Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What romances do you just hate?

On 7/3/2021 at 8:25 AM, Dargo said:

Whenever John Wayne is teamed with almost any other actress than Maureen O'Hara.

(...the chemistry just isn't nearly up to the same degree)

The one exception might be in The Searchers. I do think there was some chemistry with his sister in law(Dorothy Jordan?), even though there shouldn't have been. I think both the chemistry and the taboo of the relationship with a "reverend" in the room  was punctuated by Ward Bond turning his head while Ethan Edwards and his sister in law shared a moment.

• Like 3

Regarding romance movies..for me a thread is needed, Romances You Don't Hate.

Just 2..

71bk0fIplOL._SY679_.jpg

51TXBBTT8RL.jpg

Don't know if sparing us a sex scene was a good idea or not. Would had been {ow} an eyeful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

5.  I don't really know(because I've never met him) how nice or not Mickey Rooney was in real life.  But nice enough to catch EIGHT wives, but maybe not nice enough to keep 'em.  ;) 

Sepiatone

You'd think by the time serial marriage devotees get to number 5 or 6 or so, their prospective, supposedly lifetime, mates might question the wisdom of entering into marriage with them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I hate Jeffrey Lynn paired with anybody - Ann Sheridan in "It All Came True",  Priscilla Lane in "Four Daughters, you name it. In "Four Daughters" am I honestly expected to believe that Lane prefers the scarecrow like Lynn to the enigmatic John Garfield? Seriously??? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

re: John Wayne only pairing well with Maureen O'Hara, I think he also made a good romantic partner for Donna Reed in They Were Expendable (1945) and Trouble Along the Way (1953). 

Technically it's not a romance I hate because it tickles me to death, but who can forget Sincerely Yours (1955), in which Liberace had not one but two female romantic leads, Joanne Dru and Dorothy Malone? Oh, the choices a dreamy bachelor has to make. A more likely choice would have been his manager, William Demerest, who ostentatiously smoked a cigar in his bubble bath to avoid suspicion that anything could be amiss. 

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I hate Jeffrey Lynn paired with anybody - Ann Sheridan in "It All Came True",  Priscilla Lane in "Four Daughters, you name it. In "Four Daughters" am I honestly expected to believe that Lane prefers the scarecrow like Lynn to the enigmatic John Garfield? Seriously??? 

Jeffrey Lynn was short-listed for the part of Ashley Wilkes and there's a screen test he made with Paulette Goddard which Selznick ran repeatedly because Paulette practically had the part of Scarlett wrapped up. Just imagine; he could have been so ubiquitous there'd be no avoiding him.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Harrison Ford and Julia Ormand in the remake had no chemistry. 

Could you please direct me to a film where there was chemistry between Ford and anybody? And NO  Chewy doesn't count!

• Haha 2
23 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Could you please direct me to a film where there was chemistry between Ford and anybody? And NO  Chewy doesn't count!

I've always thought the chemistry between these two in Raiders was palpable...

Karen-Allen-Indiana-Jones-40th-Anniversa

And for that matter, I've always thought it was there with Ford and Kelly McGillis here in Witness too...

f56d45e6601503af3f08cb36f53cc693.jpg

(...of course then again, maybe its just in the hats he wore in these two flicks, eh Moe?!)  ;)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This thread is about romance in MOVIES - nothing else!

A non political thread could be started i.e. Actors Whom Fallen in Love on the Set.

Will Smith And Jada Pinkett Smith

Will Smith And Jada Pinkett Smith

I didn't like the kind of romance of Ken Curtis and Vera Miles in the Searchers. Sure, it was a set up for a showdown between Ken Curtis and Jeffrey Hunter to see who will marry the girl, but it is somewhat implied that there was some kind of relationship between Ken and Vera while Jeffrey was off for months at a time. Ken Curtis' hick character and Vera Miles as an attractive young lady just kind of creeped me out picturing the two of them together as engaged and soon to be husband and wife. 

Also, Howard Hughes and any of the attractive young starlets he was coupled with. Sure, I may be influenced by what he turned into, but even as a younger man he appeared to be mismatched with Rita Hayworth, Virginia Mayo, Ava Gardner, Yvonne DeCarlo, etc.

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Karen-Allen-Indiana-Jones-40th-Anniversa

And for that matter, I've always thought it was there with Ford and Kelly McGillis here in Witness too...

f56d45e6601503af3f08cb36f53cc693.jpg

(...of course then again, maybe its just in the hats he wore in these two flicks, eh Moe?!)  ;)

I figured we'd get an Indiana Jones. They argue like an old jewish couple, plus it' s a cartoon so it's like Batman and Batgirl. I'm glad they found each other but please don't procreate. Kelly McGillis had more chemistry with Maverick, and I guarantee he ended up with Goose's old lady.

Leslie Caron is the common factor in two of my answers.

I absolutely didn't buy Caron with Gene Kelly in An American in Paris.

