Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

27 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

Actually I made a mistake too. I somehow saw  "ROCK N ROLL HIGH SCHOOL II" as ROCK N ROLL HIGH SCHOOL!! 😂

Stupid bifocals

Yes, but MY MISTAKE is what caused yours, so it's all around my fault.

...or maybe the fault is with the filmmakers for not making a more memorable movie...(MARY WURONOV aside)

• Like 1

The film which just aired this afternoon, DELINQUENT DAUGHTERS, would fit in perfectly in the Underground time slot, lol.

• Like 2
On 6/28/2021 at 9:08 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

do we need to see WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN again?

That is a remarkably forgettable movie.  I watched it last night, determined to get through it, thinking I hadn't seen all of it.  I had seen all of it.  It is just completely pointless, anti-climactic forgettable drivel.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

[WHATS THE MATTER WITH HELEN?] is a remarkably forgettable movie.  I watched it last night, determined to get through it, thinking I hadn't seen all of it.  I had seen all of it.  It is just completely pointless, anti-climactic forgettable drivel.  

The trailer (and Poster!!) to the movie also completely give away the ending, which is (I guess) kind of a surprise – or at least it would be if you hadn’t already seen the trailer or the poster in the lobby. 

The costume design was nominated for an Oscar in what I assume was an incredibly “off” year for costume design.

as such, I think they have actually aired ...HELEN? during OSCAR MONTH To add just one more slap in the face

• Haha 3

If I recall correctly, Debbie Reynolds used to tell a story about picking up Shelley Winters on an LA street corner every morning on their way to shoot this movie. Apparently Shelley said “bye-bye” during the making of this...(And from what I’ve heard remained completely Insane for the rest of her life) 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

If I recall correctly, Debbie Reynolds used to tell a story about picking up Shelley Winters on an LA street corner every morning on their way to shoot this movie. Apparently Shelley said “bye-bye” during the making of this...(And from what I’ve heard remained completely Insane for the rest of her life) 

She was always entertaining on The Tonight Show, though...

49 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The trailer (and Poster!!) to the movie also completely give away the ending

I think the movie is infamous for that stupid marketing mistake. 

When the film was new, I remember the trailer... that's because it is more memorable and better than the film.  Dumb film. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

**Correction, I looked it up on the Internet. Debbie Reynolds claims to have come upon Shelley Winters in her nightgown trying to flag down a ride on Santa Monica Blvd. on one occasion during the filming of this movie.

So... they had to dub in the "You've Got Someone" piano music at the end 'cause the actor who played HELEN was not just acting crazy but was so crazy she couldn't play the piano anymore...as in actually hit the piano keys when we hear notes? 

• Like 1

I find most of the offerings on TCMU to be, as Lennon said of Jesus' disciples, thick and ordinary.

Others are just tiresome and dull. I saw WTMWH a few years back. Pretty bad. I've never gone

for the name Underground. Should be Boring and Tiresome Low-Budget Junk That Bombed When

They Were Released. FYI, Winters wasn't trying to hitch a ride while standing on the street corner.

She was trying to pick up some extra dough from nearsighted or drunk or both sailors. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I wish they'd show DEATHDREAM aka DEAD OF NIGHT ... I do like a spook-show late night.

Deathdream.jpg

I wish they'd show more Blaxploitation... I have enjoyed 2 or 3 awesome PAM GRIER on late nite TCM like COFFY and FOXY BROWN.  They're repulsive, gross, violent... (I love them).  I guess movies like last night's (HELEN) are old tires must be worn out 'til flat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I wish they'd show DEATHDREAM aka DEAD OF NIGHT ... I do like a spook-show late night.

Deathdream.jpg

I wish they'd show more Blaxploitation... I have enjoyed 2 or 3 awesome PAM GRIER on late nite TCM like COFFY and FOXY BROWN.  They're repulsive, gross, violent... (I love them).  I guess movies like last night's (HELEN) are old tires must be worn out 'til flat. 

i think the same guy who later directed A CHRISTMAS STORY directed this. i caught some of it on a streaming service recently, but it was very slow-paced and i quit it. maybe i'll try to watch it again.

18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

She was trying to pick up some extra dough from nearsighted or drunk or both sailors.

re: 1970s SHELLEY WINTERS.

I know plenty of guys who'd "hit it"

You live in North Carolina as well, so i know you know plenty too.

(Plus she'd be VERRRRRY POPULAR in Mexico....)

YOU KNOW how SHIRLEY MACLAINE as DEBBIE REYNOLDS in POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE has that line when she's putting on make-up in the hospital after her wreck  about how THE STUDIO SHAVED HER EYEBROWS AND THEY NEVER GREW BACK?

i wonder if that is a reference to WHATS THE MATTER WITH HELEN?

See the source image

According to wikipedia, SHELLEY WINTERS was such a handful on set that they threatened to replace her with  GERALDINE PAGE in what I can only assume was the hollowest of hollow threats, unless they had someone hiding in her bushes with a tranquilizer dart I can't imagine GERALDINE would even bother taking your calls in re: this particular property. 

• Haha 2
33 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i think the same guy who later directed A CHRISTMAS STORY directed this. i caught some of it on a streaming service recently, but it was very slow-paced and i quit it. maybe i'll try to watch it again.

Yes, BOB CLARK.  I own it on DVD, 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

re: 1970s SHELLEY WINTERS.

