Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

19 minutes ago, jameselliot said:

Freaks was a box office failure for MGM. Already heavily edited before release, it attracted a lot of negative reviews and public outrage. It was banned in some countries. After the 1932 release, MGM pulled it off the market and sold the distribution rights for 25 years. MGM probably saw no beneficial advantage in suing a low-budget film company 35 years later but this is only a guess.

I'm not sure if MGM had also entered their MASSIVE LIQUIDATION PHASE- the auction of land and costumes and props- so it's possible they were consumed with that at the time.

(Really though, on PURE principle, the makers of SHE-FREAK deserved to be sued.)

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm not sure if MGM had also entered their MASSIVE LIQUIDATION PHASE- the auction of land and costumes and props- so it's possible they were consumed with that at the time.

(Really though, on PURE principle, the makers of SHE-FREAK deserved to be sued.)

She-Freak was made in 1967. MGM was on shaky ground by that time, but I think they were still relatively solvent due to The Dirty Dozen and blow-Up plus a rerelease of Gone with the Wind. The MGM demolition derby period didn't start until they were over $80 million in the hole in 1969 and came under new ownership. The new ownership not only sold off the backlots and the props, they also closed MGM's record company, British studio, distribution wing, and severely lowered the quality of films. All in 4 years. By the end of 1973, MGM's roar was reduced to the mew of a newborn kitten.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

JAMES T. AUBREY was hired to run MGM and restore it to profitability.  I believe Aubrey cut /budgets/ of a number of MGM films to stop the monetary hemorrhaging among all the other things he did. 

He also stopped several films from being done at all, including one by Fred Zinneman. He also edited some of the film's himself, without the knowledge of the filmmakers. The bad blood between him and Blake Edwards was especially infamous.

• Thanks 1

That was in regards to THE WILD ROVERS (1971) and then THE CAREY TREATMENT (1972). 

It seems Blake Edwards and producer William Belasco (1934-76) had "issues" during the making of 'CAREY', mostly due to Belasco.  Edwards was exasperated by Belasco's blustering on the set of "Carey".  

THE CAREY TREATMENT runs 101 minutes.  I'm not sure how long it was supposed to run but I liked "The Carey Treatment" the first time I saw it.  In fact, it was the singular movie THE CAREY TREATMENT that motivated me to go hunt down overseas VHS tapes and buy a PAL-playing VCR.  

I had seen THE CAREY TREATMENT on TCM in 2004 during the week of the Democratic National Convention -- a "movie theme night" about films that took place in Boston, Mass.  I taped it from TCM so I could watch it again.  I knew 'Carey' hadn't been issued on VHS in the U.S. by MGM (or any other company) so that's why I taped it. 

Except . . . after one more viewing the blank tape I'd used self-destructed!  Flakes of mylar came off and the tape was rendered unplayable.  Shortly thereafter I was on eBay looking for something else and decided, just for the heck of it, to type 'THE CAREY TREATMENT' in to the subject line and see what came up.  What showed up was a 1982 UK MGM release of "Carey" in a big silver plastic box.  I bought it.  That started my PAL collection.   :)  I was a well-chuffed Yankee. 

• Like 2

I will tack on that, child of a lawyer that I am, I think that not only should MGM have sued the makers of SHE-FREAK out of the rights of the film, but they should've teamed up with PEPSICO to file a joint copyright infringement claim.

That way the two could coproduce a re-edited rerelease  of the film with added scenes of a bejewelled, bouffanted, and slightly soused JOAN CRAWFORD as a CRISWELL-LIKE NARRATOR, who is never seen without, you guessed it, a BOTTLE of PEPSI at her side (and a fifth of Cuttysark in her clutch.)

22 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Saw this twitter post with the lineup for TCM Underground late this evening.  Next Friday is devoted to the National Film Registry, with the following week Christmas Eve and then New Year’s, so tonight is the last TCM Underground of the year.

DYKz4aF.jpg

you know,

I was going to deem last night's UNDERGROUND DOUBLE FEATURE as "SNOOZEVILLE: POPULATION 2" but I checked out SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT on a lark. It seemed like I'd maybe seen it before, but if I had, I'd somehow forgotten about it.

What a VILE, prurient , DEGENERATE piece of TRASH.

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I also could not help but GEEK OUT at several of THE TOYS ON DISPLAY in the 1984 TOYSTORE- they had THE JABBA THE HUT PLAYSET (I'm not even a STARWARS fanboy and I Gasped on seeing it) and a ****ING KRULL BOARDGAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also a MISS PIGGY PUPPET, which a lot of us gay kids recall quite fondly.

there was a lot of gratuitous nudity in this movie, I will take the time to tell you all that THE KILLER in SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT has the cutest butt in all horror slayerdom- although to be fair, he doesn't have a lot of competition.

as far as I'm concerned, two leitmotifs that are hard to fail in a horror movie are:

1. Santa with an axe

and

2. Nuns

And this movie has both of 'em, although I kinda wish they had maybe rented NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and tried to do a sort of LILLIAN GISH thing with THE MOTHER SUPERIOR CHARACTER.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

What a VILE, prurient , DEGENERATE piece of TRASH.

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Underground at it's best.

I also could not help but GEEK OUT at several of THE TOYS ON DISPLAY in the 1984 TOYSTORE-

Sometimes it's these unexpected surprises that matter more than the story.

1. Santa with an axe

and

2. Nuns

When you break anything down to it's basic elements like this, people are either on board or off. 

I'm on board just to see how a filmmaker would execute this; I imagine the pitch meeting, the casting, shooting of the movie. I like finding the sincerity in a movie. Nothing's more of a bore than exploitation, whether it be nudity/language/gore.

• Thanks 2

12/17 as aforementioned, there is no UNDERGrOUND tonight, and I don't see why.

In its place we have WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? [which OHMYGOD I AM SO SICK OF, I DON'T CARE IF IT NEVER EVER GETS SHOWN AGAIN EVER EVER EVER) and a GEORGE MELIES DOCUMENTARY, which I might watch.

not ending the year on a high note here.

• Like 1

at the risk of angering the moderators, I'll also post this rare good episode of the TV series TALES FROM THE CRYPT starring the late MARY ELLEN TRAINOR (who is excellent) and BENNY FROM LA LAW as THE NE PLUS ULTRA OF "BAD SANTAS":

(IT'S much better than the earlier JOAN COLLINS version:)

(note, there is a little yellow line in the timeplay that denotes where you can click in order TO AVOID THE CRYPT KEEPER AND HIS IDIOTIC CHATTER which I always recommend)

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 6:07 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Sorry to be a NEGATIVE NANCY, but seriously, has anyone else noticed how the next month or so is just repeats, and not very good ones at that?

It seems as if this programming block is now the SILENT SUNDAY REDHEADED STEPCHILD of the TCM LINE UP?

Hostless,

Unloved.

Drifting.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

The repeats are occurring on every channel that shows movies.  TCM is no exception.  And, they CHARGE for this crap!

My underground wish list :

attack of the giant leeches 

the killer shrews

plan 9 from outer space

bride of the monster 

the violent years

the blob 1958 

Carnival of souls 1962

Night of the living dead 1968

the screaming skull

i bury the living

the hunchback of the morgue

tombs of the blind dead (maybe for TCM Imports during Halloween)

Silent night , bloody night (show it in December every year)

the terror 1963 

Jesse James meets Frankenstein’s daughter 

Dracula vs Frankenstein 1971 or ‘72

kill , baby , kill - Mario Bava

Santo and blue demon movies 

bad spaghetti westerns from the 60s

On 12/10/2021 at 2:15 PM, cmovieviewer said:

Saw this twitter post with the lineup for TCM Underground late this evening.  Next Friday is devoted to the National Film Registry, with the following week Christmas Eve and then New Year’s, so tonight is the last TCM Underground of the year.

DYKz4aF.jpg

Silent night , deadly night. What a disturbing awful movie.

reason why I never tune in since underground changed.