Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Movie Travels - Anyone else doing something similar ??

Just got back from a 10 day jaunt that involved some movie connections -  Happened to be on set in Pawhuska, Oklahoma for the filming of Killers of the Flower Moon, which will star Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio,  and is directed by Martin Scorsese (winner of the Robert Osborne Award).   Didn't see any of the major stars while there, but did manage to catch filming of some of the B-roll of street scenes in the town: folks dressed in costume, Model T Ford automobiles, etc.   The film is based on a book of the same title by David Grann, which covers a series of murders on the Osage Indian Reservation in the early 1900's.  Vignette about the murders is among the opening scenes in The F.B.I. Story, starring Jimmy Stewart (1959)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5537002/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killers_of_the_Flower_Moon    

Also visited the Ben Johnson Cowboy Museum, also located in Pawhuska.  Interesting collection of Oscar-winner Ben Johnson's movie memorabilia and cowboy artifacts -  Visited Ben's grave at the local cemetery.

https://benjohnsoncowboymuseum.com/

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/2252/ben-johnson

Next stop was the Will Rogers  Museum and grave in Claremore, OK.   Nice display of Roger's artifacts, and information about his impact on humor and entertainment before his untimely demise in a plane crash in Alaska in 1935 with his friend, Wiley Post.  Well worth a visit -

https://www.willrogers.com/

Then went on to Augusta Kentucky to visit the former home of Rosemary Clooney.    Very interesting collection of memorabilia from Rosemary's storied career, including of course her appearance in White Christmas.   Lots of other Clooney memorabilia and that of other stars with whom she was associated.  Also visited her grave in nearby Maysville.

https://rosemaryclooney.org/mediaimages.html

Anyone else doing any "movie tours" or having any similar experiences this summer ???? 

• Like 3

I'm going to Los Angeles/San Diego in October.  We're planning on Universal Studios and eating at Musso & Frank's.  I'm also going to the Larry Edmunds Bookshop.  I also hope to see The Brady Bunch House (I know, not Classic Hollywood) when I'm there.  In San Diego, we're spending a few days at the Hotel Del Coronado where Some Like it Hot was filmed.

Not the summer per se, but this past March, we went to an aviation/car museum in Hood River, OR and I saw the two stunt planes flown in The Tarnished Angels.  A couple years ago, I sat in the cockpit of Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose at the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville, OR. 

I also recently attended two films during the Paramount Theater Summer Film Series in Austin, TX.  I saw To Catch a Thief and A Streetcar Named Desire

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

https://www.romecapitol.com/capitolfest-18-current-schedule/

Making my plans for Capitolfest in August....

I really wanted to go to Capitolfest. It is one of my favorite things. But I just can't convince myself that three days in a movie theater is safe. If I got Covid and it killed me that would be bad enough, but if it killed my husband - that would be horrifying. Yes we are both vaccinated, but we are in our 60s and I am diabetic. I hope you have fun though. The lineup looks fantastic.  And since Kallie, the longtime Capitol Cat,  died earlier this year, I hear the Capitol has a new theatre cat on patrol, also a calico. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, cinecrazydc said:

Just got back from a 10 day jaunt that involved some movie connections -  Happened to be on set in Pawhuska, Oklahoma for the filming of Killers of the Flower Moon, which will star Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio,  and is directed by Martin Scorsese (winner of the Robert Osborne Award).   Didn't see any of the major stars while there, but did manage to catch filming of some of the B-roll of street scenes in the town: folks dressed in costume, Model T Ford automobiles, etc.   The film is based on a book of the same title by David Grann, which covers a series of murders on the Osage Indian Reservation in the early 1900's.  Vignette about the murders is among the opening scenes in The F.B.I. Story, starring Jimmy Stewart (1959)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5537002/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killers_of_the_Flower_Moon    

Also visited the Ben Johnson Cowboy Museum, also located in Pawhuska.  Interesting collection of Oscar-winner Ben Johnson's movie memorabilia and cowboy artifacts -  Visited Ben's grave at the local cemetery.

https://benjohnsoncowboymuseum.com/

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/2252/ben-johnson

Next stop was the Will Rogers  Museum and grave in Claremore, OK.   Nice display of Roger's artifacts, and information about his impact on humor and entertainment before his untimely demise in a plane crash in Alaska in 1935 with his friend, Wiley Post.  Well worth a visit -

https://www.willrogers.com/

Then went on to Augusta Kentucky to visit the former home of Rosemary Clooney.    Very interesting collection of memorabilia from Rosemary's storied career, including of course her appearance in White Christmas.   Lots of other Clooney memorabilia and that of other stars with whom she was associated.  Also visited her grave in nearby Maysville.

https://rosemaryclooney.org/mediaimages.html

Anyone else doing any "movie tours" or having any similar experiences this summer ???? 

I am part Osage and an enrolled tribal member, so I'm very interested to see this film.   No one in my immediate family was affected, but my grandmother had a cousin who officially was said to have committed suicide, but it's now believed she was murdered to gain access to her oil money.  We'll never know for sure.

Osage County was also the filming location for August: Osage County, and it's where part of the very large Drummond Ranch holdings are located (they actually own several ranches across the state), where Ree Drummond does her TV shows (The Pioneer Woman) for Food Network, and which has become a mini-industry in Pawhuska.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I am part Osage and an enrolled tribal member, so I'm very interested to see this film.   No one in my immediate family was affected, but my grandmother had a cousin who officially was said to have committed suicide, but it's now believed she was murdered to gain access to her oil money.  We'll never know for sure.

Osage County was also the filming location for August: Osage County, and it's where part of the very large Drummond Ranch holdings are located (they actually own several ranches across the state), where Ree Drummond does her TV shows (The Pioneer Woman) for Food Network, and which has become a mini-industry in Pawhuska.

Thanks for the insightful comment.  Ben Johnson apparently worked as a wrangler for the Chapman-Bernard ranch which, along with the Drummond and Mullendore, was among the biggest ranches in Osage County.  He was assigned by the ranch to take horses to Hollywood where he was spotted by movie mogul Howard Hughes who was filming The Outlaw (1943) with Jane Russell, and the rest, as they say, is history.

According to the book written by Grann, the official (FBI)version of the killings - known colloquially as the "Osage Reign of Terror" -- lasted from approximately 1920-1925, or about 5 years.  However, the number of mysterious Native American deaths went back several years prior to that and even continued several years after that - thus making it perhaps a 15-year "reign of terror."  I, too, am very interested in this film.  I believe it is due for release later this year.   I can also see where Ree Drummond would want to set her tv show in Pawhuska; certainly provides the local history and color for a show like that.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cinecrazydc said:

Thanks for the insightful comment.  Ben Johnson apparently worked as a wrangler for the Chapman-Bernard ranch which, along with the Drummond and Mullendore, was among the biggest ranches in Osage County.  He was assigned by the ranch to take horses to Hollywood where he was spotted by movie mogul Howard Hughes who was filming The Outlaw (1943) with Jane Russell, and the rest, as they say, is history.

According to the book written by Grann, the official (FBI)version of the killings - known colloquially as the "Osage Reign of Terror" -- lasted from approximately 1920-1925, or about 5 years.  However, the number of mysterious Native American deaths went back several years prior to that and even continued several years after that - thus making it perhaps a 15-year "reign of terror."  I, too, am very interested in this film.  I believe it is due for release later this year.   I can also see where Ree Drummond would want to set her tv show in Pawhuska; certainly provides the local history and color for a show like that.

My Grandmother was away at college at the time of those murders, but I never heard her talk about it while she was alive.  I knew the basic story, primarily because of the Jimmy Stewart movie and because my parents had a copy of the book The FBI Story.  I only know the story about her cousin because I ran across her name in a book written by her cousin's grandson, and he interviewed and quoted her a couple years before she passed.  As far as I know, she never told anyone in the family that she had been interviewed for a book.  The book was released after she passed away.

I went all through school (grades 1-12) with a Chapman of that ranch family.  Growing up, we knew they were well-to-do, but we never knew they were extremely wealthy (their family trust is worth at least $1B or so).  But there were a lot of oil-rich people in town, so they didn't really stand out much.  They also have ranches scattered across the state and crossing the Red River into Texas, and one branch of the family has a ranch outside of Corpus Christi, TX.  The Barnard portion of the Osage County ranch was purchased about 25 years ago by The Nature Conservancy to preserve it as one of the last native tall grass prairies.  It was intended to be a national park, but politics got in the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I really wanted to go to Capitolfest. It is one of my favorite things. But I just can't convince myself that three days in a movie theater is safe. If I got Covid and it killed me that would be bad enough, but if it killed my husband - that would be horrifying. Yes we are both vaccinated, but we are in our 60s and I am diabetic. I hope you have fun though. The lineup looks fantastic.  And since Kallie, the longtime Capitol Cat,  died earlier this year, I hear the Capitol has a new theatre cat on patrol, also a calico. 

Don't apologize--the health issues are that frightening. I'll drink a Moxie for you and your husband (and blog my reactions to the Capitolfest lineup here and elsewhere). And I may spend a couple of days in NYC on my way back, in order to pay tribute to an online friend who died last year.

Per Facebook, yes, the Capitol Theatre has acquired Jeannine (named for the female lead of Lilac Time). We'll see if she lives up Kallie's function of reclining in the theater offices' window on the street.

I'm going to visit the historic Stanley Hotel in Estes Park CO.  It was the inspiration for the film "The Shining".  It's suppose to be haunted but I'm not worried.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Toto said:

I'm going to visit the historic Stanley Hotel in Estes Park CO.  It was the inspiration for the film "The Shining".  It's suppose to be haunted but I'm not worried.

I used to be a park ranger at the national park - Rocky Mountain National Park - in Estes, and was in the area when they filmed the movie.   However, the hotel in the film was actually the Timberline Lodge, near Mount Hood in Oregon.  The opening scenes of the film (title credits) -- where the car is winding up the mountain road -- are actually Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park, Montana, not Colorado.  But I think King used the Stanley as his template for the book.    I wouldn't "worry" either ! 😄

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Don't apologize--the health issues are that frightening. I'll drink a Moxie for you and your husband (and blog my reactions to the Capitolfest lineup here and elsewhere). And I may spend a couple of days in NYC on my way back, in order to pay tribute to an online friend who died last year.

Per Facebook, yes, the Capitol Theatre has acquired Jeannine (named for the female lead of Lilac Time). We'll see if she lives up Kallie's function of reclining in the theater offices' window on the street.

I was so glad to hear that the Capitol has adopted Jeannine.  (Or, to be more correct, she has adopted the Capitol.)  Hope to see her in the window.  I was/am a huge fan of Callie (and the Capitol.)

• Like 1

I'm planning on going to Bridgeport CA,  the very small town in the Eastern Sierras that was featured in Out of the Past (where Jeff (Mitchum),  had his gas station).

Typically go there every year to camp and fish (at Twin Lakes),  and in the Walker river which was also featured in Out of the Past (river where Stephanos was hooked by the kid).

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm planning on going to Bridgeport CA,  the very small town in the Eastern Sierras that was featured in Out of the Past (where Jeff (Mitchum),  had his gas station).

Typically go there every year to camp and fish (at Twin Lakes),  and in the Walker river which was also featured in Out of the Past (river where Stephanos was hooked by the kid).

I was gonna say - while there, beware of fly fishing hooks !!!!  😄

• Haha 1

My fuzzy and I had hoped to visit my home city in the fall. Many movies have been filmed there. I considered it a nuisance because of the traffic problems they cause and the number of otherwise-sane people who switch off their brains when within critical distance of a camera.

He has an interest in seeing some locations. Of more interest to me would have been to show my fuzzy the statues of performers and writers. I believe also that it is an unforgiveable crime to not visit the steps. 

I am sorry to say that it appears we may not be able to go because he can not acquire a proper visa.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Just for kicks I looked it up, and apparently you're a good 3-1/2 hours away from Bass Lake.

