Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Neo-Noir, Fridays in July

Neo-noir will be featured on Fridays in July.  Sorry I deleted the Now Playing email and didn't catch the times.  I'm sure someone out there more on top of things will know when it starts and what is featured.

Night Moves will be featured on the final Friday. That’s one that’s not to be missed for anyone who has or hasn’t seen it. Inexplicably neglected in favor of (I believe) lesser neo-noirs like The Long Goodbye and Chinatown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/8/2021 at 12:50 AM, BamaDillert said:

Night Moves will be featured on the final Friday. That’s one that’s not to be missed for anyone who has or hasn’t seen it. Inexplicably neglected in favor of (I believe) lesser neo-noirs like The Long Goodbye and Chinatown.

is this the one with Gene Hackman? If so, it is already high up on my priority list. :) 

1 hour ago, NickAndNora34 said:

is this the one with Gene Hackman? If so, it is already high up on my priority list. :) 

Yes,   Night Moves features Gene Hackman in one of his best roles (and that is saying a lot since he has done a lot of really fine work).

Amazon.com: Night Moves (1975) by Gene Hackman: Movies & TV

• Thanks 2

I watched the movie many years ago as I am a completist on Hackman.I was dismayed with a scene with a big boom microphone in a hotel room or something.I could not believe  it. i guess the print for tv was not framed well ,it could happen i heard.Whoever did this made a big mistake and it is distracting,i will watch it again to see if the print  is now corrected.

Michael Caine was such a bloody self-righteous bastard that I really didn't care who killed

his brother and enjoyed seeing him get whacked at the end of the film. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Friday the 16th's Neo Noir

The first up Pulp was a real snooze fest the only reason to watch for me was to see what a 50 year old Lizabeth Scott looked like 20 years after her last Noir.

PULP (1972): A pulp fiction novelist (Michael Caine) fights to survive an assignment to ghost write a controversial star's memoirs. Mickey Rooney plays Preston Gilbert, the gangster film actor with real life mob ties. Noir goddess Lizabeth Scott plays his flirtatious ex-wife. Dir. Mike Hodges If you really dug Get Carter you'll hate this

Some appropriate review Quotes from IMDb:

"An OK idea falls flat long before end"

"Limp..."

"A neat idea that loses steam after a while...and then it just drags."

"Somewhat inept"

"Not bad but somewhat disappointing"

"Off-the-wall misfire"

"What went wrong?"

"Three-Quarters Baked"

Well you get the idea..... lol (I sure TCM has the rights to show this mess without any additional fees hence its inclusion) . Anyway don't despair it's followed by one of the best of the 80s Neo Noirs. Body Heat.

It should have been set more appropriately in the late 1950s-early 1960s  to explain the lack of air conditioning in private homes, lol. Just think of it as a parallel universe without AC, lol 

BODY HEAT (1981): Shyster Ned Racine (William Hurt) begins a passionate affair with Matty Walker (Kathleen Turner), wife of a wealthy Florida businessman (Richard Crenna). She wants her husband’s money and Ned wants her. Things go badly for Ned. He should have paid attention when she told him, “You aren't too bright. I like that in a man.” Dir. Lawrence Kasdan.

Body Heat

Followed by another great 80s Neo Noir.

TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A. (1985): U.S. Secret Service agent Richard Chance (William L. Petersen) vows revenge when his longtime partner on the force is killed. He sets his sites on his murderer, master counterfeiter Eric Masters (Willem Dafoe) and nothing will stop him. Dir. William Friedkin

To Live And Die in L.A.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A. (1985): U.S. Secret Service agent Richard Chance (William L. Petersen) vows revenge when his longtime partner on the force is killed. He sets his sites on his murderer, master counterfeiter Eric Masters (Willem Dafoe) and nothing will stop him. Dir. William Friedkin

Always liked this one, Mid 1980s fun. Soundtrack by funky techno pop Wang Chung and one of the best car chases. 

