Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Plot Thickens Season 2 The Devil’s Candy

David Guercio

Everybody ready for The Plot Thickens Season 2 today?  I sure am.  I’m going to listen a little later today or tonight.  I can’t wait.  Yesterday.  I thought.  I wonder if The Bonfire Of The Vanities ever made it to video?  We’ll probably find out this season.  I’m going to check it out.  Meaning see the movie.  If you can?  Right after I listen this season of course and I hope you all really enjoy this season too.

Thank you.

- TCM premieres film on July 5

:)

&  BTW....

"..........Steven Rea, in The Philadelphia Inquirer, wrote "Big books have been bastardized by Hollywood before – it's a time-honored tradition that counts Hemingway, Faulkner and the scribes of the Old Testament among its victims – but you'd be hard-pressed to find an adaptation that screws up as royally as Brian De Palma's take on The Bonfire of the Vanities.

Miscast, misguided and miserably unfunny, Tom Wolfe's black satire about avarice, prejudice and criminal injustice in the loony-toon town of New York has been raped and stripped of all ambiguity and dimension",

and he ended the review by saying, "What a mess"......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bonfire_of_the_Vanities_(film)

;)

I listened to the first episode today.  It was interesting.  It took a little bit for me to acclimate myself to the journalist's voice who is providing the narration, but it's fine.  I'd heard of Bonfire of the Vanities and was aware that it was notorious for being a bomb, but I didn't know a whole book was written about it.  Even though some of the cassette recordings are hard to decipher, it is interesting that the journalist, Julie Salamon, was able to get all these people on tape and that she had a previous friendship (acquaintance) with Brian DePalma prior to the making of this film.

I can confirm that Bonfire of the Vanities is available on DVD.  I may have it on hold for me at the library.

• Like 1