Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Movie Travels - Anyone else doing something similar ??

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

So Fedya, then it appears you might know that Bass Lake, CA (a place where my family would often rent a cabin for a week every other couple of summers back then, and not to far from the southern entrance to Yosemite N.P.) was where many of the scenes in Leave Her to Heaven were filmed, and perhaps most notably the one where Gene Tierney allows little Darryl Hickman to drown in that lake.

(...and coincidentally, another location used in this film would be here in Sedona AZ)

I must have been misinformed by the dialogue in White Heat, where "The Trader" (Fred Clark), dressed as a fly fisherman,  wanders into Cody's (Cagney's) lair in the Sierra mountains and says to Edmund O'Brien that he's there to catch "bass."    O'Brien tells Cody that he thinks the man is an impostor because "this is trout country.  There ain't no bass within a 100 miles of here !"   From the name of the lake, guess that can't be the case ! 

43 minutes ago, cinecrazydc said:

I must have been misinformed by the dialogue in White Heat, where "The Trader" (Fred Clark), dressed as a fly fisherman,  wanders into Cody's (Cagney's) lair in the Sierra mountains and says to Edmund O'Brien that he's there to catch "bass."    O'Brien tells Cody that he thinks the man is an impostor because "this is trout country.  There ain't no bass within a 100 miles of here !"   From the name of the lake, guess that can't be the case ! 

I'm not an angler myself cinecrazydc, but I've always been under the impression that fly fishing is done mainly to catch trout located in streams and rivers, and not bass located in deep lakes which is done using bait.

And so, with the Fred Clark character dressed as a fly fisherman in White Heat and with him saying that to Edmund O'Brien, I would think that this was meant within the script to imply there being another reason for O'Brien's character to question the veracity of the Clark character. 

Now, I can't remember the mountain location of where Cody and his gang were said to be holed up for a while in this film, but after checking White Heat's filming locations in its IMDb web page, there were no locations listed that were anywhere close to the Sierras, and with the only somewhat rural outdoor filming location shown being Chatsworth and which in 1949 was still fairly rural and a reasonably undeveloped part of L.A.'s San Fernando Valley at that time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I'm not an angler myself cinecrazydc, but I've always been under the impression that fly fishing is done mainly to catch trout located in streams and rivers, and not bass located in deep lakes which is done using bait.

And so, with the Fred Clark character dressed as a fly fisherman in White Heat and with him saying that to Edmund O'Brien, I would think that this was meant within the script to imply there being another reason for O'Brien's character to question the veracity of the Clark character. 

Now, I can't remember the mountain location of where Cody's and his gang were said to be holed up for a while in this film, but after checking White Heat's filming locations in its IMDb web page, there were no locations listed that were anywhere close to the Sierras, and with the only somewhat rural outdoor filming location shown being Chatsworth and which in 1949 was still fairly rural and a reasonably undeveloped part of L.A.'s San Fernando Valley at that time.

Dargo, I yield to your piscatory knowledge of the differences between trout and bass fishing.  My recollection was (and it may not be accurate) that the Fred Clark character was carrying a creel and had a hat with flies stuck in it of the type used for trout.  As the great Hitchcock said, however, "it's only a movie,"  so this scene likely could have been filed anywhere in CA, including Chatsworth (which, of course, is known today for another type of film being shot there -- ha ha 😁).   The only reason I placed Cody's lair in the Sierra was because that appeared to be the scene of the train heist.  But again, there are MANY places in CA that could pass for that locale.   

• Like 2