My sister in law who worked in production used to share a story which is told on Wikipedia's page on the film. "Over one million dollars of counterfeit money was produced but with three deliberate errors so that it could not be used outside the film. The filmmakers burned most of the fake money but some leaked out, was used, and linked back to the production. The son of one of the crew members tried to use some of the prop money to buy candy at a local store and was caught".

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Unsurprisingly, I just noticed that the starting time on the TCM online schedule is wrong:  Cutter's Way begins at midnight, not at 11:45.  I learned this only by checking on my TV's viewer's guide.  I kind of suspected something was fishy about that 11:45 time, given that the 10:00 movie, Night Moves, runs for 109 minutes, and that alone would make it end at 11:49, even without the introduction and wrapup commentary.  This is a big deal for those of us who are setting our DVD recorders or DVRs and want to record the movies on separate tracks.

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, David Guercio said:

How long is everything usually on the app?  I’m going to see if I could maybe see the Neo Noir lineups I’ve missed.  I’ve been saving room in my DVR for SOTM Elvis.

One week from the original air date is pretty typical for movies that are posted to WatchTCM.  Unfortunately, not all films are included, as determined by the arrangement TCM has with the rights holder.  By the same token, films that are controlled by Warner are sometimes allowed to stay for longer periods for streaming on the app.  Here are the neo-noir titles shown prior to this week and their status:

Harper (1966) - available through Aug 1
Point Blank (1967) - not available
Warning Shot (1967) - not available

Get Carter (1971) - available through Aug 8
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) - not available
Chinatown (1974)  - not available

Pulp (1972) - not available
Body Heat (1981)  - available through Jul 24 (this is the last day!)
To Live and Die in L.A. (1985) - not available

Sorry to say at this point there are only a few titles available for streaming from the previously shown films.

• Thanks 1
On 7/9/2021 at 8:34 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,   Night Moves features Gene Hackman in one of his best roles (and that is saying a lot since he has done a lot of really fine work).

Amazon.com: Night Moves (1975) by Gene Hackman: Movies & TV

I saw this On Demand, I liked it 6/10.

Hackman was at his peak at the time. He had an Oscar for The French Connection (1971), a huge box office hit in The Poseidon Adventure (1972) and critical successes with Scarecrow (1973) and The Conversation (1974). 

Night Moves takes awhile to get going, it spent a lot of time on his marital troubles with his cheating wife (Susan Clark) but the detective story of finding the runaway girl was fairly interesting. A shocker of an ending though.

Apparently most of the discussion about these Neo-Noirs on Friday nights has shifted over to the Noir Alley thread.

16 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Only seen Tequila Sunrise and that was quite a while ago.    It was OK as I recall.  May have to record all three and then watch them later.

Wish they had included Twilight with Newman, Sarandon and Hackman. I only saw part of the film on tv once.. Maybe in the future. I hope this Neo-Noir thing will continue, either on Noir Alley or it's own slot.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) was a great film.  The acting was naturalistic, the production gritty and bleak.  And the ending, absent of any redemption or justice, was perfectly fitting. Eddie Muller's effusive praise in the introduction was not hyperbole.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Hibi said:

Wish they had included Twilight with Newman, Sarandon and Hackman. I only saw part of the film on tv once.. Maybe in the future. I hope this Neo-Noir thing will continue, either on Noir Alley or it's own slot.

This was a pretty good movie, that I saw in the theaters, with an extraordinary cast. The revelation of the actual villain was something of a surprise.  It could be a prime example in the "Same Title, Couldn't Be More Different" thread, when the same title was used for a series of glittery teen vampire movies that made about a billion times as much money as this one. On the other hand, it features Reese Witherspon's first topless appearance!

6 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

This was a pretty good movie, that I saw in the theaters, with an extraordinary cast. The revelation of the actual villain was something of a surprise.  It could be a prime example in the "Same Title, Couldn't Be More Different" thread, when the same title was used for a series of glittery teen vampire movies that made about a billion times as much money as this one. On the other hand, it features Reese Witherspon's first topless appearance!

Melanie Griffith