Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Neo-Noir, Fridays in July

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

Uh, no, Twilgight from the late '90s, which Melanie Griffith was not in.

Thought we were discussing Night Moves which was the Neo-Noir movie.  Never heard of "Twilgight" which I am sure is not a Neo-Noir Friday night presentation.

19 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

This was a pretty good movie, that I saw in the theaters, with an extraordinary cast. The revelation of the actual villain was something of a surprise.  It could be a prime example in the "Same Title, Couldn't Be More Different" thread, when the same title was used for a series of glittery teen vampire movies that made about a billion times as much money as this one. On the other hand, it features Reese Witherspon's first topless appearance!

Yes, wish I could see the whole thing! It didn't do that well despite its cast. Not sure why.

12 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Thought we were discussing Night Moves which was the Neo-Noir movie.  Never heard of "Twilgight" which I am sure is not a Neo-Noir Friday night presentation.

No, it wasn't but I wish it had been scheduled. (The Newman version, that is)

Re TWILIGHT i have seen it first run, great cast, a disapointment,i remember saying to my then girlfriend  it was a movie my granfather would have liked,i will have to see it again but there is not much action if i remember well.

Looking forward to this bunch. Never seen Blade Runner, or Mona Lisa. Tequila Sunrise, yes. It's pretty good and it's LA from my time there so that's always a plus.

Is it just me, or is anyone else having a hard time seeing Blade Runner as Neo Noir, or, well anything other than a Ridley Scott visual feast minus a plot?  

• Like 1

How can you discuss British Neo-noir with Bob Hoskins all week and never once mention The Long Good Friday, which IMDb rates above Mona Lisa?  Delicious violence, better pace, though less humor and romance. TLGF is deeper into the hopeless tone of Get Carter, and hence a more relevant candidate in the Neo-noir category. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

funny......been a LONG time since I saw this

but I thought it was a common thought that.....

(spoiler?)

____________ was a replicant

:huh:

2 hours ago, overeasy said:

or, well anything other than a Ridley Scott visual feast minus a plot?  

Which is what Ben and Eddie basically said at the end of the film. I've never seen it before. It was better than I thought it was going to be but I wasn't expecting much. It was loooong, and slow. It could lose 30 minutes easily. 

• Like 1

Does anybody with a sense of the history of Blade Runner know which version TCM aired? I didn't watch. There have been like six different cuts of this movie. Was it the original theatrical release with the voiceover narration?

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Does anybody with a sense of the history of Blade Runner know which version TCM aired? I didn't watch. There have been like six different cuts of this movie. Was it the original theatrical release with the voiceover narration?

It was the 'Final Cut' version,  no voiceover narration.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4589

Here is a description from the 4K blu-ray release which used the Final Cut version:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-4K-Blu-ray/181637/#Review

If you happen to have HBOMax, it is also being shown there.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, mr6666 said:

funny......been a LONG time since I saw this

but I thought it was a common thought that.....

(spoiler?)

____________ was a replicant

:huh:

That question is pretty much answered in 2049, which I thought was horribly underrated, or at least under appreciated by the movie going public

10 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

It was the 'Final Cut' version,  no voiceover narration.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4589

Here is a description from the 4K blu-ray release which used the Final Cut version:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-4K-Blu-ray/181637/#Review

If you happen to have HBOMax, it is also being shown there.

I prefer the narration; also, the European cut, which is much more graphic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 3:30 PM, 37kitties said:

Johnny Handsome (1989) is a really good neo-noir. Wish they'd chosen it.

Even thoug I lived through this era, I had to look up this title. I was like, "Is this an Anthony Michael Hall movie?" I'm less reticent about it after seeing the actual cast.

Speaking of Mickey Rourke, though, I would have to say Angel Heart is a FANTASTIC neo-noir movie with a supernatural twist.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Even thoug I lived through this era, I had to look up this title. I was like, "Is this an Anthony Michael Hall movie?" I'm less reticent about it after seeing the actual cast.

Speaking of Mickey Rourke, though, I would have to say Angel Heart is a FANTASTIC neo-noir movie with a supernatural twist.

I like Angel Heart too.

There's nothing supernatural about Johnny Handsome but it's a noir as it gets. I've been a big Rourke fan ever since The Pope of Greenwich Village, but I'd have to say that Johnny Handsome is probably my favorite Rourke film.

• Like 2

Watched The Pope of Greenwich Village last night and am wondering if this has been featured in the neo-noir lineup.  No a bad film.  Like Mickey Rourke.

• Like 1
On 8/14/2021 at 11:06 AM, Cigarjoe cellph said:

Cause it was a bit boring.

I forgot what were talking about. Twilight?