Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

William Desmond Taylor Murder, 1922

UMO1982

12 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

Interesting video on the famed murder..... It ruined the careers of Mabel Normand and Mary Miles Minter. Why has no one made a film abut this scandal?

I believe the murder is mentioned in the Broadway musical Mack and Mabel. Taylor is a character in the musical.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsqLa6a6zEEfNBhxXNQZ_

"Back at the studio, a happy Mack has realized the potential of sound in his movies, with singing and dancing. Lottie Ames, another actress in Mack's company, has become a star ("Tap Your Troubles Away"), but Mabel has become a full-time drug addict and her reputation is ruined. To add further to the tragedy, her lover, William Desmond Taylor, is murdered, and she is the prime suspect. By the time Mack is willing to try to patch things up between him and Mabel, it is too late - she has died. But all musicals must have a happy ending, so Mack imagines a happier ending to their story ("I Promise You A Happy Ending")."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

No I mean a real one..... not a fictionizlized white wash

You asked why no one made a film on the subject, and I said that someone has.

Now you are backtracking and calling HOLLYWOOD STORY white wash, when it seems evident that you haven't even watched it or else you would have mentioned it in your opening post.

The real issue is that people are not aware of the film because it is a Universal picture and TCM does not play it.

As you know, one cannot always rely on TCM to see everything one needs to see. :) 

• Like 1

The video is interesting and intriguing but I'm still not certain why King Vidor buried his evidence of the case after investigating it, unless it was out of kindness to Mary Miles Minter, who was still alive at the time.

29 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You asked why no one made a film on the subject, and I said that someone has.

Now you are backtracking and calling HOLLYWOOD STORY white wash, when it seems evident that you haven't even watched it or else you would have mentioned it in your opening post.

The real issue is that people are not aware of the film because it is a Universal picture and TCM does not play it.

As you know, one cannot always rely on TCM to see everything one needs to see. :) 

I have seen it. It's loosely based on and uses no real names.  It's also DECADES before King Vidor's investigation and Cahill's book. Hence, I wonder why no one has made a movie based on the real events of this story based on these RECENT works..... The video says Vidor shelved his work because too many people were still alive..... As I remember Vidor's work on this, Colleen Moore worked with him.

9 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

I have seen it. It's loosely based on and uses no real names.  It's also DECADES before King Vidor's investigation and Cahill's book. Hence, I wonder why no one has made a movie based on the real events of this story based on these RECENT works..... The video says Vidor shelved his work because too many people were still alive..... As I remember Vidor's work on this, Colleen Moore worked with him.

If anything, I would think you'd like HOLLYWOOD STORY because it features cameos from old time silent stars (Francis X. Bushman, Betty Blyth, William Farnum, Elmo Lincoln and Helen Gibson). And that does add some authenticity and realism to the production.

Of course it is not going to be a documentary. But all these films, including the recent MANK which I disliked, embellish the truth with Hollywood fiction.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings