Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THEY’RE TURNING COSBY LOOSE?!?!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

That's a little less than $47,000 a year. That would be fine for a middle class person, but I doubt it

would be enough for someone with all of Cosby's expenses and style of living. 

He'll have to get use to it, as they say "can't take it with you". 

death-you-can-t-take-it-with-you.jpg

:P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, lydecker said:

Ha. No apologies necessary and yes, the "tells the kid the ice cream contains rat poison" story generally does resonate.

 As for long-gone brain cells, the amount of wine I drank to get through the Trump administration was considerable, so I can totally relate.  

Y'all sound like the network commentators on election night. When you talk like that, MAGA loves it. It was in fact their primary reason for electing trump. Just fyi.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yep. Someone last night on TV reminded me of something I had forgotten. Cosby would occasionally give

public lectures on the moral faults of young people, especially  young black men. Serious ethical lapses

like wearing one's pants too low or cussing too much. What a joke that turned out to be--being lectured

about your behavior by a serial rapist. 

Yes, I know. I remember that! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hamradio said:

He'll have to get use to it, as they say "can't take it with you". 

death-you-can-t-take-it-with-you.jpg

:P

Of course it's too early to tell how this will turn out, but it might be a bumpy ride for Bill.

Losing lots of moolah might make it easier for him to pass through the eye of the needle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I know. I remember that! :D

As the saying goes He could dish it out but he couldn't take it. I saw one opinion piece where the

writer said that Cosby didn't really care that much about helping these folks, he just thought they

made affluent blacks like himself look bad and that's what made him mad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2021 at 2:00 AM, Vautrin said:

As the saying goes He could dish it out but he couldn't take it. I saw one opinion piece where the

writer said that Cosby didn't really care that much about helping these folks, he just thought they

made affluent blacks like himself look bad and that's what made him mad.

as a child of the 80s, I habitually hate-watched THE COSBY SHOW, tiny critic that I was even at the time.

I admit some of this was born out of my lily-white prejudiceS (I've long since gotten over LISA BONET'S nose ring, but I've NEVER gotten past that NEFERTITI/ INVERTED LAMPSHADE hairstyle VANESSA worked in season 6(?) YIKES)

BUT MOVING PAST MY OWN PREJUDICES, THE COSBY SHOW IS actually QUITE PROBLEMATIC (and if it means anything, I really liked A DIFFERENT WORLD.)

There is throughout, ESPECIALLY IN LATER SEASONS, a certain smugness and elitism to it.

THERE is also something disturbingly insular about it- it is a rare sitcom that is set 99.99999% inside the home, they very rarely ever left that house (besides the time VANESSA did the LOCOMOTION and one time when CLIFF took a bunch of kids to a fancy restaraunt and they act the fool...

WHICH brings us to my main problem with the show, which was, just about every episode has a story about one of their kids being ungrateful or dense or oblivious to their priviledge or thoughtless or even outright spoiled and CLIFF AND CLARE proceed to **** and moan about it and it's like, well, who the Hell's fault do you think that is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

as a child of the 80s, I habitually hate-watched THE COSBY SHOW, tiny critic that I was even at the time.

I admit some of this was born out of my lily-white prejudiceS (I've long since gotten over LISA BONET'S nose ring, but I've NEVER gotten past that NEFERTITI/ INVERTED LAMPSHADE hairstyle VANESSA worked in season 6(?) YIKES)

BUT MOVING PAST MY OWN PREJUDICES, THE COSBY SHOW IS actually QUITE PROBLEMATIC (and if it means anything, I really liked A DIFFERENT WORLD.)

There is throughout, ESPECIALLY IN LATER SEASONS, a certain smugness and elitism to it.

THERE is also something disturbingly insular about it- it is a rare sitcom that is set 99.99999% inside the home, they very rarely ever left that house (besides the time VANESSA did the LOCOMOTION and one time when CLIFF took a bunch of kids to a fancy restaraunt and they act the fool...

WHICH brings us to my main problem with the show, which was, just about every episode has a story about one of their kids being ungrateful or dense or oblivious to their priviledge or thoughtless or even outright spoiled and CLIFF AND CLARE proceed to **** and moan about it and it's like, well, who the Hell's fault do you think that is?

