Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I figure Charles Boyer *must* have watched some of those PEPE LE PEW cartoons at some point during his lifetime . . . and I wonder if he got a chuckle out of them?  😆

He probably thought they were making fun of MAURICE CHEVALIER and laughed so hard he blew a gasket like an ‘86 Peugeot. 

(And to be fair, I’ve always felt like Pepe was modeled more on Maurice.)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Good point; I reckon PEPE LE PEW was a combination of both of them. 

In real life, Maurice was a skunk, BOYER was (by all accounts) an awesome guy. 

poor Pepe, I read where he got all his scenes deleted from the new SPACE JAM movie-  for exactly the reasons you would think.

(I imagine they didn’t even try it with SLOWPOKE RODRIGUEZ. )

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Good point; I reckon PEPE LE PEW was a combination of both of them. 

I always thought so.  When he's walking along jauntily and singing, that seems to be a spoof on Chevalier (cocked straw hat, strolling along, for example).  But when he's clutching that poor cat and getting, uh, revved up, that seems more like Boyer, as Boyer had that guttural voice.

Boyer kind of made fun of his image on an episode of I Love Lucy, so I doubt he minded much.

According to the Wikipedia article, Pepe was based on the personality of Tedd Pierce, a writer with WB cartoons.   Apparently he fancied himself a ladies man.  The article also says when the cartoons were dubbed in French, Pepe had an Italian accent in a spoof of Yves Montand!  I didn't know he was Italian, but he was born in Tuscany (as Ivo Livi) and moved to France as a young child.  I guess to French audiences he had an odd accent?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Did anyone else here watch the recent program of Curtis Harrington shorts? I began wondering if TCM Underground could feature a similar program of Kenneth Anger films.

They’ve come up in my feed, but having seen WHATS THE MATTER WITH HELEN? and his later RUBY (with a slumming PIPER LAURIE) I have to admit, I’m not exactly hungry for more of his work.

I understand he did a lot for classic film preservation, but damn that dude couldn’t direct lemmings off a cliff.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

although I must say that the answer to my question seems to indeed be "TCM is struggling to keep with with the streaming content and 10,000 channels with 100,000 offerings all while navigating their timeless issue of acquiring legal broadcast rights and digital copies of films that are often "orphaned" ergo UNDERGROUND has been a smorgasbord of the same ole same ole because that's what's included with the packaging for everything else they show."

(I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just saying it's depressing)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

one of the more interesting films they showed on UNDERGROUND (within the past couple of years) was ALONE IN THE DARK, a 1982 thriller with JACK PALANCE and MARTIN LANDAU and MURDOCK from THE 1-TEAM.

Yes, and because of Palance and Landau, this was a cut above most 1980s slasher movies. And both would be Oscar winners in the next decade!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

They’ve come up in my feed, but having seen WHATS THE MATTER WITH HELEN? and his later RUBY (with a slumming PIPER LAURIE) I have to admit, I’m not exactly hungry for more of his work.

I understand he did a lot for classic film preservation, but damn that dude couldn’t direct lemmings off a cliff.

I listened to everyone's advice from here and avoided  Helen like the plague. I saw there were a bunch of shorts after though so not realizing they were by the same director I recorded them. I gotta say I was highly impressed! (especially after I looked Harrington up and found out about Helen and some of the other mainstream work he did)

Harrington showed remarkable skills as a filmmaker in these shorts. Very avant garde and surreal. His earlier black and white shorts were very reminiscent of Maya Deren's Meshes of the Afternoon. It didn't surprise me to learn during my research that she had indeed mentored him.

If they're still available Lorna, I highly recommend you give them a watch. Since you seem to appreciate the... offbeat oddities too, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. 

It kinda makes me wonder if it wasn't his ineptitude that caused the Helen/Ruby atrocities but that the poor guy was saddled with trying to get a showroom shine on a steaming pile of po... you get the drift. Because from his independent stuff ol' Curtis definitely had the chops to make quality product!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

I listened to everyone's advice from here and avoided  Helen like the plague. I saw there were a bunch of shorts after though so not realizing they were by the same director I recorded them. I gotta say I was highly impressed! (especially after I looked Harrington up and found out about Helen and some of the other mainstream work he did)

Harrington showed remarkable skills as a filmmaker in these shorts. Very avant garde and surreal. His earlier black and white shorts were very reminiscent of Maya Deren's Meshes of the Afternoon. It didn't surprise me to learn during my research that she had indeed mentored him.

If they're still available Lorna, I highly recommend you give them a watch. Since you seem to appreciate the... offbeat oddities too, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. 

It kinda makes me wonder if it wasn't his ineptitude that caused the Helen/Ruby atrocities but that the poor guy was saddled with trying to get a showroom shine on a steaming pile of po... you get the drift. Because from his independent stuff ol' Curtis definitely had the chops to make quality product!

well damn then, maybe i'll give 'em a looksie!

(and thanks!)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

I listened to everyone's advice from here and avoided  Helen like the plague. I saw there were a bunch of shorts after though so not realizing they were by the same director I recorded them. I gotta say I was highly impressed! (especially after I looked Harrington up and found out about Helen and some of the other mainstream work he did)

Harrington showed remarkable skills as a filmmaker in these shorts. Very avant garde and surreal. His earlier black and white shorts were very reminiscent of Maya Deren's Meshes of the Afternoon. It didn't surprise me to learn during my research that she had indeed mentored him.

If they're still available Lorna, I highly recommend you give them a watch. Since you seem to appreciate the... offbeat oddities too, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. 

It kinda makes me wonder if it wasn't his ineptitude that caused the Helen/Ruby atrocities but that the poor guy was saddled with trying to get a showroom shine on a steaming pile of po... you get the drift. Because from his independent stuff ol' Curtis definitely had the chops to make quality product!

the wild thing about RUBY (1977) is that it MADE $16 MILLION DOLLARS ACCORDING TO WIKIPEDIA!!!! That's GREAT BUSINESS [in 1977 dollars] for a COMMERCIAL FILM let alone one released to drive-ins by an independent producer, and it BAFFLES me because, MAN IS IT A WOOFER!

But it's very similar in some ways to CARRIE from the year before, with PIPER LAURIE playing a sleazy version of her NUTTY MOTHER from the first film- I guess that film had some carryover appeal or SOMETHING!

Image result for RUBY 1977 "IT TASTES LIKE GRAPES AND IT GETS ME THERE!"

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the wild thing about RUBY (1977) is that it MADE $16 MILLION DOLLARS ACCORDING TO WIKIPEDIA!!!! That's GREAT BUSINESS [in 1977 dollars] for a COMMERCIAL FILM let alone one released to drive-ins by an independent producer, and it BAFFLES me because, MAN IS IT A WOOFER!

But it's very similar in some ways to CARRIE from the year before, with PIPER LAURIE playing a sleazy version of her NUTTY MOTHER from the first film- I guess that film had some carryover appeal or SOMETHING!

Image result for RUBY 1977 "IT TASTES LIKE GRAPES AND IT GETS ME THERE!"

The drive-in was where I actually saw this movie (just using that term for it made me throw up in my mouth a little). It wasn't top billed. Might even have been third on the schedule, which would make sense in an effort to drive everyone home early.

Spent the entire time with my head cocked at an angle just like tiny dogs do when they're bewildered. I was afraid to go home because I was sure I must have inadvertently dropped some acid. Only way that... movie (did it again) could have been as bizarre as it was.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...