGNETIC VIDEO" in the subject line and got 259 results.  Despite the fact Magnetic Video has been gone for 40 years now there are still a fair amount of Magnetics around waiting for good homes. 

I have 240 or so Magnetics released from 1977-81.  Four full boxes of these tapes and they are heavy.  Like video ▬ bricks ▬.   My biggest and most annoying failure to date is not obtaining the Magnetic Video 2-Tape set release of THE HUSTLER (1961).  It galls me that I've failed to acquire that particular Magnetic release . . . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am confused about some thing, and I don’t mean to betray myself as completely stupid, but I seem to recall that rubbing a magnet against the VHS tape was a bad thing that would erase it, am I thinking wrong? I’m just commenting on how odd is that a video release and company would be named magnetic...

I am far from the best choice for explaining technical details in English but I will try to make it understandable. Please forgive me if this seems a mish-mash.

The tape used for recordings has a coating with tiny particles which can be magnetized. That is why it is called: magnetic tape. Whether or not a particular particle is magnetized is part of the 'code' of the recording. Example: adjacent particles which are respectively: magnetized, not magnetized, magnetized, not magnetized can be read in binary as: 1010 or in analog as on-off-on-off.  

The recording head of a tape recorder selectively magnetizes some particles and does not magnetize others to match the data to be stored. A permanent magnet makes all of the particles magnetic. This removes/replaces any previously recorded data.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I am far from the best choice for explaining technical details in English but I will try to make it understandable. Please forgive me if this seems a mish-mash.

The tape used for recordings has a coating with tiny particles which can be magnetized. That is why it is called: magnetic tape. Whether or not a particular particle is magnetized is part of the 'code' of the recording. Example: adjacent particles which are respectively: magnetized, not magnetized, magnetized, not magnetized can be read in binary as: 1010 or in analog as on-off-on-off.  

The recording head of a tape recorder selectively magnetizes some particles and does not magnetize others to match the data to be stored. A permanent magnet makes all of the particles magnetic. This removes/replaces any previously recorded data.

thanks, i kinda get it. more or less. i think.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

thanks, i kinda get it. more or less. i think.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" ― Alan Greenspan

I am sorry to say that I know of no site which explains it clearly in non-technical terms. The best that I can suggest is for you to scan the Wikipedia article for: "magnetic tape" to see if any parts are understandable.

• Like 1

The 'stuff' inside the VHS tape is 'mylar' which is coated with these sticky 'magnetic particles'.  → When you insert the tape in to your VCR the mylar runs through the heads of your unit and you get a picture and sound on your television screen.  Some VCR's have 2 heads; some have 4.  There may have been some VCR's with 6 heads or 8 heads, but I need to look that up!

It's not at all like a digital disc which is read by a laser if I'm not mistaken.  A digital disc doesn't really have a 'movie' on it, you know?  It's just bits and bytes that are 'read' by the laser and you get a picture and sound on your screen.  I think that's how a DVD works.  I honestly have no idea about '4k' and barely any idea if Blu-Rays work the same way as DVD's.  

(I have 5500 VHS tapes and 2 Blu-Ray discs so the 'count' is a bit lop/sided). 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 2:34 AM, Mr. Gorman said:

The 'stuff' inside the VHS tape is 'mylar' which is coated with these sticky 'magnetic particles'.  → When you insert the tape in to your VCR the mylar runs through the heads of your unit and you get a picture and sound on your television screen.  Some VCR's have 2 heads; some have 4.  There may have been some VCR's with 6 heads or 8 heads, but I need to look that up!

It's not at all like a digital disc which is read by a laser if I'm not mistaken.  A digital disc doesn't really have a 'movie' on it, you know?  It's just bits and bytes that are 'read' by the laser and you get a picture and sound on your screen.  I think that's how a DVD works.  I honestly have no idea about '4k' and barely any idea if Blu-Rays work the same way as DVD's.  

(I have 5500 VHS tapes and 2 Blu-Ray discs so the 'count' is a bit lop/sided). 

I one hundred percent welcome this  thread becoming a VHS discussion.

I hope you live in California or someplace arid, I live in Southeastern North Carolina and it is incredibly hot and humid and the mold even gets inside cabinets. 
it’s very hard to keep VHS tapes unspoiled.

AND I NOTE THAT POLYESTER CONTAINS ONE OF THE FUNNIEST IMAGES KNOWN TO MAN, WHICH IS MINK STOLE IN CORNROWS

See the source image

The sight of which LITERALLY TICKLES ME, like I giggle and titter and snort uncontrollably through every minute she is onscreen and for quite some time after. I laughed thinking of it this morning. I laugh now as I write this.

I would PAY to watch MINK STOLE IN CORNROWS READ ALOUD FROM THE SANTA MONICA PHONEBOOK.

I would risk my life to catch MINK STOLE IN CORNROWS AS "JANE EYRE" on THE BIG SCREEN, and not just because of Covid, but also because I might literally laugh myself into a stroke or hysterics.

• Like 2

@LORNA:  I have little buckets of DAMP-RID around where I keep my tapes and a ceiling fan to keep the air flowing.  The aging VHS beasties are still working hard for me.   I'd be in Debtors Prison if I tried to 'double dip' on every movie I have on tape.  

I made a list not long ago of movies I'd either bought up or know of that, to date, have only been released on VHS.  Got about 50 movies on the list; I'm always thinking of more.   No particular reason why I think of these things.  I just *do*. 

• Like 2

Last night TCM broadcast LUST IN THE DUST which seems perfect for Underground.  I saw it on VHS not long after such release and basically dismissed it.  Watching 15 or 20 minutes last night, I can see why it's forgettable.  It's trash, but ultimately boring.  And I like trash.  It totally belonged on Underground, as I expect it has its fans. 

• Like 1

DIVINE basically 'makes' the movie; just imagine how bad LUST IN THE DUST would be without Mr. Milstead.

I've seen it a few times; thought it was funny.  Had a good cast, too.

@ALLHALLOWSDAY:  Well, shucks, if you like 'Trash' let me recommend one of my favorite movies of all-time:  GAS (1981-Canadian).  It's on YouTube.  PARAMOUNT released it on VHS but, to date, "Gas" has never been issued on DVD or Blu-Ray.  Could be because of the extensive and expensive soundtrack.  I've seen it 25 times.  Peter Aykroyd, Dan's brother who died recently at age 65, has his biggest part in a theatrical film in "GAS" as a sister-obsessed brother.  At one point his sister asks him to "zip her up" so he zips up her dress and licks her neck.  👅

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!  (But if you like 'trash' as you say . . . I double-dog-dare-ya to watch "Gas").  😁 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1