Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Didn't they used to have a late-night weekend host, before the "Underground" concept came about?   I think it was essentially the same type of programming - just not branded that way?  My memory is fuzzy on this.

I've been watching since 2010 or so, but don't recall a late-night host during that time.  Not sure if they had a host before that or not.  Perhaps some of the other 'veteran' viewers can answer...

9 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Didn't they used to have a late-night weekend host, before the "Underground" concept came about?   I think it was essentially the same type of programming - just not branded that way?  My memory is fuzzy on this.

Rob Zombie hosted TCM Underground back in 2006 when it started, but he didn't last long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

I've been watching since 2010 or so, but don't recall a late-night host during that time.  Not sure if they had a host before that or not.  Perhaps some of the other 'veteran' viewers can answer...

I found the answer on Wikipedia.

TCM Underground is a weekly late-night cult film showcase airing on Turner Classic Movies. Developed by former TCM marketing director Eric Weber, it was originally hosted by industrial rock/heavy metal musician and independent filmmaker Rob Zombie. The movies were programmed by Eric Weber until 2007, when TCM programmer Millie De Chirico took over the role.

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Rob Zombie hosted TCM Underground back in 2006 when it started, but he didn't last long.

Thanks.  I found his name in the Wikipedia article just before you posted your response.

20 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I agree that Underground would be better if they could do a weekly host.

Ugh I remember the Rob Zombie days, he was just too much into how cool he thought himself & not the movies.

The best TV movie hosts imho,  make you feel as if you're watching the movie with them. I'd rather they not be judgmental or diminish the movie's efforts but remain respectful and interested in discussing the movie's history.

For example, I don't care for labeling every movie as "cult classics" or "camp" because it denigrates who worked on it or those who truly like a movie. (exception-Sharknado, it was meant to be bad-what an insulting  concept) I don't want negative opinions or spoilers, would YOU do that when showing someone a movie the first time?

A host for Underground would be a tightrope, but I do think possible. Steve Hayes the Tired Old Queen at the Movies could host Underground well with his enthusiasm for off the wall movies & classic film knowledge.

• Thanks 1

On Rob Zombie, I remember posting here after his first few episodes that he came off looking and sounding like a high schooler giving an oral report to his English class on a book that only mildly interested him. 

• Like 1

I guess I missed FEMALE TROUBLE.

I have something terrible to admit...

I can't stand JOHNNY CASH'S music...

and lest you think I am not versed in the genre, I am verymuchso, in fact I love HANK WILLIAMS.

I just can't stand JOHNNY CASH's voice or his songs.

maybe i'll try to watch him as an actor...

it's funny though, when i looked this morning on TCM ON DEMAND, it has HELL NIGHT and some CORMAN FILM starring a YOUNG GUY WHO PLAYED MURRAY FUDDERMAN IN "GREMLINS" AND I SHOULD KNOW HIS NAME, BUT I DON'T AND I'M TOO LAZY TO GOOGLE.

He's a very good actor though.

It's 'DICK MILLER'.  

@Lorna:  Check out the late ROY DRUSKY's version of "Red Red Wine" on YouTube if you have a couple of minutes.  There's no shortage of recordings of this song, but Roy does it rather well. 

• Thanks 1

I  remember watching Five Minutes to Live on YT a few years ago. It was funny seeing Johnny as a nutcase. Like many hostage

movies, the hostager stays around too long  and  the dullness cancels  out the fun of the psychotic, like the guest who stays at

the party way too long. But as  a one off it was pretty entertaining. I  like Johnny Cash as  a musician. One Piece  at a Time is one

of  his best and funniest songs.

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 5:23 PM, mr6666 said:

It is interesting (maybe only to me) that TCM’s tweets have occasionally mentioned a TCM Underground “season,” as in “last time to catch Lust in the Dust (1984) this season.”  A season to me implies a period of time with a defined and recurring beginning and end.  Is a “season” for TCM Underground from January to December, or September to August, or … ???

Inquiring minds want to know.

Lust in the Dust (1984) was also shown on TCM Underground back in November of 2021 if that means anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Lust in the Dust (1984) was also shown on TCM Underground back in November of 2021 if that means anything.

Oh, it means something and I thank you for drawing attention to it.

Also LUST IN THE DUST is one of the more boring UNDERGROUND picks, it didn't need an encore.

On 4/23/2022 at 2:14 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

it's funny though, when i looked this morning on TCM ON DEMAND, it has HELL NIGHT and some CORMAN FILM starring a YOUNG GUY WHO PLAYED MURRAY FUDDERMAN IN "GREMLINS" AND I SHOULD KNOW HIS NAME, BUT I DON'T AND I'M TOO LAZY TO GOOGLE.

He's a very good actor though.

Yes, Dick Miller (who played Murray Futterman in GREMLINS) was in a few Roger Corman movies.

AND . . .both he and Jackie Joseph (Mrs. Futterman in GREMLINS) were in Roger Corman's THE LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. 

• Thanks 1

Speaking of 'campy' . . . I'd feel remiss if I didn't mention a song I heard recently courtesy of YouTube.   I found the song astounding. 

BILL ANDERSON ("Whispering Bill") vocalizes the 1979 country/disco song TRUST ME. 

He doesn't sing the lyrics; he speaks them in a whisper with a disco-type backing.  Must be heard to be believed!  At the 3:55 mark a saxophone kicks in near the end of the 4:13 song.  

I can't help but listen to this song lately; "Whispering Bill" pours it on THICK!  

'nuff said.  I'll crawl back into my hole now . . . :D

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2022 at 11:20 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh, it means something and I thank you for drawing attention to it.

Also LUST IN THE DUST is one of the more boring UNDERGROUND picks, it didn't need an encore.

Thanks for addressing this. I was wondering about the "season" as well. I don't often watch Underground, but with only one or two films per week, it seems like there is a wealth of stuff out there to air without having to repeat within a given season. It seemed odd to me that the TCM tweet made it sound like Lust in the Dust was in the discount bin for entirely too long and the employees were tired of looking at it. Not a very flattering set up, whether you like the film or don't.

• Thanks 1

It looks like TCM has started scheduling exact repeats of previous TCM Underground viewing:

- The ‘Robert Downey Sr.’ lineup shown above is a repeat of the same list of films from January 28.

- Two weeks from now on the evening of May 20th we get another matching set, with She Freak (1967) and The Mutations (1974), the same as what was presented on the evening of December 3, 2021.

- On June 24th another rerun set is scheduled, with Rock ’n’ Roll High School (1979) and Eating Raoul (1982) duplicating what was shown on January 7th.

I may have missed it, but I don’t recall TCM doing exact repeats on TCM Underground like this before.

The flip side is that next Friday TCM is showing 2 premieres on TCM Underground, with the debut of New York Ninja (2021) and American Ninja (1985), so there are still some new films to look forward to in between the repeats.

• Thanks 3

I tried to watch that WILLEM DAFOE flick they showed last week but it was, like, snoozeville man. 

Although I have to admit that I found it fascinating that Willem Dafoe has apparently been 52 years old forever. Seriously, he’s like an American Klaus Kinski.

(I really wish they had let him play the green goblin without the mask. Maybe they tried, but it was too terrifying.)

• Haha 2