 

Don't you mean inside the sound stage? ;)

main-qimg-fc58ee092811eeab4b14c6c49371b7

 

Still can't get over the "can't tell fantasy from reality" guy whom restored The Brady Bunch house which NEVER existed! :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

That was actually done for a reality TV show, and they brought back the cast to "help"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very_Brady_Renovation

Yeah got a reality check while reading about some of the cast personal lives.

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1995-04-18-3040090-story.html

Florence having sex with a 16 year old?

 

In regards to reality!

3157721253_1c59d9a95e_b.jpg

3411820925_8feaba32e8_b.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

as a child of the 80s, I habitually hate-watched THE COSBY SHOW, tiny critic that I was even at the time.

I admit some of this was born out of my lily-white prejudiceS (I've long since gotten over LISA BONET'S nose ring, but I've NEVER gotten past that NEFERTITI/ INVERTED LAMPSHADE hairstyle VANESSA worked in season 6(?) YIKES)

BUT MOVING PAST MY OWN PREJUDICES, THE COSBY SHOW IS actually QUITE PROBLEMATIC (and if it means anything, I really liked A DIFFERENT WORLD.)

There is throughout, ESPECIALLY IN LATER SEASONS, a certain smugness and elitism to it.

THERE is also something disturbingly insular about it- it is a rare sitcom that is set 99.99999% inside the home, they very rarely ever left that house (besides the time VANESSA did the LOCOMOTION and one time when CLIFF took a bunch of kids to a fancy restaraunt and they act the fool...

WHICH brings us to my main problem with the show, which was, just about every episode has a story about one of their kids being ungrateful or dense or oblivious to their priviledge or thoughtless or even outright spoiled and CLIFF AND CLARE proceed to **** and moan about it and it's like, well, who the Hell's fault do you think that is?

I was an adult when The Cosby Show started and didn't have much interest in TV at that time, so I'm pretty

much a Cosby know nothing except for what I read in the papers or magazines. Okay, dude's a well off black

doctor. Zzzzzzz. I still feel a little sorry for the supporting cast. At one time they were very well known, now

they're probably selling home made jewelry on some shopping network. What a drag. 

Yeah, the kids on FKB had a lot of those entitled, selfish problems though on a lower economic scale. And dad

and mom were fairly strict, but these kids today or back then. I always got a laugh when Jim came home and

took off his business jacket and put on a sports coat with patches on the elbow. He's a rebel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 12:08 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

THERE is also something disturbingly insular about THE COSBY SHOW- it is a rare sitcom that is set 99.99999% inside the home, they very rarely ever left that house (besides the time VANESSA did the LOCOMOTION and one time when CLIFF took a bunch of kids to a fancy restaraunt and they act the fool...

To clarify the point I was making, I know sitcoms are shot on soundstages, but almost every other sitcom of the COSBY era or right after that I can think of- THE GOLDEN GIRLS, CHEERS, FRASIER, FRIENDS, FAMILY TIES, 227, THE FACTS OF LIFE, SEINFELD and etc.- had episodes where they LEFT THE HOUSE or the main set and went to another "location" (which I am aware was also a set on the soundstage)- ie the movies, a restaraunt, school, vacation, a murder mystery weekend or even, with THE FACTS OF LIFE, Australia.

Genuinely 99.9999999% of THE COSBY SHOW takes place in that brownstone. They may have gotten out on occasion, but it was VERY RARE and I would bet there are entire seasons where every episode is set entirely in the living room, kitchen, upstairs or the basement sex dungeo- I mean, "Cliff's Office."

and that is stifling, and i cannot imagine writing for a show with that kind of limit in its scope.

also, THE COSBY SHOW shot in BROOKLYN at the same studios where they filmed ANOTHER WORLD (and ONE LIFE TO LIVE?) and I read an interview where someone on the ANOTHER WORLD set mentioned what a mess the Cosby crew would leave after filming on a Friday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Cosby Show is still on TV One and Amazon Prime.

Something worth noting, Disney plus is NOT showing one of their own films "The Devil and Max Devin" (1981).

Don't know why, isn't the film a little accurate now?

the-devil-and-max-devlin-1981-walt-disne

 

Truth be damned I guess. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Genuinely 99.9999999% of THE COSBY SHOW takes place in that brownstone. They may have gotten out on occasion, but it was VERY RARE and I would bet there are entire seasons where every episode is set entirely in the living room, kitchen, upstairs or the basement sex dungeo- I mean, "Cliff's Office."

Sounds like The Honeymooners. Poor Alice hardly ever got out of that tiny Brooklyn apartment:

Alice Kramden:

Oh, I am sorry, Ralph. I forgot, it *is* your house. You really have been very big-hearted, Ralph, sharing it with me, letting me live here with you in the lap of luxury like this. Don't think that I don't appreciate it, Ralph, 'cause I do. After all, where else would I get a beautiful home like this? This place, Ralph, you know what it is? It's a regular Disneyland. [looks out the window] Look, Ralph. Look at this wonderful view that we have from the window. Look, see? Old man Grogan's long underwear hanging on the line, garbage cans in the alley, back of a Chinese restaurant. That's all part of my Disneyland, too, you know, Ralph. That's my... [Ralph groans] That is my Fantasyland. [looks at sink] Now, Ralph, over here, this sink, see? [turns faucet; dishes somehow clatter in sink] Every time I go near that sink, Ralph, I never knows what's gonna happen. You know what the sink is? That's my Adventureland. [points to stove and icebox] That stove and that icebox, that's Frontierland. There's only one thing, Ralph, that's missing from my Disneyland, only one thing: the world of tomorrow. I have *nothing* from the world of tomorrow.

Ralph Kramden:


You want the world of tomorrow, Alice? You want the world of tomorrow? I'll give ya the world of tomorrow! [holds up fist at Alice] You're going to the moon!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Re:

E5ub6rKWQAIsnnW?format=jpg&name=small

 

Looks like an inspiration for a new TV sitcom..."The Cosby Bunch".

♫ Here's the story of...of some drugged up ladies...

:P

Again,  making fun of other people's pain.    While Cosby's legal rights were infringed and the PA SC made the right call,   I don't see a need to mock women that were likely to have been sexual assaulted  \ abused by Cosby.     But hey,  like Cosby, what ever rocks your boat. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Again,  making fun of other people's pain.    While Cosby's legal rights were infringed and the PA SC made the right call,   I don't see a need to mock women that were likely to have been sexual assaulted  \ abused by Cosby.     But hey,  like Cosby, what ever rocks your boat. 

 

Not mocking women only how NBC designed that.

The silly emoji has a purpose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, hamradio said:

Not mocking women only how NBC designed that.

The silly emoji has a purpose.

Then make it clear how you feel about how NBC designed it. Your emoji does come across that you think the situation is funny and the situation certainly is not funny but horrible for those women. You go over the top with what you think is funny. Your post is inappropriate.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Then make it clear how you feel about how NBC designed it. Your emoji does come across that you think the situation is funny and the situation certainly is not funny but horrible for those women. You go over the top with what you think is funny. Your post is inappropriate.

Oh  brother really! I didn't intend what HAPPENED to them was funny.! 

300px-The_Brady_Bunch.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 6:07 PM, Vautrin said:

I was an adult when The Cosby Show started and didn't have much interest in TV at that time, so I'm pretty

much a Cosby know nothing except for what I read in the papers or magazines. Okay, dude's a well off black

doctor. Zzzzzzz. I still feel a little sorry for the supporting cast. At one time they were very well known, now

they're probably selling home made jewelry on some shopping network. What a drag. 

Yeah, the kids on FKB had a lot of those entitled, selfish problems though on a lower economic scale. And dad

and mom were fairly strict, but these kids today or back then. I always got a laugh when Jim came home and

took off his business jacket and put on a sports coat with patches on the elbow. He's a rebel.

I never watched a single episode of the show. Had no interest. He never appealed to me (even less now). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Too bad the other cast members in "The Cosby Show" have to pay the price for what  Bill did. 

I hate John Agar for what he did to the teenage pregnant Shirley Temple but I would still watch "Fort Apache" because of the other actors.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...