Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Andy Hardy's Private Secretary

JoeMastro

In Alicia Malone's opening comments on this movie, she comments on the main characters and states that Andy's father, Judge Hardy,  is played by Lewis "Mile"stone.  Er, afraid not Alicia, he is played by Lewis Stone...you missed this one by a "mile" :) 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, JoeMastro said:

In Alicia Malone's opening comments on this movie, she comments on the main characters and states that Andy's father, Judge Hardy,  is played by Lewis "Mile"stone.  Er, afraid not Alicia, he is played by Lewis Stone...you missed this one by a "mile" :) 

It appears you just couldn't remain (all) quiet (on the western front) about this mistake of Alicia's here, eh Joe?! ;)

(...yeah yeah, I know...ain't I the clever one here too, huh)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

As Dargo alludes to, Milestone was the director of that early Best Picture-winning war flick. It was an u;nderstandable screw-up, and I'm willing to cut her some slack. It may have read "Milestone" on the cue cards.

Well, not to split hairs here sewhite, but I think you really meant to say "that early Best Picture-winning ANTI-war flick" here, now didn't ya.  ;)

12 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

I didn't pick that up. The Andy hardy movies are so enjoyable. Mickey Rooney was perfect for the part. 

Haven't seen this one yet but I have slowly dug into this series as TCM seems to play them frequently.  Actually in the middle of Blonde Trouble now...

• Like 2

What I wondered about is if MGM had to pay the Lewis Stone's estate for the use of his image in the film Andy Hardy Comes Home.      

While researching this I found out how Stone died of a heart attack:   (Wiki):

"He reportedly suffered a heart attack while chasing away some neighborhood kids who were throwing rocks at his garage. Another published report states that on that date Stone and his third wife were watching television when they heard a racket in the back yard. When he investigated, Stone found lawn furniture once again floating in the pool and glimpsed three or perhaps four teenage boys running toward the street. Stone gave chase despite his wife's warning not to exert himself".

So did Stone die chasing neighborhood Andy Hardy type kids?    Oh,  the irony of life.

I hadn't seen Andy Hardy Comes Home (I have seen all the others in the series);     Interesting that Joey Forman was in the film.   I only knew him from Get Smart and his role as Harry Hoo,  famous Chinese detective.        I never knew Forman and Rooney had such a connection (Wiki):

He first attracted attention in Las Vegas as the opening act for Mickey Rooney and also Rooney's straight man. He also co-starred in Mickey Rooney's 1954–1955 NBC sitcom The Mickey Rooney Show: Hey, Mulligan, as Mickey's best friend.

Did Buck Henry and others creators of Get Smart get the idea for Harry Hoo from Rooney and Breakfast at Tiffany's. 

Joey Forman

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What I wondered about is if MGM had to pay the Lewis Stone's estate for the use of his image in the film Andy Hardy Comes Home.      

"He reportedly suffered a heart attack while chasing away some neighborhood kids who were throwing rocks at his garage. Another published report states that on that date Stone and his third wife were watching television when they heard a racket in the back yard. When he investigated, Stone found lawn furniture once again floating in the pool and glimpsed three or perhaps four teenage boys running toward the street. Stone gave chase despite his wife's warning not to exert himself".

So did Stone die chasing neighborhood Andy Hardy type kids?    Oh,  the irony of life.

I hadn't seen Andy Hardy Comes Home (I have seen all the others in the series);     Interesting that Joey Forman was in the film.   I only knew him from Get Smart and his role as Harry Hoo,  famous Chinese detective.        I never knew Forman and Rooney had such a connection (Wiki):

He first attracted attention in Las Vegas as the opening act for Mickey Rooney and also Rooney's straight man. He also co-starred in Mickey Rooney's 1954–1955 NBC sitcom The Mickey Rooney Show: Hey, Mulligan, as Mickey's best friend.

Did Buck Henry and others creators of Get Smart get the idea for Harry Hoo from Rooney and Breakfast at Tiffanies?      

Joey Forman

whoa, that's not good...

21 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Did Buck Henry and others creators of Get Smart get the idea for Harry Hoo from Rooney and Breakfast at Tiffany's. 

