Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Oops, sorry about the above post. Quoted the wrong person and now I can’t delete it.)

When that happens to ne, I click on "edit" and then back it all out (including the quote box in its entirety) and say something else entirely new to mind. 

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

When that happens to ne, I click on "edit" and then back it all out (including the quote box in its entirety) and say something else entirely new to mind. 

so do i, usually, but when I am on the boards using my phone, for some reason, it will not allow me to delete the text if i quote someone, even if i select all!

If you ever see something ODD or REPEATED or a blank quote from me, JUST KNOW that I am on my phone.

(I vastly prefer posting using my computer)

• Like 1
On 7/8/2021 at 7:34 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

They’ve come up in my feed, but having seen WHATS THE MATTER WITH HELEN? and his later RUBY (with a slumming PIPER LAURIE) I have to admit, I’m not exactly hungry for more of his work.

I understand he did a lot for classic film preservation, but damn that dude couldn’t direct lemmings off a cliff.

I always found it strange given how far out Harrington's films and shorts were that he was hired to direct a few episodes of Dynasty around 1984.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, mr6666 said:

I remember thinking that Remember My Name was a very good film, with a sterling performance from Geraldine Chaplin (and also the short but striking film debut of the exceptional Alfre Woodard, one of the most dependably good actresses out there working today). It might have been labeled underground, but it also works as a neo-noir. I once remember recommending it to a friend of mine on the internet, but he wasn't as impressed as I was with it, although he didn't hate it. It's also a very rare film. It cannot be released on DVD due to music rights, and was never put on VHS, so the only times when it is visible is when it turns up on TCM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I remember thinking that Remember My Name was a very good film, with a sterling performance from Geraldine Chaplin (and also the short but striking film debut of the exceptional Alfre Woodard, one of the most dependably good actresses out there working today). It might have been labeled underground, but it also works as a neo-noir. I once remember recommending it to a friend of mine on the internet, but he wasn't as impressed as I was with it, although he didn't hate it. It's also a very rare film. It cannot be released on DVD due to music rights, and was never put on VHS, so the only times when it is visible is when it turns up on TCM.

I’m about 45 minutes into it. It’s OK, but Chaplin is interesting, and I actually sat up when I noticed that was Alfre Woodard-  And even more so when I learned her boyfriend was played by the guy who played Bubba the hot cop on the TV show IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. 

BUBBA WAS FINE AS HELL!

It’s extremely well shot, but I keep thinking of the tragic ends of both Perkins and his wife Berry Berenson (she was one of the victims of the September 11 attacks in New York.)

(Also this is kind of ironic because I know the music is the reason the film has rights issues, but I don’t particularly like the music at all. I find it to be a little bit outré !)

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I always found it strange given how far out Harrington's films and shorts were that he was hired to direct a few episodes of Dynasty around 1984.

I don’t know man, DYNASTY Was pretty out there.

There was one season finale where  Claudia was kidnapped by a UFO.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

If it's never been on DVD, it's baffling that TCM can even run it. Another that TCM ran a couple or three years back that can't be gotten on DVD and is rare as hen's teeth on VHS is a movie called Happy New Year that starred Peter Falk. I missed recording it the one time TCM ran it and have been waiting and praying for a re-run ever since. The reason I want it so badly is because an actress I've long been in love with - Wendy Hughes - is her gorgeous self in it. Another Wendy Hughes film I search and search for, to no avail, is the Australian-made My First Wife.

• Thanks 1

I watched Remember My Name for about the first half hour so, not feeling like doing anything else at

that time of the night. Talk about slow moving. This thing makes a glacier seem speedy. Maybe it got

better in the second half, but what I saw of it was just another spouse stalker movie and one that

was pretty unoriginal at that. Not underground, just another flick with bona fide movie stars that

never made much of an impact. I did get a kick out of the hair style of a young Jeff Goldblum. I'm sorry

I missed Bubba. Even he eventually grew to be friends with Virgil Tibbs after a rough beginning.

Can't wait to see The Glory Stompers tonight. Who can resist a title like that. Hey mister, you got some

of that glory? You do. Well we're goin' take your glory and stomp on it, stomp it down to the ground

• Thanks 1

@37Kitties:  If you live in the USA you can find MY FIRST WIFE (1984-Aus) for sale on Amazon.  AMAZON doesn't make it easy to find VHS listings anymore, but the movie was released by 'CONTINENTAL Home Video' circa 1986.  It has been OOP for years as you probably have guessed -- but "My First Wife" can be found depending on the budget you have at your disposal.     

So should you journey to Amazon and narrow your search to 'Movies & Tv'  and then type "vhs MY FIRST WIFE" in the subject line it will come up for sale.   You might have to scroll down the listings a little bit -- but the listing is there and there's 2 of them for sale.  One is $27.00 + $3.99 shipping and the other is $28.75 + $3.99 shipping. 

There are times when Amazon has VHS tapes for sale that are not currently found on eBay; however, nowadays Amazon makes it tricky to find certain VHS releases of movies that are for sale.  Maybe the geniuses who run Amazon think every movie that's ever been issued on VHS has subsequently been released on DVD and/or Blu-Ray, which is definitely not the case. 

→ Recently, I bought a Columbia VHS tape from Amazon of the 1978 television movie "A FAMILY UPSIDE DOWN" starring Fred Astaire and Helen Hayes.  I did not find it on eBay for sale, but I checked Amazon and there was one for sale so I snagged it a few days ago and it will hopefully arrive next week.  I'd almost forgotten that the tape I already had of this tele-film was a ropey copy and not a genuine 'Columbia' videocassette . . . so I figured I'd better try and find a *proper* tape before the VHS release just disappears into the mist.  It looked to be a genuine tape I bought.  I'm keeping my fingers  xxx crossed xxx, anyway! 

There are lots of hard-to-find VHS goodies sitting for sale on Amazon because it is simply difficult to locate some of them; I have found that it helps if I type

vhs A FAMILY UPSIDE DOWN

on the subject line instead of merely "A FAMILY UPSIDE DOWN". 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO:  Anyone else remember the 1978 movie SLOW DANCING IN THE BIG CITY?   I taped it off Cinemax all the way back in 2004 because it had never been made available on ßETA, VHS, DVD and has not been made available on Blu-Ray or 4K in the years since as far as I know.  I suspect the music rights have kept SLOW DANCING IN THE BIG CITY off of any homevideo mediums to date.  I remember hearing the song "I Feel The Earth Move"  by Carole King in the movie; Anne Ditchburn rehearses to it.  

Apparently, music rights issues have kept a small-ish number of movies off of DVD and/or Blu-Ray discs that had VHS releases such as LITTLE DARLINGS (Paramount), LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR (Paramount), AMERICAN HOT WAX (Fotomat).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I watched Remember My Name for about the first half hour so, not feeling like doing anything else at

that time of the night. Talk about slow moving. This thing makes a glacier seem speedy. Maybe it got

better in the second half, but what I saw of it was just another spouse stalker movie and one that

was pretty unoriginal at that. Not underground, just another flick with bona fide movie stars that

never made much of an impact. I did get a kick out of the hair style of a young Jeff Goldblum. I'm sorry

I missed Bubba. Even he eventually grew to be friends with Virgil Tibbs after a rough beginning.

Can't wait to see The Glory Stompers tonight. Who can resist a title like that. Hey mister, you got some

of that glory? You do. Well we're goin' take your glory and stomp on it, stomp it down to the ground

I admit that if it's ANTHONY PERKINS, I don't want to watch.  Like LAURENCE HARVEY (who should remain nameless in certain quarters). 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I've seen THE GLORY STOMPERS before.  It's a barrel of (very) low-grade fun if you're in the right mood.   😀

Yeah, the first time around it's kind of fun but it's hard to think it's going to be any better a second

time around. 

4 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I admit that if it's ANTHONY PERKINS, I don't want to watch.  Like LAURENCE HARVEY (who should remain nameless in certain quarters). 

Harvey once responded to an assertion about himself: "Someone once asked me, 'Why is it so many people hate you?' and I said, 'Do they? How super! I'm really quite pleased about it.'"

I'm  kind of neutral on both actors. They both were in some good films, but they pretty much clunkered out

toward the end. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I watched Remember My Name for about the first half hour so,  I'm sorry I missed Bubba. Even he eventually grew to be friends with Virgil Tibbs after a rough beginning.

you might not have recognized BUBBA (aka actor ALAN AUTRY) in REMEMBER MY NAME, he has curly blonde hair!!!!!!

[tried to post the one picture of him I could find in the movie but it will not post]

here he is as BUBBA:

Alan Autry (@AlanAutry19) | Twitter

15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

better in the second half,

all I can say is LUCKY YOU.

My review is in the I JUST WATCHED thread.

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

you might not have recognized BUBBA (aka actor ALAN AUTRY) in REMEMBER MY NAME, he has curly blonde hair!!!!!!

[tried to post the one picture of him I could find in the movie but it will not post]

here he is as BUBBA:

Alan Autry (@AlanAutry19) | Twitter

That's the man. I didn't even notice his name in the credits (not  that I was paying a lot of attention to

them) so I wasn't looking out for him, especially as a blond.  I can see the appeal of Bubba--good looking

guy with a working out bod and charming for the most part. IOW, a hunka hunka burning love. 

• Thanks 1

all I can say is LUCKY YOU.

My review is in the I JUST WATCHED thread.

I usually gut it out if I've made it halfway through a movie, but I just had to give up on this one.

I read your take and I agree it would have been more interesting to put the three leads way to the

periphery and focus on other characters. Could have been a dramady about working in a second

tier grocery store. That would have been a whole other movie, but it couldn't be much worse than

the original. Could have changed the title to Remember Your Receipt. 

• Thanks 1

I like that!!

(It’s also a very valuable life lesson!)

Yes, though it seems stores keep changing their policies about receipts. When in doubt,

don't throw it out.

Was 'ALAN AUTRY' billed as 'CARLOS BROWN' in REMEMBER MY NAME (1978)?   I recall the 1981 movie SOUTHERN COMFORT and he was billed as 'Carlos Brown' -- which may be his real name?  I suspect he picked 'Alan Autry' as a stage name.  ALSO:   Didn't he become the mayor of Fresno, California at some time?  Without cheating and going to Wikipedia and looking I think Alan Autry won the mayorship of Fresno some 20 years ago. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Was 'ALAN AUTRY' billed as 'CARLOS BROWN' in REMEMBER MY NAME (1978)?   I recall the 1981 movie SOUTHERN COMFORT and he was billed as 'Carlos Brown' -- which may be his real name?  I suspect he picked 'Alan Autry' as a stage name.  ALSO:   Didn't he become the mayor of Fresno, California at some time?  Without cheating and going to Wikipedia and looking I think Alan Autry won the mayorship of Fresno some 20 years ago. 

YOU WIN THE DOOR PRIZE!

ALAN AUTRY was elected to two terms as MAYOR OF GLORIOUS FRESNO, CA, jewel of the WEST COAST. 

He is also a supporter of the 45th (and former) president, so I completely rescind the sexual awakening I had sometime ca. 1990 sparked during the very special episode of IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT where we see BUBBA in a pair of black BVDS.

edit: you also get bonus points because he was indeed billed as CARLOS BROWN for his role in REMEMBER MY NAME. which just adds yet another layer of  irony to the title of that film.

• Haha 1