As for me, I could go down US-209 to get to Elisa [sic] Landi Drive, and then a few more miles to the Hurley Mountain Inn, where some of the scenes in Tootsie were filmed.  I have no idea if the place survived the coronavirus shutdowns.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Fedya said:

Just for kicks I looked it up, and apparently you're a good 3-1/2 hours away from Bass Lake.

As for me, I could go down US-209 to get to Elisa [sic] Landi Drive, and then a few more miles to the Hurley Mountain Inn, where some of the scenes in Tootsie were filmed.  I have no idea if the place survived the coronavirus shutdowns.

Curious why you mention Bass Lake.    E.g. was that lake featured in Out of the Past?     The only lake I recall was Lake Tahoe where Douglas lived. 

No; Bass Lake is the first location I think of when I think the California mountains and movies.  I saw you mention Bridgeport, and I was curious how far it was from Bass Lake.

Well this may not be traveling much but I live about two miles from Vasquez Rocks which has been featured in countless movies. Primarily known for being a location for westerns, The Flintstones was also shot there. So I will count a drive over there and an exercise walk as a Summertime Movie Travel.

• Like 2
On 7/4/2021 at 2:11 PM, cinecrazydc said:

I used to be a park ranger at the national park - Rocky Mountain National Park - in Estes, and was in the area when they filmed the movie.   However, the hotel in the film was actually the Timberline Lodge, near Mount Hood in Oregon.  The opening scenes of the film (title credits) -- where the car is winding up the mountain road -- are actually Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park, Montana, not Colorado.  But I think King used the Stanley as his template for the book.    I wouldn't "worry" either ! 😄

Actually the only part of The Shining filmed in Oregon at Timberline is the exteriors of the hotel, and even then, some of the exteriors use a model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As an Oregon kid I've gone to every Goonies Reunion that is held in Astoria, OR along with my group of childhood friends who all loved the film growing up.  Was cool to take a tour of the house and see some of the cast do Q&A and sign memorabilia, and I did the Truffle Shuffle 5K one year.

Have also gone to Brownsville, OR where Stand By Me was filmed.

And I was born in the hospital in Salem where Cuckoos Nest was filmed.

Next trip to Oregon I want to go see where Buster Keaton's The General was filmed in Cottage Grove, OR.  There's a few sites that explain where the locations are at and apparently the location where the train and bridge collapse into a river (the most expensive film scene in silent film history- or at least it was at the time) created rapids that existed well into the 50's.

The road trip i'd really like to do though is go to Monument Valley and see the location of so many classic Westerns.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

Actually the only part of The Shining filmed in Oregon at Timberline is the exteriors of the hotel, and even then, some of the exteriors use a model.

Yes, in fact most interiors would have been filmed at the studio in Hollywood.  This is generally true of all films. 

On 7/5/2021 at 11:22 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Curious why you mention Bass Lake.    E.g. was that lake featured in Out of the Past?     The only lake I recall was Lake Tahoe where Douglas lived. 

On 7/5/2021 at 11:25 AM, Fedya said:

No; Bass Lake is the first location I think of when I think the California mountains and movies.  I saw you mention Bridgeport, and I was curious how far it was from Bass Lake.

So Fedya, then it appears you might know that Bass Lake, CA (a place where my family would often rent a cabin for a week every other couple of summers back then, and not to far from the southern entrance to Yosemite N.P.) was where many of the scenes in Leave Her to Heaven were filmed, and perhaps most notably the one where Gene Tierney allows little Darryl Hickman to drown in that lake.

(...and coincidentally, another location used in this film would be here in Sedona AZ)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

So Fedya, then it appears you might know that Bass Lake, CA (a place where my family would often rent a cabin for a week every other couple of summers back then, and not to far from the southern entrance to Yosemite N.P.) was where many of the scenes in Leave Her to Heaven were filmed, and perhaps most notably the one where Gene Tierney allows little Darryl Hickman to drown in that lake.

(...and coincidentally, another location used in this film would be here in Sedona AZ)

Great info!    I knew Bass Lake, CA had been used in a movie I had seen but I couldn't recall which one.     I've been to the eastern Sierra a lot more than the western Sierra but I've been to Bass Lake,  and the other major sites in the area.