Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

12 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

They would disagree..

Fresno (miniseries) - Wikipedia

I REMEMBER THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T remember if it was supposed to be a series or just a limited run mini-series, but I loved it- I remember it got disastrous press though!

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I CAN'T remember if it was supposed to be a series or just a limited run mini-series, but I loved it- I remember it got disastrous press though!

It was a mini-series

• Thanks 1

Mickey Rooney was mentioned in another thread the other day and it reminded me of this little chestnut that just screams to be shown on Underground, 1971s the Manipulator (aka B. J. Lang Presents).

It's basically a 88 minute stream of consciousness monologue with Mickey, who I swear had to have eaten a bowlful of 'shrooms before the cameras started rolling. Keenan Wynn has a (very) minor bit part and oh yeah! Tell me THIS doesn't get your blood flowing!

mqdefault.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Citizen Ed said:

Mickey Rooney was mentioned in another thread the other day and it reminded me of this little chestnut that just screams to be shown on Underground, 1971s the Manipulator (aka B. J. Lang Presents).

It's basically a 88 minute stream of consciousness monologue with Mickey, who I swear had to have eaten a bowlful of 'shrooms before the cameras started rolling. Keenan Wynn has a (very) minor bit part and oh yeah! Tell me THIS doesn't get your blood flowing!

mqdefault.jpg

I actually had seen Keenan Wynn in so many absolutely awful films from the 70s and 80s that I had no idea he had any kind of a legit career mid century as a comic and supporting player at MGM.

He is visibly drunk on screen in LASERBLAST and THE DARK. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I almost fell out of my seat when his name came up as a supporting player in a Tracy and Hepburn film.

Absolutely! Looking at his incredibly long list of credits, I was amazed at how many movies I've seen that he was in but don't really recall him in them. He was one of those character actors that were in almost everything you'd watch but was so unobtrusive that you never noticed him until he's pointed out specifically. 

The main reason he sticks out in my mind is his voice acting role as the Winter Warlock from Santa Clause is Coming to Town.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Citizen Ed said:

Looking at his incredibly long list of credits, I was amazed at how many movies I've seen that he was in but don't really recall him in them.

He was definitely memorable (and completely believable) as Colonel Bat Guano in Dr. Strangelove ("I think you're some kinda deviated pre-vert"; "You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company"):

Also, singing "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" with James Whitmore in Kiss Me, Kate:

• Like 3
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

See above post....

MICKEY ROONEY and SAMMY DAVIS, Jr. remind me of one another because neither man could ever sit still for long.  Always busy doing something . . . in Mickey's case by the 1970s it was appearing in a number of low-budget, low-grade movies just to keep moving and  get a paycheck -- even if just a small ticket at the pay window.  

• Like 2

I have never heard of Fresno the parody series, despite being an avid TV watcher of that era. Carol Burnett, Dabney Coleman, Terri Garr, Charles Grodin? A lot of comic genius on that show. I'm grateful for the link above, though I clicked on it, saw the time bar that read four hours and 15 minutes and immediately exited. But maybe someday I will build up the strength to watch enough to at least get a sense of it.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

(sigh)

sorry to be a Negative Nancy, but this coming SAT/SUN Underground is the most disappointing offering yet.

back when i started this thread, I looked up the coming UNDERGROUND SCHEDULE and it was SO UNDERWHELMING and SO chock-FULL of MEDIOCRE REPEATS (many of which are NOT UNDERGROUND FILMS to begin with)that I literally had no desire at all to even copy and paste it here.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(sigh)

sorry to be a Negative Nancy, but this coming SAT/SUN Underground is the most disappointing offering yet.

back when i started this thread, I looked up the coming UNDERGROUND SCHEDULE and it was SO UNDERWHELMING and SO chock-FULL of MEDIOCRE REPEATS (many of which are NOT UNDERGROUND FILMS to begin with)that I literally had no desire at all to even copy and paste it here.

Piranha and the Swarm.. huh?!

I've seen the Swarm. I shan't make that mistake twice.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Stick with THE DEADLY BEES (1967-UK), Citizen Ed.  It may be cheesy, but it's a lot more fun than the awful-ness that is "The Swarm".  Did you know there is a 156-minute version of "The Swarm" that fleshes out various plot points that -- sometimes obviously -- were chop/ped from the 116-minute theatrical print?  I don't know if TCM has ever shown the 156-minute version.  (I don't think they have).  

I also believe the badness that is "The Swarm" and "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure" is the reason James Goldstone directed "When Time Ran Out . . . " instead of Irwin Allen.  I don't think Warner would have OK'ed "WHEN TIME RAN OUT . . . " with Allen as director.  

PIRANHA is fun even if "The Swarm" isn't.   

• Thanks 3
9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE SWARM is not an UNDERGROUND FILM either.

Not with that ALL STAR CAST!!! LOL.

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST with -or- without the 'turtle-killing' scene?   (P.S.  I've seen "Cannibal Holocaust" with the turtle-killing scene.  The poor turtle).   

• Like 1