I know plenty of guys who'd "hit it"

You live in North Carolina as well, so i know you know plenty too.

(Plus she'd be VERRRRRY POPULAR in Mexico....)

Maybe for those who like the pleasantly plump. I think it

would be more loyal to wait to see if Ava Gardner showed up.

• Thanks 1

I could offer up a number of movies that would fit with the motif of  'TCM Underground' . . . but might be too sleazy or gory to be aired by Turner Classic. 

SATAN'S BLOOD (1978-Spanish)  [aka:  "Escalofrio"].  I bought a VHS release of this filmed-in-Spain movie years ago and watched it . . . This film is overloaded with nudity, sex, Satanic rituals and devil worshipers as an unwary couple visit a country house (with their dog in tow) to meet up with some new acquaintances.  You'll need a bath after this one.  And watch out for the porcelain doll! 

One thing to note, however, is the tape I bought is dubbed into English -- the later DVD release may be in Spanish with English subtitles.  This movie may be too much for TCM to air, but it's a barrel of unbelievably sleazy fun.  ***Highly Recommended*** for fans of unabashed sleaze.  :)

SATAN'S SLAVE (1976-UK).  A 'Norman J. Warren' movie.  There's at least 2 versions of this movie extant, btw.  A country estate is the scene of all manner of grisly goings-on because dem dastardly Devil worshipers are afoot and they have plans . . . plus there's a young man -- who just happens to be a psycho -- doing all kinds of mean things.  With Michael Gough, Candace Glendenning, Martin Potter.   

MAGDALENA, vom Teufel besessen (1974-West German).  Oh no!  Poor Magdalena ends up Po-Zessed by The Devil!  Say it ain't so!  But it IS!!  She tells the local priest where to stuff the Communion wafer.  Magdalena also vomits up a snake just for the Hell of it and does a variety of nasty things.  The version I've seen was the dubbed-in-English release.    

RING OF DARKNESS (1979-Italian).   LESSON GLEANED FROM THIS FILM:  Don't make a pact with Satan as the pact will also affect your children as Anne Heywood finds out.   Her daughter begins acting up in very mean ways.  How to break the Pact?  Well, shucks, that won't be an easy task.       

SHADOW OF ILLUSION (1970-Italian).  It's better to see this movie than to have someone describe it.  There is a cult involved in the proceedings who have notions of involving Daniela Giordano in their rituals -- but she's understandably not interested.   That fact, however, does not stop the cultists!   

THE HOUSE THAT VANISHED is also a load of fun and is chock full of sleaze.   

• Thanks 1

Remember- UNDERGROUND was presumably created for the "orphans" bundled in studio rental packages. If you want to rent a classic movie package from a distributor, there's always a few stinkers thrown in. In other words, for a TV station to rent THE WIZARD OF OZ they also have to take WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN as part of the "package".  And then, how often the movie is broadcast is part of the agreement, which is why you may see the same movie scheduled 2 days in a row.

I for one have recorded two Undergrounds as a double feature last month-MAGIC '78 & THE STEPFATHER '87. As a young adult I was busy building my profession in the 80's/90's and rarely saw films. I love the Underground for being able to catch up with some really wild movies I had missed & aren't available at my library.

Although I just borrowed  SISTERS '72 & THE LAST OF SHIELA '73 from the library to catch up with the 70's, since I was still when they came out in school & never saw "adult" or "horror" movies either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Remember- UNDERGROUND was presumably created for the "orphans" bundled in studio rental packages. If you want to rent a classic movie package from a distributor, there's always a few stinkers thrown in. In other words, for a TV station to rent THE WIZARD OF OZ they also have to take WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN as part of the "package".  And then, how often the movie is broadcast is part of the agreement, which is why you may see the same movie scheduled 2 days in a row.

I for one have recorded two Undergrounds as a double feature last month-MAGIC '78 & THE STEPFATHER '87. As a young adult I was busy building my profession in the 80's/90's and rarely saw films. I love the Underground for being able to catch up with some really wild movies I had missed & aren't available at my library.

Although I just borrowed  SISTERS '72 & THE LAST OF SHIELA '73 from the library to catch up with the 70's, since I was still when they came out in school & never saw "adult" or "horror" movies either. 

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Thank you for explaining the term "orphans". That is a word another poster has used about 600,000 times on here without, to my knowledge, ever explaining it, maybe assuming I was smarter than I am.

I HAVE ALSO NOTICED that A LOT of films featured on TCM UNDERGROUND IN THE LAST YEAR  have shown up on A LOT of different streaming services- MOTEL HELL, VIRUS, THE STEPFATHER and a majority of films that have played in the last few months are all on TUBI, AMAZON PRIME, PLUTO, and various boutique streaming services, right along with a lot of PUBLIC DOMAIN titles and "stalwarts" like TERROR TRAIN and PROM NIGHT (both of which EAT.)

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I HAVE ALSO NOTICED that A LOT of films featured on TCM UNDERGROUND IN THE LAST YEAR  have shown up on A LOT of different streaming services- MOTEL HELL, VIRUS, THE STEPFATHER and a majority of films that have played in the last few months are all on TUBI, AMAZON PRIME, PLUTO, and various boutique streaming services, right along with a lot of PUBLIC DOMAIN titles and "stalwarts" like TERROR TRAIN and PROM NIGHT (both of which EAT.)

That's because they're cheap, cheap, cheap for the station/network/whatever to lease for broadcast or streaming!