Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Permanent Host of Jeopardy

Personally, I think Levar Burton might be a guest host on Jeopardy, but never the permanent host.

As for the guest hosts, I would prefer they bring out past Jeopardy competitors and winners.  I know he is on The Chase, but Brad would make a good guest host.  I would also like to see what Pat Sajak could do because he interviews contestants on Wheel of Fortune.  There were some past female competitors who had a great deal of personality (and would know how to pronounce some of the clues) - Lily Chen?

The winnings are going to charity.

Opinions on this whole guest/permanent host on Jeopardy.

Part 2 of Question, would you consider hosting Jeopardy yourself?

• Like 1

Levar Burton feels the show would somehow "benefit" with a permanent African-American host.  But I don't think any permanent host should be chosen based on that sort of criteria.  But that doesn't mean I oppose any permanent host that might be African-American.

The past champions idea appeals to me as well.

And who is this BRAD to whom you refer?

And I'd never consider hosting that show.  I haven't the chops and I'd get bored having to say "alliterative" as many times as they use that word on the show.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Brad is Brad Rutter (?).  He has won more money on Jeopardy than any other contestant.  He is now on The Chase.  When they had the Tournament of Champions, they used Fuzzy or Buzzy Cohen.

I wouldn't want to host the show either (or be a contestant).  My Mom was on Jeopardy when Art Fleming hosted and it was filmed in NYC.  I do fairly well on Jeopardy depending upon the categories (and sometimes they seem skewed toward one contestant); however,  I wouldn't know my know my own name and I prefer hearing about other people's lives rather than tell my own.

As far as permanent host, people are still grieving for Alex Trebek (and I get reruns of him on Sat. night).  

On another subject, tonight NBC runs College Bowl with Peyton Manning hosting.  I remember when Betty White's husband, Allen, hosted.  Those questions were way more difficult than Jeopardy.  Please, even at 99, Betty White would make a better host.  We don't need Peyton's mindless schtick1

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Brad is Brad Rutter (?).  He has won more money on Jeopardy than any other contestant.  He is now on The Chase.  When they had the Tournament of Champions, they used Fuzzy or Buzzy Cohen.

I wouldn't want to host the show either (or be a contestant).  My Mom was on Jeopardy when Art Fleming hosted and it was filmed in NYC.  I do fairly well on Jeopardy depending upon the categories (and sometimes they seem skewed toward one contestant); however,  I wouldn't know my know my own name and I prefer hearing about other people's lives rather than tell my own.

As far as permanent host, people are still grieving for Alex Trebek (and I get reruns of him on Sat. night).  

On another subject, tonight NBC runs College Bowl with Peyton Manning hosting.  I remember when Betty White's husband, Allen, hosted.  Those questions were way more difficult than Jeopardy.  Please, even at 99, Betty White would make a better host.  We don't need Peyton's mindless schtick1

One odd fact:  Both Art Fleming and Alex Trebek died from pancreatic cancer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Brad is ok, however, of the 3 during the champ tournaments he won the least amount compared to james and Ken Jennings. Brad may have been the big money winner in the past but not in the recent tournaments.

Pat Sajak, no way. I think Wheel of Fortune is about as far as he can go. I doubt he could pronounce most of the wording in the questions.

We also watch Alex on re-runs many Sat nights. I do ok, not great when I watch and yes it all depends on the categories. What I do find is that most times I get the final Jeopardy answer correct. But again, if it's a question in a category I don't know well, then forget about it LOL. although many times just a small amount of knowledge and some logical thinking can get the correct answer, especially in Final Jeopardy

To answer your question,   no, I wouldn't be able or want to host Jeopardy. I remember the College Bowl  and when Art Fleming hosted Jeopardy. .

• Like 1

My vote goes to one of the Clue Crew as host. I love the former winner idea, but I also like the idea of a total unknown who's just really good.

I'd love to host myself, but could never be a contestant because there are too many whole categories I don't know, like "popular music" or "supreme court justices". My dad was on the show back when I was in High School, but he has a PhD :)

• Like 1

Maybe I'm not being critical enough here, but I think all the guest hosts have been good. Well, at least I've never found myself thinking any of them were ill-suited for the gig, anyway. 

I thought Buzzy Cohen (or as I think of him "The Modern Day Harold Lloyd"...am I RIGHT or what?!...and NOT just because of the glasses...saaay, maybe I'll put these two in that "Lookalikes" thread...but I digress) was especially good at it and showed a lot of personality when he hosted.

(...and yeah, I think it'd be fun hosting it myself...well, as long as I wouldn't "digress" too much anyway, and which of course COULD be a problem...well, besides pronoucing all those foreign words and phrases and which Alex was always so good at) 

• Like 2

I love the Harold Lloyd comment.  Ken Jennings is now a producer on the show.  As for Brad, when my Mom and I watched (she was still alive then), it seems like he thought the whole idea was stupid.  So was that one with the different teams on it.  The Scripps Spelling Bee will be airing in July - There have been several movies (The Bee Season, for example) and even a Frasier episode about spelling bees.  Even as an English Major, I sometimes  have to question my American English spelling.

I don't have a favorite among the guest hosts (and, with my NY Times Clue of the Day, which you can find at the Jeopardy website, I knew the answer to tonight's Final Jeopardy).  

I like that the more the contestants win, the more money is donated to charity.  I was disappointed that Savannah didn't have a Roger Federer category (or have him read some clues - we are both Roger Fans).

Dargo, you would probably make a good host/guest host.  As for digressing, some of Jeopardy must be scripted, because the guest hosts have been adding little tidbits of info whether the contestants guessed the right answer or not.  Most viewers, myself included, want them to get through as many questions on the board as possible.  I would love to see what 5 or 10 outfits you chose.  Mayim Bialik has her take on religious covering (she is Jewish).  That is why you won't see her with bare arms.  However, unlike some Orthodox Jews I know, she will show her knees.

Interesting note about Levar Burton (who will be a guest host).  Like many other actors and actresses, he was the purported (right word) start of the Star Trek reboot; however, Patrick Stewart became the star.  Same thing (rhyming here) with West Wing.  I don't think Rob Lowe was happy when Martin Sheen stole the show from him (phenomenal actor).

Well first of all here, chaya:

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Even as an English Major, I sometimes  have to question my American English spelling.

Never EVER "question" your continued practice of spelling certain words exclusive of that oh so useless and extremely unneccesary superfluous letter 'u'. You're doing just fine as you have been doing lo these many years. And also, never EVER question your spelling of words such as "center" and "theater", as I hope you know that the manner in which the Brits spell them with the 'e' and the 'r' reversed makes absolutely no sense at all either and never has!  ;)

And secondly:

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Dargo, you would probably make a good host/guest host.  As for digressing, some of Jeopardy must be scripted, because the guest hosts have been adding little tidbits of info whether the contestants guessed the right answer or not. 

Thanks for the compliment here.

And re your "digressing" comment, it has reminded me to say here that I've become quite appreciative whenever I hear some of the guest hosts mentioning and adding the first names to the contestants' answers of historic figures after the contentants answer the questions correctly by use of only the figure's surname, and which as you know in most cases they are only required to do.

(...and which has not always been the case, and even when the irreplaceable Alex Trebek was hosting)

• Like 1

Y'know, I don't do too bad answering along with the show.  But not that great either.  My wife once asked why don't I try to get on the show, and I told her, "Would be just my luck that if I did,  most of the categories would be math and science, and most of the science clues would involve the periodic table!"  :o  

Sepiatone

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Y'know, I don't do too bad answering along with the show.  But not that great either.  My wife once asked why don't I try to get on the show, and I told her, "Would be just my luck that if I did,  most of the categories would be math and science, and most of the science clues would involve the periodic table!"  :o  

Sepiatone

So, pretty much the opposite sort of thing that one Cliff Clavin ran into the time he was on the program, eh Sepia?!  ;)

(...well, in his case, in an imagined sort of way, anyway)

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

Maybe I'm not being critical enough here, but I think all the guest hosts have been good. Well, at least I've never found myself thinking any of them were ill-suited for the gig, anyway. 

I thought Buzzy Cohen (or as I think of him "The Modern Day Harold Lloyd"...am I RIGHT or what?!...and NOT just because of the glasses...saaay, maybe I'll put these two in that "Lookalikes" thread...but I digress) was especially good at it and showed a lot of personality when he hosted.

(...and yeah, I think it'd be fun hosting it myself...well, as long as I wouldn't "digress" too much anyway, and which of course COULD be a problem...well, besides pronoucing all those foreign words and phrases and which Alex was always so good at) 

I've liked all the hosts  too. Thought they've all done a good job. I thought Aaron Rodgers did a very job of hosting. Buzzy was fine, Ken was too. No one will ever be as good as Alex was but Jeopardy has to continue and we'll have to like and accept the new host.

• Like 3

Cliff Clavin - how I miss Cheers.  I remember Who Are Three People Who Have Never Been In My House.

As for Jeopardy and inconsistencies.  Sometimes you need to give the full name and sometimes whoever wrote the "questions" may not know that there was an Elder and a Younger or a father and son.  Case in point:  The two Dumas.  The father wrote The 3 M's and the son wrote the Lady of the Camilias (sp?), which became a vehicle for Garbo as Camille.  Now mentioning Garbo is what really depresses me:  when the contestants have this strange look on their vase when the question is Garbo or a film like Mr. Roberts.

Y'know, JEOPARDY is facing the same problem TCM recently faced.  A show (or network in this case too) has a well loved and respected host for so long that when they're gone( for whatever reason) it's difficult to find an easily accepted replacement.  People in these forums are STILL niggling over what new host or hostess they like better or hate with a passion and still wish Robert was still with us.  And SHANK doesn't want to see a celebrity take the reins at Jeopardy.  I get that.  It's like DREW CAREY taking over THE PRICE IS RIGHT after BOB BARKER retired.   The show's doing well enough with him at the helm, but sure, it's not really the same.  I like Drew as a comedian and entertainer, but he does lack the charisma Barker had.  

But even if they choose a replacement for Alex that had hosted game shows in the past, I'd be OK with it.

As long as it isn't CHUCK WOOLERY!  ;)

5 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I would like to see Levar Burton become the permanent host

Why?

Sepiatone

9 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And come to think of it, Alex Trebek was a Canadian celebrity of sorts when HE took over the show.

Sepiatone

He had hosted many game shows in the US, mostly on NBC, before he was hired to host Jeopardy!

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

And why is that? At this point Ken Jennings and all the tournament winners are celebrities.Newcasters are celebrities and so on. Who's left?

It's one thing to become a celebrity from the show, but i just  think bringing in someone who is already an entertainer cheapens the position somehow.  I heard that one of the producers who stepped in was actually really good.  They get my vote.

It's already been pointed out that Alex was already known before he became Jepardy's host. He certainly didn't cheapen Jeoprady LOL. You're certainly entitled to your opinion however, you probably should watch the guest hosts before forming an opinion. Mike Richards was the executive producer who guest hosted Jeopardy and he was fine but since you "heard" he was good and didn't see the show yourself not sure how you can give an educated opinion about who should host. 

As I said before, all the guest hosts I thought did a fine job and when a permanent host is selected I'm sure they will do a fine job as host.

• Sad 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings