Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What romances do you just hate?

As most y'all know,my wife was 10 years my senior.  And we found PLENTY to talk about.  And while several of her interests and mine were the same,  it was the other interests that we could introduce and interest each other in that made our lives enjoyable.  ie;  In my past life(1st marriage) I could never get much into decorating for Christmas.  And she showed me the joy of turning our home into "Christmas central".  And before she never gave a second thought to classical music, but wound up enjoying going to DSO concerts and Beethoven's 9th symphony became her favorite.   And her being Mexican got me to learn there's more to Mexican cuisine than tacos, burritos and guacamole.  ;)   So, you see?

It's not the AGE that really matters.  It's the PEOPLE involved.

Sepiatone

• Like 5

I just watched "That Touch of Mink" for the first time and found the Day/Grant chemistry lacking. Especially since Gig Young (who is in the picture) and Day seem better-suited.

I then watched Grant in "Charade" and thought the chemistry with Hepburn rather spectacular.

Matters of age seem to work more depending on the pairing than anything else. But I am a firm believer that until the cortex is fully formed (aged 25), no one whose is should be allowed into a relationship with anyone whose isn't.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

As most y'all know,my wife was 10 years my senior.  And we found PLENTY to talk about.

Well yeah. I'm now the cougar-MrTiki is 10 years younger and everything's fine. It really doesn't have much to do with age, more about attitude & experience.

I had expected & relied on an older man to be wiser & make better choices for both of us.  I'm now the wise one guiding MrTiki through the joys of aging: I told him once he turned 40 to expect his arms would get shorter while reading-he was amazed when it happened!

I can't stand movie romances where WE know the guy/gal is a jerk, yet there is some dumb cluck that clings to them no matter what. That is wisdom....knowing when a person is detrimental to your life, not enhancing it.

I think of Paul Douglas/Barbara Stanwyck in CLASH BY NIGHT and Jean Hagen/Sterling Hayden in ASPHALT JUNGLE off the top of my head.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I told him once he turned 40 to expect his arms would get shorter while reading-he was amazed when it happened!

It was different for me.  Shortly after turning 40 my arms were too LONG and I had to pull what I was reading closer, and SQUINT hard to make it out.  My wife certainly didn't prepare me for that.   But her eyesight issues had nothing to do with age as much as with her diabetes.  And they were more complex due to it.   But frankly.....

I've always thought, in the HAGEN /HAYDEN scenario that it was HAYDEN who was the "dumb cluck"  The Hagen character seemed to truly love Dix to pieces and would have done anything to make his life a happy one.  But which path did he choose?  Maybe he figured HE was no good for HER, but really, it wasn't HIS decision to make.      And also...

My Mom, who in retrospect seemed to be a "feminist" before the word became a catchphrase and the concept became a hot button topic once quipped about George Orwell's ANIMAL FARM----

"As long as MEN are running this world, Orwell hit the nail by having PIGS running things in his book!"  And of course, we all know that famous last sentence.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Good Lord! It's awful.

Yes, abysmal. Excellent production values, but the movie itself is a misfire.

• Like 3
On 7/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, TopBilled said:

With Gary Cooper in LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON (a major mismatch).

It's been suggested that movie and Ninotchka would be better movies with Cary Grant in the lead.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, skimpole said:

It's been suggested that movie and Ninotchka would be better movies with Cary Grant in the lead.

Possibly. I don't have any issues with Melvyn Douglas in NINOTCHKA. In fact I think he's a better actor than Grant.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Possibly. I don't have any issues with Melvyn Douglas in NINOTCHKA. In fact I think he's a better actor than Grant.

I wouldn't go that far since Grant is my personal all time icon but I will say I wouldn't want Douglas replaced in Ninotchka. He was brilliant in the role!

• Like 3

Cary Grant only did one dramatic film and he was very good in it.

Melvyn Douglas (didn't realize Ileana Douglas was his granddaughter) teamed with Garbo again.  They had great chemistry.  He could do both drama and comedy.  Isn't he with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy in Mr. Buildings Builds His Dreamhouse?  He also re-teamed with Garbo in Two-Faced Woman.  He was in Hud with Paul Newman (won the 1st of two Oscars for role - 2nd was for Being There).  He was married to Helen Gahagan Douglas (who Nixon - aka Tricky Dick - vilified).

Speaking of Cary Grant, Stewart won the Oscar for The Philadelphia Story because he lost out the previous year, but I liked Grant's performance.  No chemistry between Hepburn and the man whom she plans to marry.  Didn't feel chemistry between Ruth Hussey (sp?) and Stewart either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Melvyn Douglas (didn't realize Ileana Douglas was his granddaughter) teamed with Garbo again.  They had great chemistry.  He could do both drama and comedy.  Isn't he with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy in Mr. Buildings Builds His Dreamhouse?  He also re-teamed with Garbo in Two-Faced Woman.  He was in Hud with Paul Newman (won the 1st of two Oscars for role - 2nd was for Being There).  He was married to Helen Gahagan Douglas (who Nixon - aka Tricky Dick - vilified).

Speaking of Cary Grant, Stewart won the Oscar for The Philadelphia Story because he lost out the previous year, but I liked Grant's performance.  No chemistry between Hepburn and the man whom she plans to marry.  Didn't feel chemistry between Ruth Hussey (sp?) and Stewart either.

He was indeed in Mr. Blandings! Played the narrator and Cary's best friend/attorney. His dry sense of humor matched well with Grant and Loy.

Excellent actor!

• Like 5
9 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

You're right...Grant and Douglas were both in MR. BLANDINGS.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Mel Gibson's romance with Sophie Marceau in Braveheart,  while cuckolding Edward II, is so preposterous that I lost all respect for the movie. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I was never crazy about the pairing of Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt in AS GOOD AS IT GETS.

Aside from the age difference (he was old enough to be her dad) his character was too much of a jerk for me to buy her changing her tune about him in such a short time. Certainly not enough to want him for a boyfriend.

(SPOILERS) And in reality I think he would have ended up taking Simon's dog to the dog pound rather than care for it himself, no matter what Simon's friend threatened to do to him. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, skimpole said:

I do not think Russell Crowe has chemistry with anyone in Gladiator.  Indeed, it could be argued that he does not have chemistry with anyone in any movie.

GLADIATOR is one of my favorite, so I am going to have to disagree.

I love the tension between Crowe's Maximus and Joaquin Phoenix's Commodus....I could really believe that they hated each other's guts.

Of course having seen the video on youtube where Crowe won Best Actor and Phoenix embraces him....what a sharp contrast there.

"An Affair To Remember". Why do all of those people on the cruise care so much about what two strangers do? Is this just what the 50s were about? If I'm on a cruise I'm only interested in what I want to do. And if nobody shows up on  the specified date - just do nothing? Don't look for them and find out what happened?  But I guess they need this silly plot point for the rest of the movie to happen. I also think that the dialogue was over the top too. Just not my movie. 

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

"An Affair To Remember". Why do all of those people on the cruise care so much about what two strangers do? Is this just what the 50s were about? If I'm on a cruise I'm only interested in what I want to do. And if nobody shows up on  the specified date - just do nothing? Don't look for them and find out what happened?  But I guess they need this silly plot point for the rest of the movie to happen. I also think that the dialogue was over the top too. Just not my movie. 

They weren't on a cruise - they were on a liner on an Atlantic crossing.  There's nothing to do except whatever's on board (no intermediate port stops), and a lot of activities were organized activities that encouraged passenger mingling.    Also, liners back then held fewer passengers than cruise ships today (the Constitution held 1000 passengers at that time), and people became friendly with one another (especially those in the same class of passage).  They had 7 or 8 days of being together.

The Cary Grant character was a well-known international playboy, so it would be the same today if a celebrity were on board (though today the celebrity would likely be sequestered and never seen).

I agree the Empire State Building meet-up is contrived. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

Vertigo gets my vote for creepiest romance. 

ageVertigo.jpg.5ee6d78c20e3d3df109b5d75dc38b5b9.jpg

Can't argue with that.

(SPOILERS) Although it is kind of tragic that Scottie loses the girl, not once but twice.

I suspect he's going to end up with a longer stint in the funny farm after the movie ends.

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Can't argue with that.

(SPOILERS) Although it is kind of tragic that Scottie loses the girl, not once but twice.

I suspect he's going to end up with a longer stint in the funny farm after the movie ends.

Today, Scottie would be arrested for stalking Judy (afterthe "mystery" of the wandering Madeleine was concluded with that odd tribunal scene, and his detective job was over), and put on a restraining order, even though he was living in his own dream world and no longer grounded in reality.

And unrequited Midge would probably end up taking care of him until the day he died.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Vertigo gets my vote for creepiest romance. 

ageVertigo.jpg.5ee6d78c20e3d3df109b5d75dc38b5b9.jpg

Plus he's working for the husband and ends up stealing his wife! Some friend! That is not actually what happens, but from Scotty's viewpoint that is what he is doing.

I'm  sorry but I never could see Catherine Deneuve falling for a Sluggo  like Gerard Depardieu. To me, he was the least leading man of all leading men.

Dernier metro affiche.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

I'm  sorry but I never could see Catherine Deneuve falling for a Sluggo  like Gerard Depardieu. To me, he was the least leading man of all leading men.

While Catherine Deneuve is beautiful I always found a young Gerard Depardieu, although not traditionally handsome, pretty appealing.