Also, Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron seemed too far apart in age in Daddy Longlegs.

• Like 2

Grease was a highly successful movie but I always had a problem with the romance in it.  Why did the wholesome exchange student (played by Olivia Newton John) go for the greaser Danny (played by John Travolta) when it was so clear that Danny just wanted one thing.  Lyrics in the songs like the greasers singing "did she put up a fight?" are creepy.

• Like 2

Once again, I think age plays into another romance in Charade. Even though I think Cary Grant is very handsome at any age, there were times in this movie when a nearly 60 year old Grant looked old in comparison to a 34 year old Audrey Hepburn.

Even though an earlier commenter was ok with this, and in many parts of the movie it was ok to me, there were enough moments where I was saying to myself, he is too old for her.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, hamradio said:

This thread is about romance in MOVIES - nothing else!

Actually I started the thread and didn't restrict it to movies.  In fact, I asked whether this thread should be here because I also wanted to discuss television series.  In particular I did not like the way Jane the Virgin ended.  It turned out her first husband Michael was not dead, but had actually been kidnapped, assaulted and traumatized by the series' recurrent villain.  And it was presented in such a way that his suffering was less important than the inconvenience this meant to Jane and her eventual husband.  I'm surprised conservatives weren't more outraged by this.    The whole point of the series was that Jane needed to get over her grandmother's moralistic Catholic dogma about sex.  Not only did she, but she also got over her Catholic marriage vows under circumstances when she should be standing by him. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Actually I started the thread and didn't restrict it to movies.  In fact, I asked whether this thread should be here because I also wanted to discuss television series.  In particular I did not like the way Jane the Virgin ended.  It turned out her first husband Michael was not dead, but had actually been kidnapped, assaulted and traumatized by the series' recurrent villain.  And it was presented in such a way that his suffering was less important than the inconvenience this meant to Jane and her eventual husband.  I'm surprised conservatives weren't more outraged by this.    The whole point of the series was that Jane needed to get over her grandmother's moralistic Catholic dogma about sex.  Not only did she, but she also got over her Catholic marriage vows under circumstances when she should be standing by him. 

Were only stating this wasn't for politics. The moderator removed all those before your reply.

5 hours ago, hamradio said:

Were only stating this wasn't for politics. The moderator removed all those before your reply.

You don't see a romance between Democrats and Republicans these days?

32 minutes ago, Stallion said:

You don't see a romance between Democrats and Republicans these days?

You mean like this?...

51UvW5YFgDL.jpg

(...nope, probably not anymore now days, huh) 

;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Dargo said:

After sleeping on it I remembered The Devil's Own, and Patriot Games. Patriot Games maybe more so since the wife has a Targa 911.

145b62800092afa7557c6e6c83813107.jpgvxLp3we47ABKtYqLpZWHzEoFnN8.jpg

• Like 1

I read the book; it is definitely the two I mentioned (and, I believe, The Fat Man is killed).  Also, the quote from The Tempest was added.

Having just watched Bonfire of the Vanities (also hearing about Uma Thurman being auditioned when Melanie G. (her boobs expanded since Working Girl) was already promised the role), I would say that there was terrible chemistry all round.  Tom Hanks had more chemistry with Alan King than either Kim C. or Melanie G.  

As for age differences, James Stewart and Kim Novak had an age gap.  They had good chemistry.

Sometimes, stars are paired together for box office clout.  For example, Julia Robert & Nick Nolte.  And she made two films with Richard Gere (Pretty Woman and Runaway Bride).  Yes, there was an age difference, but there was also chemistry.

Now, Harold & Maude with Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort was creepy for many reasons.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Toto said:

Grease was a highly successful movie but I always had a problem with the romance in it.  Why did the wholesome exchange student (played by Olivia Newton John) go for the greaser Danny (played by John Travolta) when it was so clear that Danny just wanted one thing.  Lyrics in the songs like the greasers singing "did she put up a fight?" are creepy.

What!  You walked in at the middle of it?   Remember....

They met and had a summer "romance" somewhere before Sandy moved to Danny's hometown and registered at Rydell high.  And THEN found out he was a "greaser".   At the pep rally, remember?  ;) 

And speaking of creepy romances, here's one that didn't really get off the ground.  Except for being in the bell tower! ;) 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Now, Harold & Maude with Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort was creepy for many reasons.

GAD!  We're getting some really hyper sensitive people 'round here lately.  But while initially the relationship between Harold and Maude might seem "creepy" to some, it really did point out that love can't be planned or orchestrated( as in Harold's Mother's attempts to "fix him up".) and had no age-to-age restrictions or requirements.  If it did, I might have never married my second wife(ten years my senior).  And it's about opening your heart and not caring about how other people feel about it.  but how YOU feel.  ;)  Who knows, CHAYA.....

The love of YOUR life might wind up being some pruney codger old enough to be your Grandpa! 

Sepiatone

• Like 3