I read that story of Stone dying while chasing kids from his house in the questionable "fact filled" book HOLLYWOOD BABYLON.   It even had a photo of him lying dead on the street.

Interesting query about the Harry Hoo character.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I read that story of Stone dying while chasing kids from his house in the questionable "fact filled" book HOLLYWOOD BABYLON.   It even had a photo of him lying dead on the street.

Interesting query about the Harry Hoo character.

Sepiatone

Yeah, I just read about the Hollywood Babylon book last night and how they took a lot of heat for publishing the picture of his body on the sidewalk.  Then I made the mistake of looking up the photo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Did make it through this film over the long weekend as well as Love Laughs at Andy Hardy.

I do feel like the series should've shown Andy actually meeting the woman he marries, if not actually having a film that revolves around the wedding itself.  I'm guessing the films became more spaced out at the end due to falling popularity, but after the attempt to revive the series with what becomes the final film following a 12 year gab, just feels like so much has taken place that fans feel cheated for the potential storylines/films that we never got.

I've still only seen half of the series (mostly the latter half for some reason) so I guess I still have some films to look forward to.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Did make it through this film over the long weekend as well as Love Laughs at Andy Hardy.

I do feel like the series should've shown Andy actually meeting the woman he marries, if not actually having a film that revolves around the wedding itself.  I'm guessing the films became more spaced out at the end due to falling popularity, but after the attempt to revive the series with what becomes the final film following a 12 year gab, just feels like so much has taken place that fans feel cheated for the potential storylines/films that we never got.

I've still only seen half of the series (mostly the latter half for some reason) so I guess I still have some films to look forward to.

Rooney was no longer under a fixed contract with MGM after the film Words and Music in 1948.        That,  along with the fact Rooney was turning 30,  made ending the Andy Hardy series the right move by all.      So what is odd is that  Goes Home was made at all,  12 years later.    

As for seeing Andy get married:   Wiki has this:

Mickey Rooney tried to persuade Ann Rutherford to return as Polly Benedict, Andy's on-and-off sweetheart in most of the original movies, so the two characters could be a married couple, but Rutherford's salary demands were too high, and the character was written out.[8][9] Andy's wife in the film, Jane (played by Patricia Breslin), had no prior connection to the town of Carvel.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Rooney was no longer a fixed contract with MGM after the film Words and Music in 1948.        That,  along with the fact Rooney was turning 30s,  made ending the Andy Hardy series the right move by all.      So what is odd is that  Goes Home was made at all,  12 years later.    

As for seeing Andy get married:   Wiki has this:

Mickey Rooney tried to persuade Ann Rutherford to return as Polly Benedict, Andy's on-and-off sweetheart in most of the original movies, so the two characters could be a married couple, but Rutherford's salary demands were too high, and the character was written out.[8][9] Andy's wife in the film, Jane (played by Patricia Breslin), had no prior connection to the town of Carvel.

Yeah, I thought the Polly character would've been the natural person for him to marry and didn't like how a new character was introduced as his wife.  I don't believe his high school nephew was ever introduced before either before the final film.  After 12 years they could've even had a different actress play Polly.

4 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Yeah, I thought the Polly character would've been the natural person for him to marry and didn't like how a new character was introduced as his wife.  I don't believe his high school nephew was ever introduced before either before the final film.  After 12 years they could've even had a different actress play Polly.

I agree that more tie-ins with characters from the series would have made Goes Home more of an Andy Hardy film,   but the late 50s was the breakdown of the studio era with so many actors no longer under fixed terms contracts with studios.      E.g.  Lana Turner and Judy Garland,  the most famous of the gals featured in the original series,  where both no long under contract with MGM.     If they were under a fixed term contract,  common during the heyday of the studio-era,   Goes Home could have used them,  in very brief cameos,  without having to pay them anything additional.            

• Thanks 1

I noticed in the three films in the series I watched last week that each one say at the intro 'an Academy Award Film Series' (or something to that effect, i don't see the exact wording on-line) and a quick search shows this:

In 1942, at the height of the series popularity and in a wave of World War II (1939–45) patriotism, a special Academy Award was given to the MGM studio for "its achievement in representing the American Way of Life in the production of the Andy Hardy series of films."

Interesting.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings